Author Topic: ‘77 CB550F front wheel off centered  (Read 663 times)

Offline MaVi

‘77 CB550F front wheel off centered
« on: September 18, 2019, 01:15:34 pm »
Is it normal for front tire to be closer to fork on brake side? I removed forks, changed tire and removed brake rotor. Wheel axle was not dissasembled neither the speedo drive gear. I am assembling front suspension with new tire and I notice it is not centered. I am not sure it was this way before but I can not find anything that could make it this way. I have no spacers, kept sppedo drive, etc. Maybe it was this way and it was less noticeable with previous tire (wider than actual). Any thoughts?

Offline Ace Blackwell

• Hot Shot
  • 1977 CB550F - Resurrection in progress
Re: ‘77 CB550F front wheel off centered
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 02:06:54 pm »
I have a 77 550F. My rim look centered.  Using a tape measure I took a rough measurement from the motor side fender bolt hole to rim. Mine is roughly  inch and a quarter give or take. 1/8 inch on both pass and dr. 
Sounds crazy  but is it possible the rim isn’t mounted 90 degree to ground. Meaning top of tire closer to driver side and bottom closer to passenger? Or is that even possible?

1977 CB550F Work in Progress

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 02:12:19 pm »
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline MaVi

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 03:28:12 pm »
Yes I do. I think I do. Fork clamps are still loose and will try to align it better tonight and see how it ends. Maybe its not aligned properly. I attach pics of fork ends.

Offline Darren Jakal

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 04:43:54 pm »
I found this from Mark Paris (Hondaman):

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,7401.0.html

Check your wheel alignment like this:
1. prop the bike upright (not on centerstand), as vertical as possible - or, get a friend....
2. Adjust the rear wheel so that the marks on both sides are dead equal (the marks are good on these swingarms).
3. Tie 2 strings onto the rear wheel. Rotate it until they are as high to the rear as you can get it, while pulling the strings to the front wheel, without hitting something underneath. You are going to measure the parallellism of front against rear wheels.
4. I use 2 wooden blocks for this part: set the strings on each side of the rear tire so they touch the tire on the front sides, then anchor them to the wooden block (nails?).

5. Set the front wheel straight. You'll probably find that the wheel is offset to one side. So, measure how much, then start adjusting spokes. TAKE YOUR TIME. You'll find it to be either 3mm off or 5mm off center, if someone else hasn't already tried this.

The wobble is caused by the front and rear wheels being parallel, not in line. When you're done, you may notice the odd-looking difference of wheel spacing between the front fork tubes. Remember that "look", then look for it when you see your next K0 model...it's a secret...but it's out in plain sight!

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 08:14:02 pm »
Fit the axle clamps on the bottom of the forks legs and tighten the nuts properly, then report back...
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....