Author Topic: XDA race at MIR this weekend.  (Read 4000 times)

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
XDA race at MIR this weekend.
« on: July 23, 2019, 09:24:53 pm »
Well, well be back in the mix of things this weekend at the XDA race in Budds Creek Maryland. I've got to do a little maintenance to the F model to get it ready for two separate days of street ET racing. I've not been doing as well in this series as I'd like thus far so I need to concentrate on making rounds both days. Unfortunately I dropped from 10th, to 14th place in top sportsman. Lost a lot of ground in street ET to find myself in the 35th spot and I'm in the sunken place at 46th in the 5.60 index class but I didn't compete in the first race. I'm in the tank for the Crazy 8's class at #69. I only entered that class once out of 3 races so far.Oh well, its been a lot of fun nevertheless.

We did race this past weekend in Rockingham Dragway with the Kings of Grudge series. The wife entered ET bracket but red lighted first round. I was in the 5.60 index class on my Kaw and made it to the final 4 bikes out of 26. I lost in the semis because the bike seemed to fall off the pace to a 5.68ET on the 5.60 index. I had a better reaction time (.010) than my opponents .024 light but he WA closer to the index with a 5.63 and got to the stripe first. I'm not going to complain because my lights were good all day and ranged from a .021 to .006 on the pro tree. Hopefully I can cut decent lights like that this weekend and make some much needed rounds.

If anyone from the forum is in the Budds Creek Maryland area, please stop by and see us this weekend. Always good to have a little moral support. I'll try to give a race update throughout the weekend if I have time. I'll be entering multiple classes to include; top sportsman, street ET, 5.60 index and maybe Crazy 8's. Yeap, I like to punish myself!😆

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: XDA race at MIR this weekend.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 04:13:32 am »
Good luck frank and ya'll be careful

Sent from my LG-US601 using Tapatalk

mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Online RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 10:28:20 am »
Good luck Frank and Mrs Frank!
Be safe.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 12:34:54 pm »
Kick ass til both shoes are #$%*ty Frank!
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 07:26:26 pm »
Will do my best. The wife won't be racing this weekend. She likes to use the delay box but XDA rules prohibit boxes. She'll be pit crew again.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 12:03:53 am »
One bike finished and ready for loading,oil change and plug replacement for the Honda and then a quick check over and oil change for the top sportsman Kaw.. Should be done by tomorrow night. Need to hit the road early Friday morning if I expect to get a decent pit area.

Online RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 06:48:43 am »
Gee Frank!  That seat looks pretty...uh...intimate? ;)
Best in getting the rest of bikes ready...
David

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 09:24:42 am »
Frank : That old RED HORSE keeps putting you in the game on the 660 - 1320'. My dayz of racing after 30 years with many a fond days of being on the road to drag races to meet and race with my friends might be on the wane.  At age 77 I can be a mentor and pit crew for the folks that have this LOVE of 1/4 mile MOTORCYCLE DRAG RACING. Took my pit crew chief to a flat track race here in Ohio that I went to every years  (25 years ago ) but then drag racing was my life for the next 30 years [ I'm taking her to a HILL CLIMB here in Ohio called the DEVILS STAIR CASE that will be it's 70 year running ] I got a memento from the 50 year climb that they hand out to all the folks at the meet = Put on by the DAYTON MOTORCYCLE CLUB.
GOOD OLD DAYZ WITH MANY GREAT FOLKS.     POPS BK 911

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 09:12:21 am »
Waiting for the second time run. First pass I had an .021 reaction time and ran 10:57 at 121mph. Its hot so I don't expect to go any quicker. The goal for the weekend is to win one round at a time and have fun but safety is first!!

Online RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 12:26:08 pm »
Frank, gorgeous shot of your bike. Glad things are going well and you are having fun!
 Best of luck with the coming rounds!
David

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 12:49:15 pm »
Keep at it frank

mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 11:29:53 pm »
Went out first round in street ET on Saturday due to a redlight but here's a quick race update for Sunday. I want to thank my wife for hanging in there with me this past weekend at the XDA race in Maryland. It was a hot one to say the least. We did arrive on friday to check into a hotel, travel to the track to get set up, register and have all bikes teched in prior to race day on saturday. A fellow racer was nice enough to have saved us a decent pit spot.

I entered 3 classes- street ET on my old Honda CB750, pro ET/top sportsman on my purple car tire Kaw aka "Barney" and 5.60 index (1/8th mile class) on the small tire bike we affectionately call "Harry". There was 170 bikes entered into pro ET vying for a chance to qualify for the top sportsman (T/S) class which consists of the quickest 32 bikes. While prepping to go to the line, my lovely cousin Alicia Loney came to hang out with us for the day. After 2 rounds of time runs on saturday, I was able to qualify in the 14th spot out of those 170 bikes to make the T/S field with an 8.08 ET. T/S runs its eliminations on sunday so i parked the bike in preparation for sundays race. In street ET i dialed the bike in at a 10.57 ET but redlighted in first round. Due to the heat, i didn't buy back into the race. In the 5.60 index class first qualifying run, the bike would not shift. At the end of the track, i remembered i had taken an air line a loose while doing maintenance and had not hooked it back up to the shift cylinder. Wooo, at least its a simple fix and i had one more shot at qualifying the bike. Next qualifying session the bike ran a 5.57- a tad under the index but i could live with that number. Always better to be too quick than to slow. With the high bike count and several oil downs, it was late when we finished up, got packed up and back at the hotel.

We arrived at the track sunday morning and got all the bikes out for the start of pro ET eliminations. I use this round to dial in the top sportsman bike. I dialed an 8.08 against a slightly slower opponent and won the round. Next up was street ET on the Honda. I dialed a 10.60 to my opponent quicker 8.90. Because i've been redlighted so much on this bike, i concentrated on going green. Unfortunately i hesitated to much and had an awful reaction time, i also drug the clutch out to long which hurt my ET. My opponent caught me before the mph cone and crossed the line first, turning on his win light. I elected not to buy back so i could focus on making rounds with the other 2 bikes. Plus the heat was brutal. We were once again graced by the presence of family at this event. My cousins Altha and Damon Loney came to support the Loney Motorsports team. They may not know it, but having family show up to cheer us on was the highlight of the event for me . Next up was the first round of top sportsman. My opponent was Robin Procoppio. She is one tough racer and i've been paired with her 2 times this season- each ended in a victory for her. Needless to say, i had a mission to overcome this deficit because she was standing in between me, and round #2. I dialed an 8.08 to her 8.06- virtually a heads up race. I knew whoever had the best reaction time should be the winner of the race. I kept my cool and zeroed in one the christmas tree to be sure i cut a good light. When the tree dropped green, i knew it was a race to the stripe. I began looking over my shoulder about 3/4 track and she was at least 2 bikes behind. By the mph cone the gap was still the same so i lightly rolled off the throttle and got the win. Moving on the round 2. They were calling the 5.60 index class to the staging lanes when we got back to the trailer. We rolled up to the lanes for pairing from card draw. As luck would have it, i got paired with my team mate, RJ. Dang it. RJ is 17 years old and is as sharp as they come so i knew it would  be a battle. Mind you, there were 52 bikes in the class and I paired with my team mate. Fortunately for me, when the pro tree lite up, i was out first and looking back at him all the way down the track. I had just enough to roll out of the throttle to take the win. I ran dead on the index with a 5.60, RJ ran a 5.64. Great race.

the day moved forward, i ended up still in the 5.60 index class with 6 bikes left  out of 52. I was also still in the sportsman class, now down to 4 bikes left out of 32. Moving to the semis in top sportsman, i dialed up to an 8.09 against my opponents 7.83. The tree came down and i felt i was a little late, down track it became apparent that i was right when my opponent closed the gap before the mph cone and was in front to take the win. The bike only ran a 8.16 at 150mph on the 8.09 dial in- something is going wrong with the bike so it'll come apart this week for a complete rebuild before the next race at the end of August. We had to hurry back to the pit area to get the small tire bike for the 5.60 index eliminations. I was now laddered with the same young fella that took me out in the 5.60 class the weekend before at the Rockingham race. Well, i just needed to concentrate and try to cut a better light in hopes of winning this round to move into the semis. The tree dropped and i lead the race most of the track. He then closed the gap as we were nearing the win stripe but i decided not to lift. I broke out with a 5.59 and lost the round ending our race weekend. While i didn't win either class, i collected some much needed points and two small checks for my effort. At the end of a long, hot and crowded race event, Nothing was broken and i didn't get hurt- it was a good weekend of racing. Next event is in a few weekends at Piedmont Dragway where we plan to compete in the 5.60 index and ET bracket classes for the KOG race.

Online RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 11:47:58 pm »
Frank, congrats on the successful weekend with no injuries and no broken parts. Glad you did well and enjoyed the track time.  We w I'll want some of this heat when February's cold weather is dogging us, undoubtedly.

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 05:44:48 am »
Way to go frank

mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2019, 08:53:01 am »
Thanks fellas. The aftermath of the days  heat started take a toll on me at the end. I hate to get down to the smaller pairing of bikes and not end up with a win. They posted the points last night and it moved me up some but not enough to get back into the top ten in top sportsman. I've got to keep this momentum going for the final two races to make up ground. Unfortunately I need to tear the engine down on the top sportsman bike and am nit certain it will be back together in time for the August race in Virginia. It has a roller bearing crank and its past time for a replacement. I've got to send a core off this week and keep my fingers crossed it will be finished in time to reassemble everything. The head will be redone locally and I'll install a new cam chain and rings.

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 08:54:38 am »
Good luck frank

mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 10:21:36 pm »
Decided to pull the engine off the top sportsman bike tonight. The time slip definitely indicates that the bike fell off from the previous passes. I lost 7 thousandths' and 3 mph in the loosing round. I'll get a fresh start tomorrow evening on the disassembly process and should figure out better the internal conditions by the time I quit. I need to concentrate on doing a quick turnaround to be ready for the next race on August 26-29. The Honda really needs attention so it'll be next in line for a rebuild.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 10:23:51 pm »
Shop dog says he's tired and ready to close up so he can get some rest. Lol

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 10:37:56 pm »
The time slip definitely indicates that the bike fell off from the previous passes. I lost 7 thousandths' and 3 mph in the loosing round.
What were the differences in weather conditions between the previous passes and the last one? This is where DA can be useful; that 7 thou might be due to high temps, low barometric pressure, and high humidity. :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2019, 04:05:48 am »
Shop dog says he's tired and ready to close up so he can get some rest. Lol
Cool dog

mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2019, 10:06:05 am »
I wish I could blame any number of those factors you mentioned. Others were actually speeding up as the day got cooler so that was not an issue.

The simple truth is the bike has been slowing down for a while now. I lost track of the number of passes, but I know it exceeds my normal maintenance cycle. I think I've just gotten complacent recently in not doing my regular maintenance on my bikes. Maybe it's that all have been running well, maybe its because I've gotten older and lazy. My motto has always been : if you take care of your equipment, your equipment will take care of you. I've failed to follow my own mantra. In this case, I want to take it apart now before it takes itself apart.

The time slip definitely indicates that the bike fell off from the previous passes. I lost 7 thousandths' and 3 mph in the loosing round.
What were the differences in weather conditions between the previous passes and the last one? This is where DA can be useful; that 7 thou might be due to high temps, low barometric pressure, and high humidity. :)

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 08:09:44 am »
I only found one picture of the Honda taken during the race last weekend. I guess that's what happens when you don't make rounds in street ET. Hopefully, I can turn the corner with this bike at the Virginia event.

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 04:32:05 pm »
Lookin good frank

mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2019, 02:52:26 pm »
Good on you for all the effort............and expense ;)

That pic is worth more than a thousand words 8) 8) 8) 8)
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2019, 05:46:50 pm »
Those  two little checks covered my race entry fees but didn't touch my total expenses. But then it never does if it's just a hobby without sponsorship. It's the fun factor and thrill of competition that makes up the difference.

Good on you for all the effort............and expense ;)

That pic is worth more than a thousand words 8) 8) 8) 8)