Author Topic: Starter Motor Saftey Unit question  (Read 952 times)

Offline CluGuySam

Starter Motor Saftey Unit question
« on: July 05, 2019, 06:57:29 pm »
so I'm trying to get just the essentials for my cb550 wiring harness. I'm deleting the starter motor since it is bad anyways, and just going with the kick start. What I'm wondering about is if the "starter motor safety unit" is connected to anything else important or if I can just terminate the wires leading up to the plug and still be able to start bike with kick start? 

Iv looked over the wiring diagram, and it appears to connect to the power switch on the handlebars, along with the neutral safety switch in the case as well as jumping to the starter solenoid. if I remove from that unit Blk,LG/R,G,G/R,Y/R and trace them back to the corresponding components, will it prevent me from being ale to kick the motor over, or will I be good??   

I have a good understanding of how to read diagrams , this is just stumping me for some reason,  :-\

Thanks in advance for any incite on my predicament. 

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: Starter Motor Saftey Unit question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 07:07:42 pm »
so I'm trying to get just the essentials for my cb550 wiring harness. I'm deleting the starter motor since it is bad anyways, and just going with the kick start. What I'm wondering about is if the "starter motor safety unit" is connected to anything else important or if I can just terminate the wires leading up to the plug and still be able to start bike with kick start? 

Iv looked over the wiring diagram, and it appears to connect to the power switch on the handlebars, along with the neutral safety switch in the case as well as jumping to the starter solenoid. if I remove from that unit Blk,LG/R,G,G/R,Y/R and trace them back to the corresponding components, will it prevent me from being ale to kick the motor over, or will I be good??   

I have a good understanding of how to read diagrams , this is just stumping me for some reason,  :-\

Thanks in advance for any incite on my predicament.

The way that originally worked was: it prevented the solenoid from turning ON when the button was pressed unless the bike was in Neutral. It can be kick-started in any gear, though, or in Neutral. ;)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline CluGuySam

Re: Starter Motor Saftey Unit question
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 07:49:06 pm »
okay good to know thank you,  I suppose I will commence to cutting then, LOL  Thanks HondaMan