Author Topic: Island Classic 2020 at Phillip Island  (Read 3768 times)

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Island Classic 2020 at Phillip Island
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2020, 01:03:44 pm »
I agree the FJ's seem an odd first choice power plant. They are making big power though Mike.

Denis Curtis CMR) has built many frames to use this engine. Denis tells me they like the FJ engine because it's already a large displacement, plus is quite robust... As Simon says though I never saw one "in the day", but this class is different from back in the day.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 01:16:42 pm by bwaller »

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2020, 02:39:25 pm »
the fj110 came out around 84'. so guess it meets some the cut off date.
Maybe it wasnt a mainstream motor to use, but Sonauto Yamaha did enter one in endurance, albeit as a proto... maybe thats enough to make that engine eligible

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2020, 05:28:50 pm »
im surprised there are any fjs there at all , there were none racing back in the day . how do you have a classic race full of bikes that were never raced in the period ?

Arrr... Now there's the rub.
Fergus Cameron (PI Competitions Director at the time) allowed a certain high profile bike owner to run a couple in Harris frames to entice he and his stable of bikes to remain in the event. That instigated an arms race and nobody has been able to stuff the genie back in the bottle since.
A short sighted solution  resulting in what will eventually damage any credibility Australian Historic Racing had locally and internationally.

OK OK I'll get back in my box. ::)
It appears I've morphed into a grumpy old man. >:(
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 07:10:37 pm by bear »
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline Captain

• Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2020, 12:48:33 am »
im surprised there are any fjs there at all , there were none racing back in the day . how do you have a classic race full of bikes that were never raced in the period ?

Fergus Cameron (PI Competitions Director at the time) allowed a certain high profile bike owner to run a couple in Harris frames to entice he and his stable of bikes to remain in the event. That instigated an arms race and nobody has been able to stuff the genie back in the bottle since.
A short sighted solution  resulting in what will eventually damage any credibility Australian Historic Racing had locally and internationally.

No you are not “grumpy” but you have every right to be  as you are 100% correct about it.
Special bikes for a single event and 4 x 6 lap races at said event.
Started out as pre-82  (worldwide) but got “tweeted” to allow 84 Yamahas in.
It’s a mess and has already corrupted the classes and continues to do so.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2020, 06:20:06 am »

ok bear, i see know... good to know the inside story instead of making conjectures.... of course it easily gets into a "slippery slope thing". If you allow 84' stuff, then the gpz900 will come into play and that bike really changed production based big bike racing....sent everybody back to do their homework...
But same sort thing happened in European Classic Endurance when they opened the gate for the 16V suzuki motors,

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2020, 06:51:27 am »

ok bear, i see know... good to know the inside story instead of making conjectures.... of course it easily gets into a "slippery slope thing". If you allow 84' stuff, then the gpz900 will come into play and that bike really changed production based big bike racing....sent everybody back to do their homework...
But same sort thing happened in European Classic Endurance when they opened the gate for the 16V suzuki motors,
I've done work in the past for a 16valve endurance engine. Big power but limited size rear tire is the big equalizer.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2020, 09:38:42 am »
Not sure how it will be established but AHRMA is allowing some sort of Phillip Island Challenge class this year. There was even talk of allowing same bikes in one of our VRRA classes to open the door for US riders to come north to race.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2020, 02:05:41 pm »
spotted now 1998 "blue dot" Yamaha R1 calipers on the things..... :P

Offline slikwilli420

• Master of Disaster
  • Master
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2020, 06:35:18 pm »
Not sure how it will be established but AHRMA is allowing some sort of Phillip Island Challenge class this year. There was even talk of allowing same bikes in one of our VRRA classes to open the door for US riders to come north to race.

It was a limited run class last year at larger events. Saw a few of our PI team bikes out there. Good test and tune ro get ready for the big show.
All you gotta do is do what you gotta do.

Vintage Speed Parts Mashup: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=133638.0
Rickman CR Parts Kit Refresh: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,154837.0.html
AHRMA CB750 Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,158461.0.html
AHRMA Superbike Heavyweight Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173120.0.html
'76F CB750 Patina Redemption: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,174871.0.html