Author Topic: Oil cooler at oil filter  (Read 666 times)

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
Oil cooler at oil filter
« on: July 13, 2019, 03:20:06 pm »
http://www.yamiya750.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=123&products_id=2291

Yamiya has the above oil cooler which mounts behind the oil filter of a 750. I wonder how much cooling it would actually do, there isn’t that much finning, maybe I’m wrong. The good part is there is no plumbing involved.
Anyone ever use one and maybe have some oil temperature feedback?
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
Re: Oil cooler at oil filter
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 04:37:21 pm »
Looks similar to the factory one that's on my 77 F2, As far as I know (and I could be wrong) they only came installed on 77 and 78 F's or "black" engines. I would imagine its ability to help cool the oil is minimal at best.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 04:17:46 am by Bailgang »
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 10:43:42 am »
This is a repro of the [ill-fated] oil cooler on the F2/3 bikes. It did not cool the oil measurably, as the airflow into the face of the non-vented cases isn't much. Most of them today have been removed because they typically weep oil between the cooler and the engine cases unless both of the large O-rings are the [properly] oversized (as in, extra-thick) O-rings that Honda offers directly in the 750K4 engine parts listings, and the oil bolt is tightened so tightly that it wears the threads. There were various aftermarket "fix kits" for this at one point: one of the more successful ones used a stud thru the oil cooler to mount it to the engine first, then you could change the oil filter normally by using the shorter (earlier) oil bolts, like the K0-K8 and F0/1 bikes used. The stud was Loctited into [cleaned] threads in the oil galley of the case and stayed there with the 'cooler' while you changed filters normally.

More often, this cooler plate was drilled and tapped for hoses, and the center hole blocked by making a special stud with oil ports from the filter and into the engine thru that stud, to use as an adapter plate for a real oil cooler (like the old Lockharts, Hookers, or Action Fours mini-radiator) that mounts up onto the horn mount. These often sat a slight bit crooked, though, because the horn mounts were not necessarily welded to the frame at 90 degree angles...
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 02:04:55 pm »
Never had any problems with the set up on my f3 and standard o-rings always worked fine...other than an increased hand full when changing the filter.  No idea if the cooler actually did any extra cooling.
If it works good, it looks good...