Author Topic: Parking switch fix  (Read 1533 times)

Offline raisin75

Parking switch fix
« on: October 31, 2019, 06:10:47 am »
After picking up my brand new 1977 CB750A (1637 miles!!) on Saturday, I began testing the electrical system. Everything seems to be working quite well with the exception of the flasher relay (easy fix) and the parking switch at the rear brake pedal.

I thought someone may be interested in how I'm repairing my switch. After trying to clean it by simply spraying some clear down through the plunger, I determined that wasn't going to work. I really wanted to keep the original function of this switch, so I thought about how could I repair it. I looked at the switch and realized that if I cut around the diameter of the non-threaded portion of the housing, I should be able to split it and access the contacts to clean them. I took my Dremel with a cutting disc and cut around the barrel of the switch and split it open.

Good news! It did have a small amount of corrosion inside, but easy enough to clean. The spring looked a bit rough, so I removed it and replaced it with a slightly modified spring from a Pilot gel pen. It was almost the perfect size. I cleaned the contacts and the plunger, applied some dielectric grease and held the 2 parts together for testing. It works.

Now I'm in the process of holding it together while aligned properly and applying JB Weld around the outside to put it back together. It will be covered up by the rubber boot, so no one will even notice. I'll get some pictures this evening before final assembly to show the work and what's inside.
Dee
Nesbit, MS
1983 GL650i (daily rider)
1977 CB750A
1972 Suzuki TC90

Offline vik351

• Enthusiast
  • Adelaide South Australia ...
Re: Parking switch fix
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 03:38:40 am »
What switch is this...???

Must have a look to see if I have one , or ate you just talking brake light , foot on foot brake. your Yank bikes are a bit different to ours...

As in the front blinkers being on in park mode , I dont mind the idea and have left mine hooked up, but not 100% sure it is legal here cos they are orange ...??? ,see how we go if the whollepers  come down on me

vik...  :-\

Offline raisin75

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 06:24:22 am »
At the foot brake, there is a switch screwed into the housing for the status of the parking brake. When the parking brake cable is pulled, you are allowed to engage the rear brake for parking. This switch turns on the "Park" status indicator on the right hand gauge and sounds the audible buzzer. It also breaks power to the brake light while the parking brake is engaged.
Dee
Nesbit, MS
1977 CB750A
1972 Suzuki TC90

Offline vik351

• Enthusiast
  • Adelaide South Australia ...
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 09:49:10 pm »
Well that makes more sense ... my switch is buggered too then ...

Thanks for that ,will look into it...

I onlt get the buzzer with the blinkers...

vik...

Offline jukku

• Enthusiast
  • Happy with my Hondamatic
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 09:08:48 am »
You can also use a car brake pedal switch with one NC and one NO pair of contacts.
Not identical shape with the original but very near.

Offline raisin75

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 09:25:18 am »
You can also use a car brake pedal switch with one NC and one NO pair of contacts.
Not identical shape with the original but very near.

That's really great to know! I couldn't think of anything else to use when I found that mine was bad. Thankfully I'm ok for now, but will keep this in mind for the future.
Dee
Nesbit, MS
1977 CB750A
1972 Suzuki TC90

Offline jukku

• Enthusiast
  • Happy with my Hondamatic