Author Topic: Chrome 836 Tracy Project! (Sold 04/15/2023). It was fun!  (Read 162983 times)

billybobobrain

Re: My chrome 836 Tracy Project!
« Reply #625 on: April 23, 2009, 11:59:40 pm »

Well THERE's yer problem!

:D

Think I have a spare rectifier somewhere if you need one.

mystic_1

Buddy up the road has a rectifier off of a 79DOHC, could it will work?
If not I will need one. I did PM Gordon as he said he had a spare as well.

As for painting..............I'm going to skip it for a while.  Very retro now  8)

Check your "O" ring on your tappet cover!

Offline RRRToolSolutions

• Expert
  • I love old Japanese bikes!
« Reply #626 on: April 24, 2009, 04:52:26 am »
Derek, I know a trick - I learned the hard way when trying to install a set of CR29's onto my new manifolds.

You need to install all 4 of those rubber manifolds onto the cylinder intake spiggots. Then turn each one until they all are perfectly "flat and perpendicular to one another". I'm serious - once turned/adjusted, those manifolds will align perfectly level and flat - that carb would not have popped-off had they been. I can see the right (#4) is not aligned - it is turned too far counter clock-wise and almost pointing up/out. Again, I learned the hard way and was cussing the carbs and petcock -

Seriously, I was cussing and not happy at all about the fit and the huge effort to install. After talking with Buzz at Dynoman, he asked me "do you have all of the rubber manifolds all perfectly aligned and 100% verticle across the back surface?" I pulled the carbs completely off, did the rubber alignment and man, what a difference!! When you look at the back sides - they should be perfectly level and so straight - you could lay a straight edge on them and they will be perfectly level and flat. Please take the carbs off and make the turns needed for perfect alignment.

Here are before/afters - Regards, Gordon

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 04:58:22 am by Ilbikes »
Kaws, Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis - especially Kaws

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #627 on: April 24, 2009, 09:11:52 am »
Have not tried in 20 years but it worked for me.

As he said line the rubbers oup , then wet your finger in oil, and wipe around the carb spigots,, then line op the left end #1, so it just starts.. then work across wiggling them a bit, should all pop in easy..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #628 on: April 24, 2009, 11:51:46 am »
I did set up the boots better the 2nd time around ;D

Live and learn.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #629 on: April 24, 2009, 02:09:16 pm »
I used a 2X4 to help align the boots. Nice flat squared surface. Just about the correct size. Put the carbs in the bottom of the lubricated boots and lifted up
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #630 on: April 26, 2009, 07:24:39 pm »
Derek,

Have a brake torque arm bolt here for you.  PM me your shipping address and I'll send it off.  It's not shiny but it's in better shape than the one you posted earlier :)

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline A Grove

• Some people call me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #631 on: April 28, 2009, 08:36:58 am »
seaweb... Have you ever thought of getting the tracy coated with that new'ish "chrome paint"?  Would fit your scheme nicely... just not sure how it'll last/hold up.
http://alsacorp.com/chrome.htm?gclid=CNv96NDzk5oCFQVaFQodsS93MQ
http://www.google.com/search?q=chrome+paint&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&safe=active

MIMP

« Reply #632 on: April 29, 2009, 08:26:25 pm »
Hi all: Let me introduce myself. My name is Richard Burton, and I am the owner of Mirror Image Metal Polishing. I am the polisher that Derek (seawebb11) took his Lester wheels and brake reservoir to for polishing. Cliff (magpie) recommended us to Derek.

My background: ten years at Victoria Plating, foreman of the polishing shop. Left to start Mirror Image. That was twenty six years ago and we are still going strong. We have established an excellent reputation for the collector and custom car, bike and specialty market. Services include glass bead blasting, polishing of brass, copper, stainless steel and aluminum.

We also do repairs. We are a custom shop, it is myself and my 23 year old son (who started part-time at 13 and has worked full-time for 5 years). We are currently charging sixty dollars per hour (local competition charge ninety dollars per hour). We are both gear heads and fussy people, if we can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear we will sure try. Our shop is a production shop; we take the time on the details of each individual piece. We strive for show quality in all our work.

We can help  you with your project and would be happy to do so. We can be reached from anywhere in North America at 1-800-870-5544, and locally (Victoria) at 250-479-5438, and I am available by email at mimp@telus.net.

Thanks
Richard

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #633 on: April 30, 2009, 08:58:34 pm »
I had been bombing around the Island last week. Problem was, I was getting a dead battery from time to time ???  Pulled the body off and scoured the FAQ's and went at it.

I can only get 13.5  -13-7 volts at 4000 rpm. Everything I read says I should be getting 14-15.

I have cleaned all wires, check continuity on all yellows from alt., taken apart voltage regulator, checked rectifier........blah, blah, blah, My home made gas drip was a bit shy of fuel on the left side and all I accomplished was a bronzing of my outside left "NEW PIPE!!!!!!!! :P

I SUCK AT THIS.

Oh I also forgot to remove the pipe cleaner from my tank before Por-15 dryed :P :P  Oh yea, its in there good now. F8ck!

How was your day?

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #634 on: April 30, 2009, 10:31:32 pm »
Dewd, my day sucked worse than your's. I had to WORK. But today will pay for Jay to set up the cylinders he received today for the 900 kit  8)

I started to go backwards and look for coil pictures but decided 43 pages was too much. What coils, ignition, headlight bulb, etc are you running? I'm assuming you have a good frame ground thats grounded to bare metal and not paint? Speaking of which, what about your semi fried harness?

What you read and what you get can be 2 different things. I have played around with my electricals trying to achieve the holy grail of 14.5V. No way. Pain in the royal ass. 13.8V perhaps max. 3 ohm Dyna coils, Dyna III ignition, halogen bulb. Reminds me of an old GF sucking the juice right outta my system. Draining to say the least. I replaced the harness with a better looking used one. I cleaned about 1.5 gazillion FN connectors. I've used stock reg/rect and Electrex solid state unit. I try not to do too many traffic lights and stop and go. I know thats a big problem on the island. My last ditch effort is to use the NOS harness at rebuild. OR, I just thought, I'm gonna call Myth Busters!! Yeah, thats the ticket - Myth Busters!!

Tip of the Day - Keep the Battery Tender plugged in and rig up a headlight switch.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:45:11 pm by Jerry Griffin aka Rxman »
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #635 on: May 01, 2009, 09:54:28 am »
Thanks for trying to cheer me up. ;)

The headlight was an after-market purchase. Will give it another go today.

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #636 on: May 07, 2009, 11:50:37 pm »
Love it or hate it  8)   

Nice ride tonight ;D I have the rear sets adjusted just where I want them......had to steal a part from an old Ebay purchase to do it, but sweet that I had some extra extensions to work with.

Offline my78k

• I am Meat-O of the Hungry Horses MC
  • Old Timer
« Reply #637 on: May 08, 2009, 06:47:36 am »
I love the look!

Offline GoatBaSS

• Could someone find an
  • Expert
  • To weird to live, to rare to die.
« Reply #638 on: May 08, 2009, 03:18:02 pm »

Nice ride tonight ;D I have the rear sets adjusted just where I want them......had to steal a part from an old Ebay purchase to do it, but sweet that I had some extra extensions to work with.
[/quote]

Always a good argument for more parts and extra "parts bikes"!
Leethal # 3046?
1972 CB750K/900CC Red Headed Dunstall, 1975CB750FSS Gone BNF: 1974CB500T, 1976CB750K X 2

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #639 on: May 09, 2009, 07:43:49 pm »
Clicked a nice one today after ride.

Offline GoatBaSS

• Could someone find an
  • Expert
  • To weird to live, to rare to die.
« Reply #640 on: May 09, 2009, 07:46:51 pm »
There are not words enough to describe the beauty... :'(
Leethal # 3046?
1972 CB750K/900CC Red Headed Dunstall, 1975CB750FSS Gone BNF: 1974CB500T, 1976CB750K X 2

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #641 on: May 10, 2009, 08:58:38 pm »
Hadn't been out on the 78K for a month, so took it for a boot today. Ran great, smooth.........but

WoW! what a difference, it was like getting on the wifes 350 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #642 on: May 11, 2009, 02:42:06 am »
Looking good Derek, I presume you got your pipecleaners out of your tank? Interestingly, I coated the inside of a plastic funnel with POR15 and it's now peeling off in big strips so I'm guessing it's not great for sealing plastic of any sort, I hope it works better on fibreglass?

