Author Topic: Failed collet  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Trevor from Warragul

• Expert
Failed collet
« on: February 01, 2007, 03:57:05 am »
Has anyone ever had a collet (valve keeper) do this?!  Snapped in half!  I thought the bike was making a slightly different top end noise & this is what I found.  This is the 4th collet failure I've had on my 350/4.  The first 3 wore away the ridge that fits in the valve groove (resulting in 2 dropped valves) - this was diagnosed by a mechanic as crappy case-hardening.  I got the collets case-hardened & two of the exhaust valves collets then proceeded to wear away (elongate) the valve grooves.  I then replaced those collets with the standard Honda ones only to have this happen.  Sheesh, this bike is starting to piss me off!  I replaced the broken collet (without removing the cylinder head - I'll tell you how if you ask).  I then removed the sump - I couldn't find the missing piece but there was a lot of fine crushed metal of the same colour (yep, you're gonna tell me it's bits of bearing, gears, pistons, cams, etc, but the top end looks remarkably clear of damage).  I cleaned out the sump & oil strainer, put in new oil, & the bike runs fine.  What next?!
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1976 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Re: Failed collet
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 05:43:37 am »
 You running stock springs in that? I've seen keepers pop out before secondary to overrevving and/or not enough pressure.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 10:17:59 pm »
Completely stock...  and I don't rev it that hard!  The good thing is, the bike is teaching me an awful lot about rebuilding motors!  When it came time to rebuild my Kawasaki H1A I thought "That'll be a piece of piss!" (Australian for "very easy").

1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 01:06:56 am »
what you describe is common when he colletts don't quite fit the valves. Did you check they grip valve stem, have same angle as spring top seat and are of correct radius?
Also, do like Harley says, have the gaps fore and aft when you install valves,( inline with rocker arms) they are less likely to jump out even if severely overrevved
Oops, another trade secret out of the bag ;D
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

kettlesd

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 09:38:45 am »
Yes, sounds like over-revving and/or the keepers have not been installed so that the ridges fit precisely in the valve-stem grooves. Theres no way you should be burning through them like that.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 09:47:40 am »
Completely stock...  and I don't rev it that hard!  The good thing is, the bike is teaching me an awful lot about rebuilding motors!  When it came time to rebuild my Kawasaki H1A I thought "That'll be a piece of piss!" (Australian for "very easy").

Completely stock yeah, but did you buy it new?! If not you'll never know for sure what might have been done to it in the past 30 years such as different valves or keepers that don't match the valves. This is not necessarily indicative of your bike but something that can happen to any of us.

Now, if Kooler King Terry has had his hands on it down under, well............................
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 03:31:54 am »
NOS from David Silver Spares - even came in the genuine Honda plastic bags.  I think I got a bad batch...
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 07:46:30 am »
Yeah but are those valves stock? What I meant by "did you buy it new" was the bike. If the engine had been opened up prior to your purchasing it perhaps valves had been changed with an after market brand and the seats/grooves for the keepers are slightly different. Perhaps the retainers could be part of the issue if they aren't a perfect match. Are the valves slopping around in the guides creating an issue? Just different scenarios to throw out there. I hope it was a bad batch and you get your problem solved easily.     
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 01:14:52 am »
Everything was NOS, from the cam followers through to valves, springs (inner & outer), etc.  EVERYTHING!  As for overrevving, I have not taken the bike past 6000 RPM since installing new rings.  I truly believe I got a dud set of collets... 
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 05:31:45 am »
Not sure if it helps you out at all, but one trick I was taught was after the keepers are in place and the springs are released, lay a rag over the top of the valve spring and lightly tap on the top of the valve stem a few times with a small hammer. This helps to fully seat the keepers in the spring retainer, and if something isn't in properly and the keepers pop off, the rag keeps them from flying across the shop (or into your eye).
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 06:48:15 am »
Not sure if it helps you out at all, but one trick I was taught was after the keepers are in place and the springs are released, lay a rag over the top of the valve spring and lightly tap on the top of the valve stem a few times with a small hammer. This helps to fully seat the keepers in the spring retainer, and if something isn't in properly and the keepers pop off, the rag keeps them from flying across the shop (or into your eye).
very true.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3