Author Topic: CB750 K3 - dropped on right side questions  (Read 757 times)

Offline Gene

• Chat enuf you too can be a
  • Master
  • One bike is enuf, change my mind
CB750 K3 - dropped on right side questions
« on: February 26, 2020, 11:39:52 am »
Yesterday in my office parking lot I was taking a turn, a turn I've taken for 10 years, and the bike just slid out from under me like I'd hit a patch of ice.

Never had that happen.

Damage to the bike was minimal - crushed point cover, chipped and lightly bent from right turn signal, couple scrapes here and there.

Riding it home last night 10 miles into a 20 mile commute it starts jumping, missing, smoke pouring out of the tailpipes. I limped it to streetlight to get off of PCH and took the points cover off - rode home ok. So the cover was causing one set of point to either short or it kept them from moving.

My question is this: I haven't had time to look closely at everything - is there anything anyone has from experience that I should keep a sharp eye out for? Will definitely have a look this weekend but the bike is not idling right, I'm guessing it's the points but just looking for ideas if anyone has any.

Thank you.
*1973 CB750K3 (Bow)

Offline robvangulik

• Honda Fourever
  • Expert
Re: CB750 K3 - dropped on right side questions
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 11:51:12 am »
A couple of crash bars will do wonders might it happen again, for now it shouldn't be too difficult to see what got damaged by your latest escapade. Check if the ignition timing still is correct, and there are no wires damaged anywhere....

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 11:53:51 am »
Get it idling, see if the point shaft aka stud is wobbling...
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 12:23:55 pm »
 Always quick and easy for starters to check the exhaust pipe temps after it has run for a short bit with a wet rag sizzle test. If a pair of cylinders are cooler like 1-4 or 2-3 are cooler then a good bet it is points are associated along that line. If its just one pipe out it could be a stuck float from laying on its side or fouled plug etc..  Sorry about your lay down.

Offline desertrefugee

• Still wanna be a...
  • Hot Shot
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 08:08:13 pm »
What about the smoke pouring from the pipes? That sure doesn't fit the scenario.  Black smoke or grey?  Seems a bit odd.
'86 Vmax, '83 ZN1300, '78 GL1000, '75 CB750 K5, '78 F4

Offline Gene

• Master
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 11:46:57 am »
Grey smoke maybe - it was dark - was getting a lot of fuel getting past the cylinder and exploding in the pipes since it wasn't combusting in the cylinders.

Again, once the cover was off everything seemed better. Having a look this weekend.
*1973 CB750K3 (Bow)

Offline Nurse Julie

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 04:38:32 am »
It sounds like the whack to the points cover has moved it inwards just by a bit and a set of sparks is shorting. Someone here in UK had a similar problem recently, the grey insulating paint stuff on the inside of the points cover had been removed for some reason and a set of sparks were going astray giving symptoms same as yours. They fitted a new cover... Problem solved instantly.
Trust me I'm a Nurse, I promise it won't hurt....much

Offline Gene

• Master
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 10:42:43 am »
That's my hope, Nurse Julie. And having taken the cover off and getting the further 10 miles homes tells me that's probably the case.

Dangerous business to go running around without a point cover on, so that and a few other things on order.

Doesn't look like there's any wobble on the shaft. Need to get down close and look at the wiring, but my gut tells me it was just shorting out.

Waiting on parts and I'll update/close.
*1973 CB750K3 (Bow)

Offline Gene

• Master
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 12:55:01 pm »
Ok - no damage to the points or condensers, no bangs on the area around them. Hiccupping was cause by the initial problem with the bent-in cover f*ckin with the points, subsequent hiccups were nothing but fouled plugs from the first problem. New cover, re-set points, checked timing, replaced plugs, no wobble on the shaft. All is well, back to normal.

Just make sure I don't do it again. ;D

Thanks everybody.
*1973 CB750K3 (Bow)