Author Topic: Clutch adjuster bearing plate not hitting?  (Read 356 times)

Offline Lupo_00

Clutch adjuster bearing plate not hitting?
« on: August 18, 2019, 05:49:55 pm »
Hey guys,

Ive got a ‘73 CB750K barn find I’ve been restoring. No chain on the bike right now, but everything else is together. I didn’t think the clutch was disengaging so I adjusted based on the clymer manual. Slack off on the cable (I disconnected it from the lever at the plate), loosened the lock nut, tightened the adjuster stud until I felt pressure, backed off a 1/4 turn. For some reason now I can spin the adjuster 360 (entire housing including the piece the arm / lever locks to) as if the bearing assembly on the backside isn’t hitting anything and is coming apart enough to allow the spin. I can’t tighten the adjuster stud without the entire thing spinning. What have I done.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Clutch adjuster bearing plate not hitting?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 09:22:50 pm »
 There is a big steel washer on the backside of cover,  it has 3 ramps carved into i. and a piece with 3 caged balls., that fits to the adjuster, when you pull the cable, thes balls  slide  away from the ramped washer, disengaging clutch.
 Do you have all that ?
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 10:08:05 pm »
There are "flats" on the shaft the adjuster screw goes through, that match up with "flats" on the back side of the lever. If you loosen the lock-nut too far, the flats can disengage, and it don't work right. Make sure the flats are engaged, locking the lever to the shaft. Also, there is only one position that will properly locate the lever on the shaft.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Lupo_00

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 05:49:54 am »
There is a big steel washer on the backside of cover,  it has 3 ramps carved into i. and a piece with 3 caged balls., that fits to the adjuster, when you pull the cable, thes balls  slide  away from the ramped washer, disengaging clutch.
 Do you have all that ?

Yeah that’s the bearing assembly I’m referencing (apologies if it’s not clear). I had the cover off to look inside there, then put the cover back on just tight (no torque). With that I am able to push the adjuster and shaft in enough for it to spin 360. If I pull back out on it, it will seat, however if I try to then screw in the adjuster it will just spin. So basically, it is no longer pushing against anything inside. It was at least touching before I did anything.