Author Topic: Help! rewiring a 1972 CB500K, can't figure out the reg/rec.  (Read 1519 times)

Offline roach374

• Enthusiast
Help! rewiring a 1972 CB500K, can't figure out the reg/rec.
« on: December 26, 2019, 02:11:54 pm »
I'm rewiring my 1972 Honda CB550K to use:

For the most part, I understand how it all fits together, except for the stator. All the various instructions I've read around the internet sort of help but they're all missing a wire, or have an extra wire. Some of them want to ground some wires, and some don't.

The Reg/Rec wires (3 wires, green/white/black, and the stator connector, yellow x 3, red and green):

The stator wires (3 yellow, green and white, plus the oil pressure (blue/red) and neutral (green/red) switches):

The solenoid / fuse (I think the solitary black wire from the reg/rec plugs into the bottom/right red wire on the solenoid):

My wiring diagram (which might contain mistakes):

My main questions:
  • Where do the white and green wires coming from the stator connect to?
  • Where do all the non-yellow wires coming from the Rick's Reg/Rec connect to?

Variously, internet sources claim they connect to eachother, to the ignition switch, to the battery, to ground, or to the "field coil" (which I assume is the two wires coming from the points cover?)

If anyone's done this before, please help me out!

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: Help! rewiring a 1972 CB500K, can't figure out the reg/rec.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 07:41:42 pm »
The white wire from the "stator" is one end of the field coil, and needs to be connected to the white regulator wire.
The green wire from the "stator" is the other end of the field coil, and needs to be connected to ground.
The green regulator wire, as well as the green rectifier connection, also are grounded.
General rule of thumb: ALL solid green wires are grounded. It doesn't matter much how you do it as long as they all have a good electrical connection to battery neg. ;)
The red rectifier wire is normally connected directly to the battery pos terminal on the solenoid.
The black reg wire is connect to switched 12v; only hot when the key is on.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline roach374

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 09:48:01 am »
The white wire from the "stator" is one end of the field coil, and needs to be connected to the white regulator wire.
The green wire from the "stator" is the other end of the field coil, and needs to be connected to ground.
The green regulator wire, as well as the green rectifier connection, also are grounded.
General rule of thumb: ALL solid green wires are grounded. It doesn't matter much how you do it as long as they all have a good electrical connection to battery neg. ;)
The red rectifier wire is normally connected directly to the battery pos terminal on the solenoid.
The black reg wire is connect to switched 12v; only hot when the key is on.

Thanks for the help!

Out of curiosity, why are you putting the word "stator" in quotes? Is that not the right word for it?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 09:57:35 am by roach374 »

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 06:47:34 pm »
The alternator consists of three components: the rotor, the field coil, and the stator. Both the field and stator are mounted inside the alternator cover, with the field inside the rotor, and the stator around the outside of the rotor. The field is an electromagnet, whose strength is controlled by the regulator. This magnetic field is transferred to the alternating poles of the rotor, which induce an alternating current in the stator coils(the yellow wires), which is then rectified into DC to charge the battery. ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....