Author Topic: Throttle stick '74 CB750  (Read 495 times)

Offline jembers

Throttle stick '74 CB750
« on: August 24, 2019, 06:31:43 am »
When the bike is off the throttle moves smoothly, no problems at all. When I'm riding however, the throttle sticks in between 1 and 2 almost all of the time and quite often between 2 and 3. I haven't noticed much stickiness between the other gears. I'll crank it and when I let go, it's right near neutral crank that it sticks. Between 1 and 2 it it's starting to stick pretty hard and needs a bit of a crank to get it back and between 2 and 3 it's less stick and needs less crank to get it back.

I've thrown a bit of lube down the cable but it hasn't seemed to really help out. I'm not very mechanically inclined so I'm curious what it could be and if it's something I could possible take on myself or should I take it to a shop? Not really wanting to pour hundreds into it to fix stickiness if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.

Offline jgger

• Master
Re: Throttle stick '74 CB750
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 08:07:16 am »
What ever gear the transmission is in has no bearing to the throttle operation. If your problem is that the rpm's dont return,  that could be caused by an intake air leak. But the description of your issue is not very clear.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 08:23:29 am »
  If the rpm's are not easily dropping down it could be the throttle cable is old/dry,return cable not adjusted correctly,air leaks at manifolds,dirty sticky throttle slides,cable routed badly,rubber grommets on carb top binding,all sorts of fun stuff  :)

Offline maxheadflow

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 12:28:04 pm »
If you that it sticks as you try to open the throttle when shifting, it's pretty much the nature of the beast.  Slide carbs are hard to crack open when manifold vacuum is high. My 78 cb750 does it real bad to the point where I'll probably go looking for a larger diameter grip.

If it's some other issue make and model will help.