Author Topic: carb removal cb500  (Read 2234 times)

Offline scott jones

• Enthusiast
carb removal cb500
« on: September 23, 2019, 04:58:19 am »
Good morning. I can't believe how difficult it is to remove the carbs from a cb500 let alone putting them back on with a stock air box. Did away with my pod filters this weekend. You 750 guys have it made because the stock air box can be removed easily. You can't remove the stock air box from a cb500 with out removing the carbs first. :(  Well now that my rant it over is there anyone out there that knows of an easier way to perform this task? I would love to know how the Honda techs do it. Thanks!

Honda3

Re: carb removal cb500
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 05:09:46 am »
Good morning. I can't believe how difficult it is to remove the carbs from a cb500 let alone putting them back on with a stock air box. Did away with my pod filters this weekend. You 750 guys have it made because the stock air box can be removed easily. You can't remove the stock air box from a cb500 with out removing the carbs first. :(  Well now that my rant it over is there anyone out there that knows of an easier way to perform this task? I would love to know how the Honda techs do it. Thanks!

I have a K2 750 AND a CB500.  Im taking the carbs off the 750 this week and replacing them with new ones. I did the same with my CB500 but paid someone to do it. Didnt feel like wrestling with it.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 05:11:55 am by Honda3 »

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 05:13:10 am »
 New or soft air box rubbers are a HUGE help

Loosen the clamps on the air box and on the carb side of the manifolds.  Loosen them a LOT.....more than you think you need to.
 Unhook throttle cable and fuel lines.
 Remove the top two bolts from the air box so it will slide back in the frame.
 Pop carbs out of manifolds and go down and out on the left side.

Installation is the reverse,  but use a little grease in the manifold rubber. I like to remove the 2 outer boots on the air box. They can be squeezed back in after carbs are in the manifolds.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 05:14:46 am »

I have a K2 750 AND a CB500.  Im taking the carbs off the 750 this week and replacing them with new ones. I did the same with my CB500 but paid someone to do it. Didnt feel like wrestling with it.

So in other words, you have no experience with it and nothing to add, other than showing off your pics....again.
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Honda3

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 05:19:15 am »
New or soft air box rubbers are a HUGE help

Loosen the clamps on the air box and on the carb side of the manifolds.  Loosen them a LOT.....more than you think you need to.
 Pop carbs out of manifolds and go down and out on the left side.Installation is the reverse,  but use a little grease in the manifold rubber. I like to remove the 2 outer boots on the air box. They can be squeezed back in after carbs are in the manifolds.

Wishing him the best of luck with his 500 carb install. Maybe he has friends who can help? Im so thankful a friend mechanic of mine is going to help out with swapping my carbs on my 750 this week. Saves me a lot of trouble. He lives 9 miles away and said we can have it done in 20 min. All my questions have been answered. Whew

And looking forward to the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride in NYC on Sunday. If any of you riders in NYC are unaware, come out to the ride! It will be a great time! This was taken last year - me at the ride with two venerable bikers.

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 05:21:20 am »
In my experience, it's out to the right side, that is on a CB500. Also it helps to squeeze the boots that sit in the air plenum and force them inwards a bit.
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 05:24:11 am »
 You can go out on the right on a CB500.  The clutch cable is in the way on a 550 and it's easier (for me) to go out the LH side.
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Honda3

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 05:24:50 am »
In my experience, it's out to the right side, that is on a CB500. Also it helps to squeeze the boots that sit in the air plenum and force them inwards a bit.

This is a 550 but JUST AS YOU SAID, at 7:14 he says "slide them to the right:

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 05:29:19 am »

This is a 550 but JUST AS YOU SAID, at 7:14 he says "slide them to the right:

How many times have you done this?

He removes the clutch cable. As *I* said, you go out the left on a 550 and don't have to remove the cable. I always go in and out from the left.

The clutch cable is on the left on a 500, but if you remove the sprocket cover and leave the cable attached, you can swing it out of the way. Or go in from the right on a 500.

The more important information is about the clamps, air box boots and manifolds.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 05:33:38 am by Scott S »
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Honda3

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 05:34:28 am »

I couldnt deal. On the 500 I just paid the mechanic $200 to do it. In my opinion it was money well spent.

