Author Topic: cruddy aluminum cleaning Q?  (Read 677 times)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
cruddy aluminum cleaning Q?
« on: September 26, 2019, 06:34:50 pm »
 I'm aware of vapor blasting but it's not available around here. I can pressure wash and soda blast but am getting lazier at my age, what else is there to clean up some F brake hubs, sprocket drives, front hubs and Aluminum 750A rims? These parts had a less than spectacular life but I'm planning some serious re-cycling.
  Ideas?

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Honda3

Re: cruddy aluminum cleaning Q?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 06:44:53 pm »
I'm aware of vapor blasting but it's not available around here. I can pressure wash and soda blast but am getting lazier at my age, what else is there to clean up some F brake hubs, sprocket drives, front hubs and Aluminum 750A rims? These parts had a less than spectacular life but I'm planning some serious re-cycling.
  Ideas?

Lava. But not too hot.

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 06:53:01 pm »
I think that the folks that make naval jelly also make an aluminum formula.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Honda3

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 06:54:47 pm »
I think that the folks that make naval jelly also make an aluminum formula.

Yeah i have some. they use it on airplanes and whatnot. Really good stuff. I will dig it out tomorrow and take a pic of it.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 07:27:42 pm »
Cool, new to me.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Keith

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 07:53:37 pm »
I picked up a cheap Harbor Freight soda blaster. That should clean up hubs and other aluminum nicely. Here are my carbs after soda blasting..a huge improvement over how they were before blasting.

Honda3

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 08:44:37 pm »
Im having another bout of insomnia, so I was able to dig out the polish I was talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/Aircraft-Tool-Supply-Aluminum-Met-All/dp/B07NF1F1Y6

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 09:03:36 pm »
That is different than the stuff I was thinking about, yours is a polish. The stuff I was thinking of is a cleaner, as goop,brush it on, let it work then wash off. Alumajelly sticks in my mind. I saw it at a True Value Hardware store.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 09:16:59 pm »
This is what I was thinking about, I have not tried it though.

Offline Tracksnblades1

• My Son was a collegiate competition Trap, Skeet, and sporting Clay
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 04:22:15 am »
  Ideas?

Wicked Products (available at class 8 truck centers i.e. Peterbuilt) some say the best.

Their aluminum metal polish will mirror big truck tanks and wheels with minimal effort.

Mothers is good, but requires 4x time with a buffer to get the same results as hand with the Wicked.

Diamond is quick and easy too. I think it's a Freightliner offering.

My F hub had clear over polished aluminum from the factory which had yellowed.
Age Quod Agis

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 04:27:10 am »
Any decent foaming "wheel cleaner" for aluminum rims, followed by stainless steel brushes, and then ScotchBrite. The cleaner degreases, the stainless does a great job at breaking up and removing the oxidation initially, then the ScotchBrite helps with "polishing".

If you do get them really clean, you can use a product SharkHyde (http://www.sharkhide.com/sharkhide_metal_protectant.htm) to help protect and maintain the ally. This product is used in marine environments to help keep ally tubing on boats, trailers etc protected and clean.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis