Author Topic: XJ650 Carbs on 750A question  (Read 4622 times)

Offline tscott

Re: XJ650 Carbs on 750A question
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2020, 07:07:41 am »
Jukku, curious why you think fresh originals would be "far better" than your hack? It sounds like your hack is performing quite well (as best as you can tell)... even after 10 seasons. Where did you get the silicone and how much did it run you?
T

Offline jukku

• Enthusiast
  • Happy with my Hondamatic
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2020, 10:23:12 am »
I canĀ“t say if fresh originals are 5 or 25% better but who cares when the bike is running and not garaged.
Theese silicon ones are a little bit soft and flexing so you can count the heartbeats.
The silicon 90 degree bends are availeble in almost any tuning shop.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 10:26:46 am by jukku »

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2020, 04:38:04 pm »
Yep, I think the silicon bends are a great "Redneck" fix, but original insulators are designed to give a smooth transition from carb to inlet without the "steps" created by just having a tube that fits the OD of the carb and inlet stub. As has been said above, maybe there's some value in the turbulence produced by this, but if there was, Honda wouldn't have gone to the trouble of engineering them as they did, if rubber hoses would have sufficed. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2020, 04:22:46 pm »
I found a pic of my old CV carb equipped K2 today when looking for something else, so i thought I'd post it here as inspiration. Another bike I wish I'd never sold....... ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2020, 06:10:31 pm »
It was a great job though, apart from a small dead spot just off idle, the acceleration was linear and the throttle was super light, compared to the OEM setup. I've had CR carbs on a CB750 and they were OK for WOT stuff, but for normal riding, the CV's blitzed them. ;D

Yep I agree. I could never quite understand why anybody would want to put a set of CR's on a road bike. ::)
The older I get the faster I was.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2020, 06:57:31 pm »
It was a great job though, apart from a small dead spot just off idle, the acceleration was linear and the throttle was super light, compared to the OEM setup. I've had CR carbs on a CB750 and they were OK for WOT stuff, but for normal riding, the CV's blitzed them. ;D

Yep I agree. I could never quite understand why anybody would want to put a set of CR's on a road bike. ::)

Thanks Brian, I think that a lot of folks enjoy the "form" as much as the function. My current project (Kawasaki Z1000 drag bike) that I'm slowly putting back on the road has an old set of Suzuki GSXR CV carbs on it, and I'd thought about replacing them with new Mikuni's, but I was surprised at how clean they are when I pulled them apart yesterday, all the diaphragms are still fine and no other damage that I can see, so apart from cleaning out the old Avgas and blowing out the various circuits, they were good to go. I love the lighter throttle of CV carbs, so it should be a nice thing to ride when finished. ;D