Author Topic: Suggestions CB550F rebuild or new engine?  (Read 945 times)

Offline tigerfreedom

Suggestions CB550F rebuild or new engine?
« on: December 22, 2019, 04:20:23 pm »
I’m looking at a 76’ CB550F. Everything else is in good shape but current owner says that the engine is not salvageable. So, I’ve been trying to find out what a new engine would cost if old one can’t be rebuilt.

Does anyone have a source for a new engine? +\- cost?

If able to rebuild, assuming worst case scenario, how much would it cost for those of you that have done it yourself? Had done at a mechanic shop?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 07:29:13 pm by tigerfreedom »

Offline Airborne 82nd

• Expert
Re: Suggestions CB550F rebuild or new engine?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 08:19:44 pm »
I think finding a new one is slim to none. Anything can be rebuild if you want to throw enough money at it.

Offline Redline it

• Hot Shot
  • thread killer
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 10:22:09 pm »
It should be a steal then. I wouldn't ask too many questions about it with the current owner. If you want it, offer him a low ball price. If he goes for it even if it is something like cases or crank whatever, then pick up a motor to build and you got allot of spare parts, or better his motor might not be as bad as he says. It's nice to have a spare bike or 2 entirely for parts.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 11:20:20 pm »
NEW engines do not exist, used ones condition unknown do and price varies a lot but would guess 3-500, value of MINT restoration 1000's value of runner ?
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 05:24:38 am »
I’d find out exactly what he means by not salvageable. Is it just stuck due to the rings rusting to the cylinders OR did he pour sand in the engine and run it full throttle in his driveway for 20 minutes? What I’m saying is you don’t know what someone thinks is “not salvageable”.

This bike shouldn’t be more than a couple hundred bucks either way. I’d check it out.

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 05:29:16 am »
And to answer your question, depending on your skill/space/enthusiasm I would rebuild it. If you aren’t very handy, just get another bike that’s trash with a good motor and drop it in. I wouldn’t trust ANY shop with these engines. Unless specifically recommended by a forum member. Too many people on the forum posting about shops that did shotty work and the engine is leaking oil or something.

Offline tigerfreedom

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 01:16:27 pm »
It should be a steal then. I wouldn't ask too many questions about it with the current owner. If you want it, offer him a low ball price. If he goes for it even if it is something like cases or crank whatever, then pick up a motor to build and you got allot of spare parts, or better his motor might not be as bad as he says. It's nice to have a spare bike or 2 entirely for parts.
What do you consider low ball assuming worse case on motor?

Offline Tracksnblades1

• My Son was a collegiate competition Trap, Skeet, and sporting Clay
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 01:29:09 pm »
Got a Picture...?
Age Quod Agis

Offline tigerfreedom

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 09:36:56 pm »
I’d find out exactly what he means by not salvageable. Is it just stuck due to the rings rusting to the cylinders OR did he pour sand in the engine and run it full throttle in his driveway for 20 minutes? What I’m saying is you don’t know what someone thinks is “not salvageable”.

This bike shouldn’t be more than a couple hundred bucks either way. I’d check it out.

So I got some detail on what the issue is... basically one of the pistons blew and went through the motor while he was riding it. He didn’t notice until after he parked it and saw a leak. He took to a shop and once they opened it up at the shop they saw that the piston had damaged the inside of the motor pretty bad.

With that, what would y’all estimate value of bike to be?

Offline Tracksnblades1

• Master
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 09:45:41 pm »

So I got some detail on what the issue is... basically one of the pistons blew and went through the motor while he was riding it. He didn’t notice until after he parked it and saw a leak. He took to a shop and once they opened it up at the shop they saw that the piston had damaged the inside of the motor pretty bad.

Do you have a picture...?

Hard to say exactly, dents, frame rusted out, fuel tank condition , seat condition, head light, front forks, front rim, rear rim, etc, etc, .... It would depend some on what your looking at..

For instance my wife has a two carat diamond ring.... What's it worth....?
Age Quod Agis

Offline tigerfreedom

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 10:04:08 pm »

Hard to say exactly, dents, frame rusted out, fuel tank condition , seat condition, head light, front forks, front rim, rear rim, etc, etc, .... It would depend some on what your looking at..

Offline tigerfreedom

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2019, 10:05:33 pm »

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2019, 10:45:30 pm »
If the owner gave me $50, I would haul it to the dump for him...if he lived fairly close to the dump. Lol
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline roach374

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 10:48:42 pm »
That's a good looking cafe racer. Got some potential! I would drop a couple hundred on that easy. (But then again, I'm a dummy)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2019, 12:44:48 am »
it blew a piston and he didn't notice it until he parked it and noticed a leak = #$%*ing retard man?

Offline flatlander

• Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2019, 03:05:40 am »
If the owner gave me $50, I would haul it to the dump for him...if he lived fairly close to the dump. Lol

that's it. mutilated POS from a dumbass owner. look further.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2019, 03:50:46 am »
Repeat
it blew a piston and he didn't notice it until he parked it and noticed a leak = #$%*ing retard man?

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2019, 04:31:53 am »
I would honestly say that’s probably worth ~$250 (for me personally it’s worth exactly $0). Any more and you’re just paying for looks that can be easily recreated. There is no money is making and selling cafe racers.

A piston blew and shot through the motor and he didn’t notice until there was a leak sounds very odd. Retard at the very least.

Main reason you shouldn’t pay much for that is that it’s customized. That means that you’ll be dealing with his electrical and mechanical skills for months. People like this generally don’t know how to build bikes. You’ll be going through this bike and replacing most of the stuff anyway, you’ll be better off getting a decent donor with good strong running engine that you can customize to your exact liking. And the benefit of getting a stock bike is that you now have parts to sell. You might really like the look of this bike but I’ll tell you that it’s nothing special.

If you want a cafe and would rather just buy an already built one that’s fine. But get one that can run and ride and get someone to help take a look at it. Hell, this forum is large and there’s likely a member in your area that would help check it out for a 6 pack. I know I would.

If the motor was good (and you could test ride it and check compression and handling and all checks out as a sound bike) it would probably be worth $1200. A stock bike in similar condition would be closer to $1800. This is my assessment, there are many like it but this one is mine.

Offline flatlander

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2019, 05:15:34 am »
this is a cheap-ass rattlecan type of cafe - not in the spirit of the original cafe racers that were about performance. people who do this generally have no clue and create a hack job that's full of problems. i bet even if you fix the piston damage, the thing will run like crap. i would not pay anything for it. walk away.

Offline Tracksnblades1

• Master
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2019, 05:36:58 am »
Still worth a 1000 words.......

One man's gold is another man's  junk....
Age Quod Agis

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2019, 08:05:50 am »
With a motor like that its only worth what you would get weighing it in for scrap then anything you want to keep is a bonus
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline low-side

• Enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2019, 08:33:50 am »
I agree with Dave.  $250 at best if you are in love with the look.  If he didn't notice that he blew the engine until he parked it, I would budget for rebuilding a replacement engine (go 650 in that case) and plan on going through every system fixing his mistakes.  Whether you opt for this bike or a nice runner, you should expect to spend about $2K before you're happy with it.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2019, 08:39:41 am »

So I got some detail on what the issue is... basically one of the pistons blew and went through the motor while he was riding it.

I've never seen this happen on a SOHC Honda!  And highly doubt it did.  Tell him to send a pic.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........