Author Topic: 627B Carbs rebuild  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: pod filters
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2019, 09:02:39 am »
Good morning all. I have put pod filters on my basically stock 627b carbs. 1973 cb500. Engine runs like crap.

Anybody have any comments on the pod filters? Or should I be more happy with the stock air cleaner system.

You just answered your own question. Put the air box on.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Honda3

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2019, 09:11:41 am »
Good morning all. I have put pod filters on my basically stock 627b carbs. 1973 cb500. Engine runs like crap.

Anybody have any comments on the pod filters? Or should I be more happy with the stock air cleaner system.

Nope. He "asked" a question. Two ways to go about this: fix the pods or put the box back on. The subtext of his question "should I be happy with the stock system" means he is undecided and looking for guidance.

Stock airbox will almost always be better than pods, and he has asking for confirmation.

Yep dude, put the box back on.

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2019, 09:34:13 am »
Yes, if you're undecided then put the stock intake system back on.
If you're committed to pods - already detabbed the frame for a chopper/bobber, or whatever - tuning pods for direct slide carbs is not impossible but it is a severe PITA. It is even more difficult for CV carbs.
I have K&N pods and have never had water problems, but knee position at high speed definitely affects performance. Other brands may choke up when wet? The carb tuning was not easy but now the bike runs very nicely.
So if you really like pods be prepared for many (many!) plug chops and carb stack re/re jobs. If you happen to have a dyno with EGA it might be easier but who has one of those? Paying for dyno time to go through the process will not be cheap. If you live in a large city, finding traffic (and speed trap) free roads to do plug chops on can be a problem.

Offline 1976cb750f836

• Hot Shot
  • 76 cb750f, 836, 78 wheels
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2019, 09:41:17 am »
I like pods, have them on all my classics, their washable, and make carb removal a snap.
Needle needs richening also, and possibly a larger main. It's a lot of trial and error, but to me it's worth it! Leave main ( the one you have now),alone at first, raise needle (lower the clip)at least 1 or 2 clips, a needle shim, or 2 if not adjustable needle. If it idles the pilot is ok, if it hesitates right off idle, sometimes a larger pilot is needed, but the needle usually takes care of this.

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2019, 09:49:34 am »

Nope. He "asked" a question. Two ways to go about this: fix the pods or put the box back on. The subtext of his question "should I be happy with the stock system" means he is undecided and looking for guidance.

And I gave him guidance to put the stock air box back.on.

Should I have posted a completely unrelated pic of my bike to make it clear as mud?
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2019, 09:56:41 am »
 Merged with your earlier thread. See especially post #19.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,178519.msg2071931.html#msg2071931
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline scott jones

• Enthusiast
Re: 627B Carbs rebuild
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2019, 11:12:06 am »
Sweet

Offline scott jones

• Enthusiast
Re: 627B Carbs rebuild
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2019, 02:02:32 pm »
Thanks guys. I'm going to put the stock air box on & see what that does. I really appreciate all of your responses. I really love this bike & I just want it to run right. I'm not going to give up on it. It's a shame that the air box can't be installed without removing the carbs.