Author Topic: PD42s  (Read 468 times)

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
PD42s
« on: August 17, 2019, 05:14:28 am »
Please, educate me on PD42s.

What's the difference between  A and B?  Are they interchangeable?  Different jets only?  Bit lost here.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Re: PD42s
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 06:02:36 am »
PD's are a nightmare, thats all i know
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline Erny

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 11:25:01 am »
A has adjustable needles (still has grooves) while B not (shimming seems to be the only option). Shop manual shall show jet differences if any
CB750K K7 USA model (1977)
CB550K1 USA model (1975)

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 02:46:21 am »
Thank you.   This table:

http://www.hondachopper.com/garage/carb_specs/carb_specs.html

shows the difference in jetting.

From what I could find, there is also difference in venting.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 11:16:17 am »
The "B" is the emission-controlled version of the "A", which was the emission-controlled version of the earlier carbs.
You can use "A" parts in the "B" version: in fact, if you jet the "B" the same as the "A", and give the "B" a little longer vent-bowl hose to a quieter area (like under the seat), it will work the same as the "A". If you have "B" carbs and suffer from chronic cold-bloodedness, increasing the [press-in] pilot jet from the normal #35 size to the #37.5/#38 /#40 of the "A" will solve it. The air screw setting on the "B" carb is miserly, between 1.5 and 1.75 turns: past 2.0 turns it makes no further difference (richer) because the air port is very small. At 1.75 turns the A/F mixture is about the same as the "A" carb with #38 pilot jet and 1.5 turns, a bit lean.

In both versions: the #1 trouble I find is with the tiny O-rings in the pilot port (air screw seat) having been installed backward by someone (after Keihin). The O-ring goes in first, then the washer. If backward, it will struggle to idle at all.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 11:38:48 am »
The "B" is the emission-controlled version of the "A", which was the emission-controlled version of the earlier carbs.
You can use "A" parts in the "B" version: in fact, if you jet the "B" the same as the "A", and give the "B" a little longer vent-bowl hose to a quieter area (like under the seat), it will work the same as the "A". If you have "B" carbs and suffer from chronic cold-bloodedness, increasing the [press-in] pilot jet from the normal #35 size to the #37.5/#38 /#40 of the "A" will solve it. The air screw setting on the "B" carb is miserly, between 1.5 and 1.75 turns: past 2.0 turns it makes no further difference (richer) because the air port is very small. At 1.75 turns the A/F mixture is about the same as the "A" carb with #38 pilot jet and 1.5 turns, a bit lean.

In both versions: the #1 trouble I find is with the tiny O-rings in the pilot port (air screw seat) having been installed backward by someone (after Keihin). The O-ring goes in first, then the washer. If backward, it will struggle to idle at all.

Thank you, Mark.