Author Topic: XDA race at Maryland international Dragway  (Read 1698 times)

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
XDA race at Maryland international Dragway
« on: June 22, 2019, 09:01:17 pm »
We made it to the first day of the two day event at MIR for the XDA race. I entered top sportsman, street ET and super comp(5.60 index). Qualified in the 21st spot out of 32 bikes with an 8.05. It was a quick field because the bump spot was 8.20. I qualified in the 16spot in the 5.6 index class with a 5.65. I had to short shift the bike to slow it down. Made the first time run in street et on the Honda and netted a 10.58 ET @121mph. I elected to miss my 2nd time run so I could do some unexpected work on the CB. I noticed one of my gas lines on the dual inlet of the filter was about to slip off. It was difficult to get the line to slip on the nipple further so I decided to install new hose to permanently solve a potentially bad fuel leakage problem. I got the bike fixed in time to make first round of eliminations. I had the wife to put a dial in of 10.68 on the bike because the weather had heated up from the morning time run and there was a slight cross wind that could potentially impact my ET. None of it real mattered in the end because I redlighted. Bike ran a 10.55 on that pass. I decided to re-enter the race and lowered the dial to a 10.52. I was a little gun shy at the tree and made a conscious effort not to foul start again. To my detriment, I was late leaving the line against a quicker opponent. Since I left first, I was able to look back at him as we neared the ET cone and he was right beside me. I knew I had really left late from the line and likely would not cross the line first. Sure enough, his win light came on but I also broke out, 10.51 on my 10.52 dial in. Oh well. That ended my day on the 750. We'll be back at it early in the morning. I'm optimistic I will have a much better day on Sunday. Eliminations for top sportsman begins around noon with 5.60 eliminations following thereafter. Will do first round for street ET in the early morning.

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
Re: XDA race at Maryland international Dragway
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 09:07:31 pm »
We're having vicarious fun at your expense :) :) :)

10.52 on that bike is 'cookin' ;D ;D
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 02:50:48 am »
Good report Frank. It sounds like the team is well oiled. Good luck today.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 09:48:34 am »
Old Reliable is still doing 10.5's.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 12:05:04 pm »
Good luck today frank

Sent from my LG-US601 using Tapatalk

mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 03:36:12 pm »
Forgot to mention that I had a horrible thing happen even before I got on the track yesterday morning. Prior to a race event I put each bike onto a set of stands so it can be checked over thoroughly. I also change the oil and filter. Typically I try to fire each one up before its loaded in the trailer to be certain it runs okay. Lately I've been skipping that step, I suppose its being over confidant in my equipment or just having to many to work on and trying to save time. Moving back to yesterday morning, I unloaded the 3 bikes from the trailer and started up both of the Kawasakis. All checked out well with some minor carb tweaking so the wife carried the outboard starter cart up to the staging area. Last to fire up was the 750. I normally spray a little fuel into each carb before I attempt to kick start the bike. 99.9% of the time it fires right up with one kick only. As usual, it started and idled just fine. I left it to warm up for a few minutes and went into my trailer to get the air guage. Something told me to look back at the bike and I about had a heartache. Oil was flowing like,a faucet out of the front of the bike and rolling all under the bike. I dashed out of the trailer and shut it down. All I could do then is grab every towel out of the trailer I could find to absorb the oil and keep it contained in a small area under the bike. Crap!!!. And you all know the rest of the story based on your own common sense..

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 03:42:19 pm »
Damn,sorry to hear that frank

mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 10:42:58 pm »
It was a simple fix. The filter housing wasn't seated correctly in the locating boss. I reclocked it and tightened it back down and was good to go for the weekend. Stupid mistake.

