Author Topic: Top cam cover removal.  (Read 3441 times)

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: Top cam cover removal.
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2019, 11:32:00 pm »
I would like to take this time , to thank all the members who supported my efforts and now Scottly , and bought the kits.
1+ I'd like to add that unlike some other suppliers of kits, Frank and I made ours with our own two hands and machines, rather than farm them out to a machine shop and mark up the price over the cost to have them made.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline disco

• Hot Shot
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2019, 01:56:54 am »
Just to make it clear....I’m very happy to support members of this great forum.

I’m extremely satisfied with the frame kit products I’ve purchased from both Gordon & Frank/Scottly.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 02:05:24 am by disco »
1976 CB750 K6 Sapphire Blue
1972 CB750 K2 836 Orange Sunrise
1972 CB750 K2 Candy Red
1972 CB750 K2 Candy Gold'

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2019, 02:54:47 am »
I would like to take this time , to thank all the members who supported my efforts and now Scottly , and bought the kits.
1+ I'd like to add that unlike some other suppliers of kits, Frank and I made ours with our own two hands and machines, rather than farm them out to a machine shop and mark up the price over the cost to have them made.

I don't really think that's much of an issue Scott, I know who you're talking about, but unlike you and Frank he doesn't have access to the machinery required, all he had was a good idea. I think he's entitled to make a few bucks out of his idea, just as you and Frank are. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2019, 03:24:15 am »

I don't really think that's much of an issue Scott, I know who you're talking about, but unlike you and Frank he doesn't have access to the machinery required, all he had was a good idea. I think he's entitled to make a few bucks out of his idea, just as you and Frank are. ;D

Which frame kit is "better" I guess is personal preference, I'm just thankful that we have members here that are clever enough to come up with these ideas then make them available to the rest of us. I have Frank's kit on my F2 and love it but I applaud Gordon for his idea on it because it gives me a choice and to me, choices are good. We have a lot of talented people on this site.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline maxheadflow

• Hot Shot
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2019, 05:37:01 am »
On the aluminum clamps  you only turn the bolts about a turn each, then slide the Aluminum clamp toward the brace on the removeable section, no bolts or washers to drop, then pull the 2 top straps and it all lifts out.

Understood,  I would figure 2 turns but still it's loosen 16 screws and remove 4 bolts and nuts.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2019, 02:20:15 pm »
+1 to Franks frame kit.

This K3 came to me with a cut frame and pipes installed as a "frame kit"...

Snipped pic

Frame kit installed...

Snipped pic

Never know it's there unless you pull the tank.  Ride is solid as can be...

Well, I don't have any issue with the setup you show for strength.  It's a lot more complicated than weld in pieces to RnR the part.  I'd figure to do the section by with only 6 screws, (SHCS).  Make them all the same size screws so they come out quickly.

BTW, with those wheels, your not pushing that chassis all that hard.   Does look like you got after market rear shocks tho.

Is true, the bike does not get pushed very hard or get much road time, it shares riding time with 7 other bikes in the garage [and a Corvette].

Good eye, the rear shocks are Ikon, sourced from Nils at RestoCycle in Tucson.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline maxheadflow

• Hot Shot
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2019, 02:34:22 pm »

Is true, the bike does not get pushed very hard or get much road time, it shares riding time with 7 other bikes in the garage [and a Corvette].

Way cool.  What do you think of the Ikons?  I'm an old Koni lover. Used to put Koni's on CZs and Maicos before gas shocks got real popular. Was planning on getting a set of Ikons for my CB750.  Also plan on emulators in the front.

Motorcycles, you can't have just one. :D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2019, 02:39:57 pm »

Way cool.  What do you think of the Ikons?  I'm an old Koni lover. Used to put Koni's on CZs and Maicos before gas shocks got real popular. Was planning on getting a set of Ikons for my CB750.  Also plan on emulators in the front.

Motorcycles, you can't have just one. :D

The Ikons are fantastic, I'm sure you know the company has evolved from Koni which I always liked as well.

Contact Nils for a price, he's a great guy...

https://www.restocycle.com/ikon-suspension-products

Imagangine how boring to only have 1 bike?  I like the decision of what bike to ride today?!

Think it will be my 550F today!!

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2019, 04:17:24 pm »
Nothing boring about just one bike, but more than one is even less more boring lol
If it works good, it looks good...

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2019, 06:01:17 pm »

The Ikons are fantastic, I'm sure you know the company has evolved from Koni which I always liked as well.

Contact Nils for a price, he's a great guy...

https://www.restocycle.com/ikon-suspension-products

Imagangine how boring to only have 1 bike?  I like the decision of what bike to ride today?!

Think it will be my 550F today!!

Ikons are made here in Oz, when Koni announced that they were not going to manufacture motorcycle shocks any more, the Australian distributor bought the rights to manufacture them under the "Ikon" (a play on the old "Koni" name) brand. If you like your old 7610 series Koni's, you'll be buying the same quality with Ikons, and Ikon also supply rebuild kits for their shocks, like Koni did.

I've got new Ikon alloy body gas shocks on my Harley Sportster, they're another level again, and not an old Koni design. More expensive, but better feel too. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline maxheadflow

• Hot Shot
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2019, 07:43:18 pm »
The first time I saw an advertisement for Ikons the mentioned that they were based on Koni. I know Konis well. Shop I worked at sold, Honda, CZ and Maico. We did a bit of custom work at the time. Extending travel on the dirt bikes.  In some cases we laid the shocks down or moved the shock forward on the swingarm.  Back then we were shooting for 7-8 inches of travel. We used pretty much all Koni. We rebuilt the shocks and tuned the compression damping valve. Gas shocks took over shortly after. Yamaha got their Monoshock.

I meet the Ikon guys about 4-6 years ago at an expo. They confirmed they were the old design.  I was thinking about using a set on another bike but you had to order from Oz and with shipping there were other good shocks I could get faster and for a similar or slightly higher price. If I had issues, the guys were local (sort of).  I like the the koni cuz it are pretty easy to rebuild. Also the technology matches the age of the bike.

It's good to know they are more set up in the US and hopefully the distributor is stocking.

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2019, 10:12:55 pm »
About Ikons... My both bikes have them and I like them
My K6 has the version with progressive spring which I prefer. Comfortable and good behaviour. My K2 has non progressive ( more CB750 stock look) and I have damper setting too soft to match the comfortable progressive version.
Both chrome version with caps to look like stock.
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967