Author Topic: how to get those flimsy looking things over the balls on the carbjustment thing  (Read 491 times)

Offline Redline it

• Hot Shot
  • thread killer
does anyone know how to get those (possibly dust cover Z part) off of the balls in between the carbs? i thought maybe the balls unscrew, i see there's a little dark plug on the outside of a ball.

i'm trying to put in another sync adjuster in but can't figure out how to take that flap thing off. to put the other one in. please don't tell me that the steel lever going into the carb tops have to be disassembled and they're a solid set?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 01:24:21 pm by Redline it »

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
They just stretch over the ball
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline Redline it

• Hot Shot
  • thread killer
They just stretch over the ball

i hope they have stretch left, maybe some heat would help. i'm betting one will break. but thanks alot.

Offline scott jones

• Enthusiast
I left mine off. Mine were torn. Right or wrong?

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
Get them up to room temp, gently clean them with some qtips/soap, and apply sillicone paste to see if that brings back some softness.  Maybe give it some time to soak in before wiping away the excess paste.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline Redline it

• Hot Shot
  • thread killer
what are those things anyways? some sort of tricked out dust cover for the balls? i can't see where they'd be anymore of an alignment thing than the dust cover Bs that for the longest time i figured they were for some stabilization or something.

thanks for the replies, what i ended up doing was after trying to get the brass caps off of another spare (junk) rack and they were on so tight, i said screw it and just put the stripped one back on. someone (probably me) the thing so tight that 1.3 mm of the top aluminum threads were stuck into the cap and powdered. so loosing that much i only had 2 threads in the thing, i was gonna put a washer in and then drill a hole for a cotter pin. and then it dawned on a passing brain cell to cancel the washer, and add some aluminum foil folded 3 time and the length to just wrap around the threads with 1/4in overlap, but it wouldn't stay on, so it was time for the shot in the sync arm with jb metal weld to spread thin around the threads to hold the foil on, then the nut screwed on excellent. so now see if they work. i got to put some flat bowls on it so that seals, the connector tubes should work, only part about the set is #1carb main jet tower is eroded in a spot that just about exposes the oring.