13.5 volts with a Dyna ignition and coils is actually pretty good, so I wouldn't be fussed looking for any more, it's about as good as you can hope for. The "battery tender" is a good thing, I've got one on my BMW with it's mega-expensive gel battery and one on my Suzuki GS1000, Ive got too many bikes and not enough time to ride them, anyway, be very careful using a battery tender for long periods of time, a traditional wet cell battery will continue to "gas" 24/7, and the excess gas will flow out of your overflow tube (make sure you have one fitted at all times unless you want holes to appear in your pipe, frame etc) and eventually you'll run your battery out of fluid, like I did on the Suzy.

It was no biggie, a nice group of men on holidays here from Iraq were nice enough to give me a push start, and the battery has responded well to being "re-acided", but it was still a little embarrassing at the time, just the same. Your browning of the left header is a tad concerning though, indicating a lean condition, I'd check that carb mate, doesn't sound right, and I'd hate for you to sieze that cylinder, take my word for it, being spat down the road and spending several hours laying on your belly having gravel scrubbed out of your raw arse isn't the best way to start off your riding season! Cheers, Terry. :D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #643 on: May 11, 2009, 10:33:04 am »
Looking good Derek, I presume you got your pipecleaners out of your tank? Interestingly, I coated the inside of a plastic funnel with POR15 and it's now peeling off in big strips so I'm guessing it's not great for sealing plastic of any sort, I hope it works better on fibreglass?

Yeah, drilled it out with no problems. I called the POR15 factory and spoke with someone there before I did it and he gave a 2 thumbs up on its usage for fiberglass tanks.  ;D

13.5 volts with a Dyna ignition and coils is actually pretty good, so I wouldn't be fussed looking for any more, it's about as good as you can hope for. The "battery tender" is a good thing, I've got one on my BMW with it's mega-expensive gel battery and one on my Suzuki GS1000, Ive got too many bikes and not enough time to ride them, anyway, be very careful using a battery tender for long periods of time, a traditional wet cell battery will continue to "gas" 24/7, and the excess gas will flow out of your overflow tube (make sure you have one fitted at all times unless you want holes to appear in your pipe, frame etc) and eventually you'll run your battery out of fluid, like I did on the Suzy. Cheers, Terry. :D

My best guess is the after market headlight, super bright ::)
I have a couple of tenders in the garage, I hooked up the quick release attachment, it hides just under the bodywork, nice and easy now to hook up. 15-25 Min's seems to top it off then I unplug it.

Your browning of the left header is a tad concerning though, indicating a lean condition, I'd check that carb mate, doesn't sound right, and I'd hate for you to sieze that cylinder, take my word for it, being spat down the road and spending several hours laying on your belly having gravel scrubbed out of your raw arse isn't the best way to start off your riding season! Cheers, Terry. :D

The left pipe color shift happened the day I was using my crappy home made gas drip. But I will have a look.

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #644 on: May 11, 2009, 03:00:37 pm »
I haven't checked this thread in quite a while.  It looks great, and congrats on a job well done!

Offline Spikeybike

• when planting C4 at your enemy's base make sure you don't use a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
« Reply #645 on: May 12, 2009, 01:11:20 pm »
 ...... speechless ...  totally speechless, Derek

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #646 on: May 12, 2009, 04:23:12 pm »
There are not words enough to describe the beauty... :'(

+1
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline void909

• Hot Shot
« Reply #647 on: May 19, 2009, 03:19:11 pm »
looks great. Nicely done!
knock with no answer

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #648 on: May 23, 2009, 04:44:49 pm »
Yeah.....I'm speechless as well >:( >:( >:( :P :P :P

Catch up here on this thread to see the latest of what I thought would be a quick ticking noise "valve adjustment" before heading to the track.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=51860.0  Then continue.

Got the call from him today.........FUC*************************************************************************************************************************************************!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrist pin, Will have to remove engine, split cases and replace 2 rods ::) Basically start over..........

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
Re: My chrome 836 Tracy Project! Part 2 starts on pg.44 Fricken Hell!
« Reply #649 on: May 23, 2009, 05:04:06 pm »
Wow that sucks....

What exactly happened?

What killed the rods?

What can we do to help?
Stranger in a strange land