Author Topic: SOHC CB750 top speed.  (Read 7317 times)

Offline johno

• Expert
Re: SOHC CB750 top speed.
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2019, 03:56:09 pm »
Well I have to admit to being on the unfashionable side.
After a lifetime of respecting whatever track decibels were allowed at race tracks I still complain that quiet racing has contributed to the decline of some motorsports i.e. speedway etc.
I love a classy loud sound, what I really love ? NO mufflers ! a manx norton backing of from full throttle, honda 6 cal gp bike screaming its arse off, I had the MV Augusta with Ago on pass me in the Aust TT and the noise was loud , sweet, beautiful music and made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. That sort of loud noise make the best moments in my life.
OH YEH what really bugs me we build race tracks way out in the country side to get away from poor sensitive city folks then someone builds a house next to the track and complains about the noise , that really pisses me , who with a brain would build a house next to a race track  >:( :'(
GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2019, 09:28:26 pm »
Coincidentally, I was recently re-reading the June 1970 edition of Hot Rod magazine, which included coverage of Daytona. 8)
The fastest qualifier was Gene Romero on a Triumph triple @ 157.342 mph, followed by Mike Hailwood's BSA triple @ 152.905 and Gary Nixon's Triumph @ 152.827. Dick Mann's Honda was forth, @ 152.671.

Thanks Scott, I'm not 100% sure but were these not just average speeds around the banked track in qualifying.
I think the infield part of the track was only used during the race itself, but like I said, I'm not 100% sure.
All three of the three British riders who were all good friends of mine told me they were all hitting over 160 with Ralph Bryans close to 170 on the straightaway.

Sam. ;)
Sam, there was a rather eloquent passage in the article:
"Few thrills in racing can stand up against the thundering roar-by of the bikes at Daytona as they hammer by the grandstand on that hunched-up, flying first lap, handlebar to handlebar, tire to tire, at 165 mph." Bob Greene.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 11:04:46 pm by scottly »
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline H2Eric

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2019, 03:24:42 am »
Well that's opened up a can of worms about noise. Unfortunately the noise abatement freaks have had influence over the law makers and as a result got the result they wanted. Mallory Park here in the UK was closed for several years and many other tracks have had restrictions imposed because the property developers are building houses close by. Fears are that Santa Pod Raceway is doomed because some builders who see only profit want to build a housing estate next door. It makes you wonder who would buy a house next to or close to a race track, but people do and then complain about noise. It beggars belief.
Personally, I can gag my bike down to comply with current restrictions, or at least I think I can with a spare set of exhausts suitably modified and it may even improve the HP figures as some suggest, but the sound that race goers love will be gone. However, a nitro burning top fuel car / bike is another matter all together. With most things there is usually a compromise solution, but I fear the anti-noise brigade don't see it that way.
Enjoy the sound of vintage Grand Prix motorcycles and replicas thereof while you can.

Eric

PS
I rarely start my bike at home, but when I do I have some very understanding neighbours.

PPS
Can't wait for Russ Collins bikes to fire up. I should be able to hear them from here, but if I can't I shall complain!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 03:26:25 am by H2Eric »
Honda CR750
Honda CB750K3
Kawasaki 750H2B
Suzuki GS750
Honda CB175
Honda CB350F
Yamaha R1

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,94588.0.html

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2019, 07:43:05 am »
Hopefully you'll hear those three Eric!  ;D

Beggars Belief, good description. Even here in farm country, folks from the city move out because they love it so. Then the minute they arrive they want to change everything.  >:(  Municipal councils usually knuckle under and farmers are pressed to understand. 

Power to farmers and race aficionados!!  ;D  8)

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 02:59:23 pm »
Wisconsin has a Right to Farm law.............and Road America keeps buying adjoining land to keep the noise on the OK side.
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2019, 03:29:43 am »
anyone that buys a house near a race track then complains about noise is an idiot and should be told so but unsilenced bikes at a race meeting are a pain .
you can hear a sigh of relief round the paddock when they stop reving the tits of some poor bike , usually a replica that was built for exactly that purpose .

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2019, 03:58:47 am »
Like with music, I suppose everyone has there own thoughts on what sounds are more of less pleasant.  Personally, it’s the type of noise as much as the intensity for me.

For example, the tone of a typical multi cylinder 4 stroke in good tune(regardless of exhaust type) always seems to be less objectionable than an un or undermuffled 2 stroke at the same high volume at the track.

The pressure on tracks regarding noise is INEVITABLE.  Human nature can be an ugly thing, but we are generally consistent and predictable.  Fair and logic is rarely the driving force and we have unending examples of this throughout history.

Survival of the mechanically “oppressed” will nearly always require compromise.  Let’s keep in mind that there are millions of REALLY oppressed people in the world.

Ours is what a good friend calls a “first world problem”

George

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2019, 11:15:34 am »
Wonder why Englishtown Raceway shut down ? Ask Eddie # 1 NHRA HARLEY RACER = the owner spent thousand of dollars a year fighting the move in and around his neighbors [ as PIZZA JOHN P/S #1 told me years ago about the owner of that FINE TRACKS many court battles.]

POPS BK911 NHRA

Offline Old Scrambler

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2019, 09:53:51 am »
Regarding top speed...........as I examine the VP-Fuels chart of available choices, I see several are approved for AMA racing. Makes me think of asking what type of gas or Fuel was used at the 1970 Daytona 200?  A gave some consideration to the 'downhill' effect of leaving the highly-banked areas of the track which may add to the speed clocked in the straights ;) I don't have any hills to consider :D :D
Dennis in Wisconsin
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'77 750F2 Cafe Project

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2019, 10:14:26 am »
How are you planning on doing this? Use their gas first then your gas assuming you're running 4 classes again?
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2019, 11:29:20 am »
in the 70`s and 80`s we used elf bluegas , 119 octane tones of lead and god knows what else . they recommended you wore breathing apparatus when refuelling .
engines went well on it though .

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2019, 05:07:55 am »
Speaking of fuel, The DLRA is abiding by new Australian government regulations to ban any leaded race fuels end of year.
Makes me feel old, I guess there are plenty of alternatives although a quick look at whats available for extreme high compression makes things challenging, most suitable unleaded race petrols don't comply to our restrictive GAS classes and slot the user into FUEL classes. The other issues are it differentiates between existing record holders and future record holders,  it also puts Aust out of step with the the US rules and makes comparing difficult from now on.
But hey the world is changing quickly these days... :-\

GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2019, 06:27:25 am »
Yes, Jerry........gas 1st........then try the fuel ;)

We tune on 101 octane and run 101 oxygenated without changing jets...........VP C-12 is higher octane but should run with the same jetting......Mikuni 122.5s are in............We shall see...........The VP is non-oxygenated so is more dense.....maybe 120s?
Dennis in Wisconsin
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'77 750F2 Cafe Project

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2019, 07:59:16 am »
My 1977's 750 BMW and a 81's Moto Guzzi Le Monza 1000cc they both ran fine with that factory high compression engines with a 1/2 pint of toluene pored in to a full tank  [ big tanks on those two bikes ] of leaded gas in those days when leaded fuels were being fazed out in USA. Later I ran 110 low lead AV gas [ no more low lead 110 AV GAS]

POPS BK911

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2019, 09:12:39 am »
Speaking of fuel, The DLRA is abiding by new Australian government regulations to ban any leaded race fuels end of year.
Makes me feel old, I guess there are plenty of alternatives although a quick look at whats available for extreme high compression makes things challenging, most suitable unleaded race petrols don't comply to our restrictive GAS classes and slot the user into FUEL classes. The other issues are it differentiates between existing record holders and future record holders,  it also puts Aust out of step with the the US rules and makes comparing difficult from now on.
But hey the world is changing quickly these days... :-\

Johno,

Hello again. Are you scratching that new itch?  ;) ;D
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline NickO

• Enthusiast
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2019, 01:33:48 pm »
anyone that buys a house near a race track then complains about noise is an idiot and should be told so but unsilenced bikes at a race meeting are a pain .
you can hear a sigh of relief round the paddock when they stop reving the tits of some poor bike , usually a replica that was built for exactly that purpose .

Exactly Simon.
Someone had a Featherbed framed König at Mallory Park "Festival" a few years ago. It was unsilenced and unbearable to be within 50 yards of the back-end, (it actually hurt your ears). Probably noisier than the Honda Six?

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2019, 01:42:08 pm »
NickO, this is EXACTLY the cause of my tinitis, those open stinger expansion chambers. When I read your post it just worsened.

It was self inflicted mind you!

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2019, 09:02:19 pm »
NickO, this is EXACTLY the cause of my tinitis, those open stinger expansion chambers. When I read your post it just worsened.

It was self inflicted mind you!

Looks like we have somthing else in common Brent.
Maybe they should change the name from tinnitus to "old racer's syndrome"  ;D

I had my hearing checked last year and apparently I'm totally deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other. ;D
One thing I did notice though, the older ie deafer I got the more loud bikes annoyed me.

Cheers,
Brian
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 09:05:42 pm by bear »
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline NickO

• Enthusiast
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2019, 09:10:54 pm »
Unfortunately my constant tinnitus (and almost total deafness in one ear) was not caused by anything as exciting as racing motorbikes, but childhood mumps.

Anyone who willfully prevents their children having the MMR (measles, mumps & rubella) vaccine in the UK (which wasn't around when I was a kid), needs shooting. It's caused me no-end of problems (the deafness) as I've had symptoms since I was 16.

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2019, 10:00:53 pm »
This tread got me thinking about our top speeds. It wasn't relevant to what we where doing so I didn't take a lot of notice at the time.
A few of our major track's down here had speed traps, usually set up at the start finish line I think.
So I pulled out some old lap timing sheets.
We where 3rd fastest at Phillip Island in 2010 at 201kmph or 124mph. The fastest bike through the trap that day was an 836cc Honda :o
The fastest trap speed I could find was 215kmph  or 134mph at Symmons Plains Tasmania in 2011.

Just some useless irrelevant info for you Uncle Sammy. ;D

Cheers,
Brian
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 07:30:29 pm by bear »
The older I get the faster I was.