Author Topic: Replacing ignition coils on CB500  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Guevremont_S

Replacing ignition coils on CB500
« on: November 04, 2019, 12:48:30 pm »
Hi There,

Been lurking for some time. I purchased a 1972 CB500 that was stripped of its wiring harness, etc...

I have been looking online and in my Clymer manual for the answer and can't seem to figure out the following, my aftermarket coils have a positive and negative terminal and from what I understand the left coil fires 2nd and 3rd cylinders, and the right fires 1st and 4th..what I can't figure out is does the positive terminal of the coils go to the points (left yellow wire and right blue wire) or do I join them to the ignition switch?

I really appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

Offline roach374

• Enthusiast
Re: Replacing ignition coils on CB500
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 10:23:19 am »
According to the wiring diagram in the CB500 service manual (part 14), the original coils have a Black/Black pair of wires (for the right coil) and a Yellow/White pair (for the left coil). The white from the left coil, and one of the black wires from the right coil should both be hooked together and connected to something called the "ignition switch" (which is neither the starter button, nor the key lock) via a black-with-white-stripes wire. The other Yellow and black wires should connect to the contact breaker ("points").

I also have a 1972 CB500, so I double checked on my bike, and it looks consistent with the wiring diagram. On my bike, though, both coils have one yellow and one black wire.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: Replacing ignition coils on CB500
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 01:46:59 pm »
The Yellow and Blue wires go to the points. Blue is for cylinders 1-4, Yellow the inner two.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com