Author Topic: Erratic Voltage  (Read 528 times)

Offline spectre

Erratic Voltage
« on: July 30, 2021, 08:38:32 pm »
Bike with ignition on has consistent volts.

Bike when started has consistent voltage but after a minute voltage quickly goes up & down and sometimes by 2-3 volts.

Is that stator or rectifier typically? What keeps volts consistent?

Offline beemerbum

• Expert
Re: Erratic Voltage
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 08:53:14 pm »
That would be the voltage regulator I believe.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 09:14:43 pm »
Are you using the stock mechanical regulator? If so, the reg switches modes from full charge current to half current to off, which can cause spikes in the voltage when read with a digital meter, especially when using a lithium battery. 
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline spectre

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 09:23:48 pm »
Ricks for lithium battery.
Odd part is it initially was working as it should. 30+ runs.

What I don’t know is why after a minute of bike running it starts to go extremely erratic.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 09:33:13 pm »
Check all battery  and regulator connections.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline newday777

• Old Timer
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 02:29:35 am »
spectre
Welcome aboard the forum.
You have started 3 different topics, I read through all to try to get full information as you have not given full information about what your bike is at the beginning. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to figure out what the missing pieces are to the jigsaw puzzle pieces you have scatter thrown, in the few words you put in each post you've made(you should have started telling of what year and model bike it is, what modifications on it, i.e. m-unit, what battery, what harness- is it the stock harness or totally new custom wiring. We want to help you, but with your apparent custom wired M-unit bike your problems seem tied together to me. Keep it all in one place as we cannot see your wiring when it's about the M-unit. Starting a new topic is not good progress on your part. I know you are new here and it sounds like the bike is a new venture to you(????). (I've sent a request for a mod to move you 3 started topics together because of missing information in each).
Electrical problems are hard enough to diagnose in person when you haven't done the work, trying to figure it out remotely, especially in custom applications....impossible without full disclosure on your part and not scattered about in different places. Keep the wiring problems together in one place until you have it running properly.

Here are your threads you started
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=58598
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

Offline newday777

• Old Timer
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 02:32:40 am »
And please.....Don't assume anyone can remember all your information.
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

Offline spectre

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 05:45:43 am »
First thread was about tach pick to gauge, not related. Second is about a cause for shut down of munit which I received some great insight, still having discussions and had mentioned erratic voltage, even with a large battery. Move if you need to, in this case both previous posters gave me what I was looking for so I appreciate that.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 06:29:15 am »
Bike with ignition on has consistent volts.

Bike when started has consistent voltage but after a minute voltage quickly goes up & down and sometimes by 2-3 volts.

Is that stator or rectifier typically? What keeps volts consistent?

Where are you taking measurements?  At the battery terminals or elsewhere?  The battery typically irons out transients due to its massive capacitance.  What size battery do you have?  Smaller batteries allow larger transients.  The battery voltage should dominate the bikes system voltage if the wiring distribution is properly up to the task.

If you are starting with electric start, the battery will lose full charge due to extra load. The charging system will try to restore charge aggressively at first and when near charge restoration will no longer try as hard, telling the alternator to back off to protect the battery from overcharge.
 This assumes your regulator knows what voltage is correct for your battery and your battery is in good condition.  Battery full for lead acid is > 12.7v. Battery full for lithium is >13.2V.

Does your regulator know you have a lithium battery?
Do you know your battery is still working like new?

Forget trying to blame the stator, unless you see bullet holes or axe marks in it.

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.