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 04:27:39 am »
Good to hear

mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 10:09:46 pm »
Late follow up post from Sunday eliminations. First out Sunday morning was the first round eliminations for pro ET. Because you have to enter 2 days of Pro ET to qualify for top sportsman, I used this round as a time run to get my bike dialed in. The idea was even if I won this round, I probably would not go back up for 2nd round. My primary purpose for the race was just to run top sportsman because I was also entered in 2 other classes and I didn't want to run my wife or myself ragged. I dialed in at an 8.06 to my opponents 8.18. He left first and I gave chase only for the bike not to shift into 3rd via autoshift so I plugged the override button myself. I had lost a good deal of ground so i rolled out of the throttle to an 11.29 pass. I was disappointed with no useable data but I didn't see any oil or broken parts at the end of the track. Back in the pit area, I checked the bike over and never found a problem. Maybe it was just a gremlin!! They were calling first round of top sportsman to the lanes just as I was buttoning everything back up from my hurried inspection. I already knew who I was paired with so I rolled my bike into the lanes at the designated number and waited. Odd thing, as I was sitting there waiting, my opponent from the pro ET round came up and congratulates me on the win. What??? Turns out he actually broke out and lost. Crazy!! Even stranger, my opponent in T/S was Robin Procoppio. I  had raced this lady at the Virginia event and lost because I rolled out of the throttle to far away from the finish line. I knew I wouldn't make that mistake today. I kept my8.06 dial in. She was shooting for a 7.96 dial in so I got to leave first. We both staged up and I released when I saw the last yellow bulb. Damn, I let go a tad too early and red lighted but made the full pass anyway. As I crossed the stripe, I felt something dumb going on with the handling of the bike. The slower I got the worst it felt and then I could he's a dragging moise. Crap, did the brake stay come loose our something?? I got the bike stopped and looked to the right rear to see my nitrous oxide bottle hanging from under the bike. It was being drug as I crossed the stripe by the braided steel line. I counted my blessings because the bottle could have gotten completely under that 10" wide drag slick and thrown the bike into the air. Or even worse, it could have dislodged itself and hit the other rider. I took the body off  and luckily had a wrench in the tow scooter to disconnect the line for the trip back to the pit area. They were then calling for first round in the 1/8 mile, 5.60 index class. As soon as we parked the top sportsman bike, I jumped on the 5.60 index bike for the tow to the lanes. They don't use,a ladder to pair this class until 3rd round. For now, it was random draw by the cards. I knew my bike was too quick for the index so I had to have a better reaction time than my opponent so I  control the stripe. I staged first on the 4 tenths pro tree and my opponent turned on his top bulb afterwards but he then turned on both his bulbs for a split second before deep staging (turning off the prestage bulb). The heck?? Its allowed to deep stage but then he pulls back to turn both lights on again. I didn't allow myself to get caught up in that game so when the tree flashed, I release and was out front. I was looking back at the guy and still thinking I didn't want to go to quick and breakout. I was short shifting the bike to scrub ET. I even bumped the shift button a few times to momentarily kill the engine and knock off a little time. I guess I played a bit too much because he caught me,at the stripe and crossed first. I ran a slowing 5.73 to his quicker 5.65. His constant momentum pushed him past for the win. Dang it. Won't do that again. I've got to detune the bike to get closer to the index. My crew chief towed me back to the pit area in time to get ready for street ET.This would be my final chance for the weekend to make rounds. I was trusting the faithful CB to help me reach my goal. I dialed a 10.55 against a quicker opponent. I had been redlighting every pass so I had a self talk about waiting a little longer before releasing the clutch lever. I rolled into the beams slowly to be aware of shallow staging. I didn't want to loose the race,at the starting Lin or this was going to be a short day for the team. Once all 4 ambers were lit, my tree started to drop. I was only concentrating on the 3rd yellow bulb as I normally would. I released when the bulb was staring me in the face only to turned on the blasted red eye once again. Crap. Day over. I counted my blessings once again even though I was done for the weekend. I hadn't gotten hurt, I didn't hurt anyone, and all my bikes were in working order. 7 hours later we arrived home safely. It was a good weekend of racing.

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 03:20:19 pm »
Sorry to hear frank,ya'll coming back to vmp in august?

mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 03:51:09 pm »
We always want 'one more good run' especially when we know it was 'my fault' ;) ;) for not getting it on the last run :(
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2019, 04:56:25 am »

We always want 'one more good run' especially when we know it was 'my fault' ;) ;) for not getting it on the last run :(

Dennis,
 You said it exactly right. Apparently I didn't learn anything all weekend because I kept making the same mistake by redlighting. I thought I was making mental adjustments each time to avoid the foul start but to no avail in reality. I intend to arrive the day prior to the actual event next month and take advantage of their test and tune sessions. Perhaps then I can figure out the key to not going red but also not sleeping the tree.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 10:50:27 am »
Are all the trees at different tracks timed the same?
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2019, 12:34:49 pm »
Are all the trees at different tracks timed the same?

My question too Jerry.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread