Author Topic: Dunstall fairing CB750 mount?  (Read 2972 times)

Offline Vin750

• Enthusiast
Dunstall fairing CB750 mount?
« on: February 19, 2020, 05:59:49 am »
Hi all, i have been hunting for Dunstall parts here in Australia for a while. Last week I found a very solid Dunstall fairing to complete my Dunstall bike.

Now I need to find the windshield and the mounts for it.

A long time ago I saw someone talking about schematics for the Dunstall fairing mount. Can anyone here help me with this info? Maybe share some photos of how it’s made please?

Here is what I got. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Rookster

• Hot Shot
Re: Dunstall fairing CB750 mount?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 03:56:13 pm »
Hi
The Dunstall fairing had 2 mounting points.  There was a mount from the neck and another under the 2 frame fails under the gas tank.  I didn't have the original mounts so I made my own.  I am in the process of making a new neck mount out of aluminum but I won't be working on it until the weather warms up. 

Here is the neck mount.  I used long eye bolts around the tank mount pins to hold the bracket tight against the neck of the frame.

The 2nd bracket supports the bottom of the fairing and is held in place by U clamps.  You can see the eye bolts for the neck bracket around the tank mount pins on the frame.

with

These 2 brackets are approximations of what Dunstall supplied with the fairing.  I am making much nicer brackets that will be adjustable.  I started on the new neck bracket.  Here is what I have so far.

Always use some type of rubber washers or buffers between the brackets and the fiberglass fairing.  The headlight hole has been enlarged on your fairing.  Here is what it looked like originally.

Post some pics of your bike.  I love to see Dunstall bikes and parts.

Scott

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 05:30:53 pm »
That method of attachment is how i remember doing it in the 70's now you stirred the grey cells. Aparently Paul Dunstall has gone back to being a builder. Bought several show bikes from him back in the day
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline Vin750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 06:12:09 am »
That method of attachment is how i remember doing it in the 70's now you stirred the grey cells. Aparently Paul Dunstall has gone back to being a builder. Bought several show bikes from him back in the day

I didn’t know he was still around, how do I find him?

Offline Vin750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 06:22:58 am »
Hi
The Dunstall fairing had 2 mounting points.  There was a mount from the neck and another under the 2 frame fails under the gas tank.  I didn't have the original mounts so I made my own.  I am in the process of making a new neck mount out of aluminum but I won't be working on it until the weather warms up. 

Here is the neck mount.  I used long eye bolts around the tank mount pins to hold the bracket tight against the neck of the frame.

The 2nd bracket supports the bottom of the fairing and is held in place by U clamps.  You can see the eye bolts for the neck bracket around the tank mount pins on the frame.

with

These 2 brackets are approximations of what Dunstall supplied with the fairing.  I am making much nicer brackets that will be adjustable.  I started on the new neck bracket.  Here is what I have so far.

Always use some type of rubber washers or buffers between the brackets and the fiberglass fairing.  The headlight hole has been enlarged on your fairing.  Here is what it looked like originally.

Post some pics of your bike.  I love to see Dunstall bikes and parts.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your help and the info. We talked before, I wanted to buy your red fairing but shipping it to Australia was prohibitive due to the cost.

How does the mount hold to the front of the frame? Did you have to weld anything on to the frame?

What’s holding the headlight and turn signals?

I see your yellow fairing doesn’t appear to be fibreglass. It’s flat and not rugged like fibreglass and be edge is square and white.

What material is it made of? And is it original?

Looking at the one I got, the opening for the headlight isn’t the same as yours. The top of yours is flat whilst mine is round.

The bike I have is a K1 which I got some years ago. It has a lot of history, the guy had it since 1975 and it went through many transitions. Until he put the Dunstall kit on it. But he never had the fairings. He said the pipes rot very fast and the rearsets had issues, and fell apart. So he put Australian made Hanko pipes and Tarozzi rearsets.

The wheels are Henry Abe, and I think they are original.

When I got the bike the tank was leaking, so I put a liner on it and I am yet to put fuel in it. I hope it holds, it was hard to put the liner in because the tank has two compartments and I can’t see if I covered all the rear compartment since I can’t see it. I literally spent hours rolling that tank with the product inside.

Here are some photos of the bike.

Offline Rookster

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 10:42:47 am »
Your bike looks very nice.  Great minds think alike :)  I switched from Lester wheels to Henry Abe wheels a few years ago.

The fairing mount is hard to explain but easy to reproduce.  I don't have any better pictures of the mounts.  I used 2 eye bolts to hold the bracket tight to the frame neck.  The eye of the bolt goes over the short pins on the frame that hold the rubber tank locators.  The arrows show the bolts.

This is how Dunstall did it.  The bracket does not move or shift because it is held tight by the eye bolts and there is a seam that runs down the neck of the frame.  The bracket locates on this seam.

The headlight and the turn signals are held in place by 2 brackets.  You can see them in this picture.  The brackets mount to the fairing using those 2 holes either side of the headlight.  I made those out of aluminum and just bent it in a vise. 

The fairing with the sharpie marker lines on it is the original finish.  I drew the lines on it while positioning it for mounting.  It has since been painted.  This is a NOS Dunstall fairing.  It is fiberglass or as Dunstall ca!led It glass reinforced plastic or GRP.  It was never mounted when I got it.  They were gel coated not painted.  The white edges are where the bottom of the fairing was cut by Dunstall.  There were different cut outs for different bikes.  The red fairing I had was cut out for a Norton Commando.  It is rough on the inside but the yellow color hides it. 

Hth
Scott

Offline Vin750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 08:27:24 pm »
Thanks for the compliment Scott, that bike still needs work before it can be on the road.

I understand how you made the fairing mount now. It doesn’t sound hard at all, what reference point did you use to define how much distance the front of the fairing needs from the triple tree and what did you align the bottom of the fairing to? Is it parallel to the frame tube? How far from the bottom of the tank?

What did you do with the wires? Are they still inside the headlight or did you move them elsewhere? Since the headlight is a bit further away from the front of the bike I think the wires would be too stretched.

What are the holes I screw highlighted here for? Do you have any photos of the original mounts?

Last but not least, the mount that you made that goes under the tank, is it just a flat bar?

Offline Rookster

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 06:25:22 am »
Hello

I just eyeballed the fairing location where it seemed to fit the best for fork swing clearance.  The tank covers just a small section of the fairing.  That's where I drew the lines on the fairing.  Just make sure you have clearance here so the fairing isn't touching the bottom of the tank.  As for the height, again I just eyeballed it.  I used Dunstall catalog pictures to approximate where it would have originally been positioned.  I think my fairing is too far forward so I'm making an adjustable front mount for it.

The wiring will not reach the headlight bucket.  I just wrapped a piece of black leather around the ball of wiring and connectors. It hides it pretty well. 

The holes on the underside of the fairing are for the fairing lowers which I have.  They just haven't been painted yet so they are sitting in my garage.  I had to drill all those holes.  The only holes that were originally drilled by Dunstall were the windscreen, top mount, and either side of the headlight. 

The lower mount is just a flat bar.

Scott

Offline Vin750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 02:50:55 am »
Scott do you have any info on the windshield design? I am trying to get one made here.

Online Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 08:45:49 am »
"I used 2 eye bolts to hold the bracket tight to the frame neck.  The eye of the bolt goes over the short pins on the frame that hold the rubber tank locators.  The arrows show the bolts."

That's really clever, they just slip over the tank rubber mounts on the frame then the bolts pull it tight. Nicely done.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Rookster

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 06:45:00 am »
Thanks.

The wind screen is hard to find.  There is a place in Florida that makes reproductions called Gustafsson Plastics.  There website is https://bikescreen.com/  I have had one of these for the Dunstall fairing and it did not fit great.  The contour is different than the Dunstall screen.  I ended up having to buy another NOS fairing to get the screen.  There is a fairing with a screen that has been on ebay for over a year but it isn't cheap.  The screen was the hardest part of the Dunstall kit to find when I was building my bike. 

Scott

Online Bankerdanny

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 09:59:45 am »
Thanks.

The wind screen is hard to find.  There is a place in Florida that makes reproductions called Gustafsson Plastics.  There website is https://bikescreen.com/  I have had one of these for the Dunstall fairing and it did not fit great.  The contour is different than the Dunstall screen.  I ended up having to buy another NOS fairing to get the screen.  There is a fairing with a screen that has been on ebay for over a year but it isn't cheap.  The screen was the hardest part of the Dunstall kit to find when I was building my bike. 

Scott

I've been thinking about a Dunstall type fairing for my 750F and have been looking at the various options that Airtech offers. The thing is that I don't want clip-ons or Ace bars. I want to run either an m bar or mayber a superbike bar. These last couple of pictures have been very helpful in giving me a frame of reference for where the upper par of the par opening sits reletive to the triple. Based on what I am looking at it looks like 0 rise M bars would work ok.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Rookster

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 05:01:14 am »
Clip ons were uncomfortable for me also.  I have tried a bunch of options.  The superbike bars felt the best but just sitting on the bike they don't allow any turning radius.  I tried drag bars and they fit ok but they don't really come back much and they did limit the turning radius.  I eventually switched to the adjustable Jota bars.  I have them so they are essentially no rise but they do come back more than the drag bars and give the best turning radius.  I think M bars would give you a similar feel.  Airtech doesn't carry this particular Dunstall fairing but Glass From the Past does.  It is definitely bigger than the rounded Dunstall fairing that were really for skinnier bikes like the Norton and Triumph twins.  I

Scott

Online Bankerdanny

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 09:53:26 am »
Clip ons were uncomfortable for me also.  I have tried a bunch of options.  The superbike bars felt the best but just sitting on the bike they don't allow any turning radius.  I tried drag bars and they fit ok but they don't really come back much and they did limit the turning radius.  I eventually switched to the adjustable Jota bars.  I have them so they are essentially no rise but they do come back more than the drag bars and give the best turning radius.  I think M bars would give you a similar feel.  Airtech doesn't carry this particular Dunstall fairing but Glass From the Past does.  It is definitely bigger than the rounded Dunstall fairing that were really for skinnier bikes like the Norton and Triumph twins.  I

Scott

Thanks for the heads up on the source.

I have 2 of the Hondaline fairings that are common on the CBX and 700/1000 Sabres. I bought them with the intention of putting one on my 550, but decided it was too big. I haven't mocked one up on the 750, but I am thinking it is still a bit too large. The Dunstall type on your bike just looks sleeker.

Offline Vin750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2020, 08:44:50 am »

Scott

Hi Scott, are you able to shed some light on my Henry Abe wheel question please?

Here http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,183500.0.html

Offline Vin750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 12:33:08 am »
Hi Scott,

My friend is making the fairing mount for me and I was wondering if yours have any rubbers between the front mount and the fairing?

I got two photos from different people with original Dunstall fairings and one had rubbers but the other didn’t. The one that didn’t had a NOS kit though and maybe he missed that.

What do you think?

Thanks

Offline Rookster

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 03:34:29 am »
I used rubber washers on the lower mount and rubber grommets on the front mount.  The wind and road bumps will wiggle the fairing a tiny bit but I would rather have that than cracking. I originally used isolation blocks by they had too much side to side movement.  So I switched to a through bolt with rubber grommets between the fairing and the mount.

Scott

Offline Vin750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2020, 03:15:46 pm »
I used rubber washers on the lower mount and rubber grommets on the front mount.  The wind and road bumps will wiggle the fairing a tiny bit but I would rather have that than cracking. I originally used isolation blocks by they had too much side to side movement.  So I switched to a through bolt with rubber grommets between the fairing and the mount.

Scott

Thanks Scott, can you share a photo please?