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 05:36:43 am »
 Damn, at $200 a pop, I could make about $1500 a day doing this!
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 05:47:24 am »
How many times have you done this?
Enough times to know that, where it concerns a CB500, like in this thread, you bring them out to the right side, so you won't have to deal with the clutch cable at all. A CB550 has the clutch cable routed to the right side however. The good thing about these oldstyle carbs is, that for most chores you don't have to remove them at all. Let's take the slow jets for instance that often clog up in a long period of inactivity. Just remove the floatbowls and you can screw them out easily without having anything else to remove. Did it many times. Replacing the 16 crossheads by allen help a lot (see pic).
CB500K2-ED Excel black

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 05:50:48 am »
 That quote wasn't directed at you.

I clarified the difference between 500 and 550. And you're 100% correct about the Allen head screws. Only the super original 550F I had kept the cross head screws.
 Heck.... I find it easier to R&R the carbs for jet work vs. pulling the bowls, but that's just my preference.
 I've even changed needle clip position with them in the bike. To me, I'd rather work on them on the bench.

And I've found that after any initial troubles, they NEVER have to come out again. Just use a good in-tank filter and non-ethanol gas or a staibilizer.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 05:57:20 am by Scott S »
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Honda3

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 06:19:52 am »
That quote wasn't directed at you.

I clarified the difference between 500 and 550. And you're 100% correct about the Allen head screws. Only the super original 550F I had kept the cross head screws.
 Heck.... I find it easier to R&R the carbs for jet work vs. pulling the bowls, but that's just my preference.
 I've even changed needle clip position with them in the bike. To me, I'd rather work on them on the bench.

And I've found that after any initial troubles, they NEVER have to come out again. Just use a good in-tank filter and non-ethanol gas or a staibilizer.

Yep thats why i went ahead and bought a new rack. the original carbs are just that...original. its time for them to go. Now I dont have to worry about carbs for ages!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 06:26:14 am by Honda3 »

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 07:00:55 am »
Very nice! Work of Art.
CB500K2-ED Excel black

Offline Shtonecb500

• Master
    • Youtube profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 10:46:55 pm »
500/550 carbs stopped being a hassle when I started using  heat gun to get everything soft before removal.
73/74'' CB500/550 resto-mod - sold
75' 750f 91' cbr f2 swap cafe - mock up
74' 750 chopper hardtail - complete - sold
74' CB750/836kit - Black mix & match - daily rider - always tweaking
71' cb500 K0 survivor - complete
71' K1 - CANDY GOLD/BROWN Winton kit - in process

Offline scott jones

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 07:28:13 am »
Another question I had was can the slide needle be changed position with the carbs still in the bike? #2 & #3 look like the frame is in the way. Just asking. Thanks!

Offline scott jones

• Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 07:55:34 am »
Another question I had was I put a larger main jet in. Went from #100 to #110 because of the exhaust I have on the bike. I didn't change the Idle jet. I have a hesitation off idle but when I open or crack the throttle it's fine. Should I go bake to the stock main jet or replace the idle jet with a larger one? BY the way the timing & points settings are dead on. I have the slide needle set in the stock position #4.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2019, 07:59:34 am »
110s are way TOO big for a 500, especially with the stock air box. At most, 105s maybe if you have a truly open 4:1 pipe but that is a hypothesis not a recommendation. Only plug chops will tell you the true needs.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2019, 08:13:43 am »
 Needle clip position can be changed on the bike but it's a PITA.

Exactly what exhaust do you have? Is it baffled? More than likely,  you'll be fine with stock jets.
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline scott jones

• Enthusiast
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2019, 08:27:59 am »
4 into 1 baffled exhaust made by Winning. Ok I'll put the stock jets back in. The only good thing about this is I can pull the fuel bowls off without removing the carbs. LOL

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2019, 09:06:40 am »
 If you've done the full tune up, put the stock jets back in and do a vacuum sync. You may have to adjust the mixture screws slightly.
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline scott jones

• Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2019, 09:47:27 am »
Thanks. Will do.

Bobarama

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2019, 05:55:13 am »
I have found that removing the battery, battery box, air box and freeing the electrical panel on the left side of the bike by taking out the two 10 mm head screws gives me the extra room that I need I can have my air box out in about 20 minutes

Offline scott jones

• Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2019, 06:15:30 am »
Without removing the carbs first?