Author Topic: Small Debris in bottom of Crankcase- Need to Split Case?  (Read 445 times)

Offline McLovin750

Small Debris in bottom of Crankcase- Need to Split Case?
« on: March 09, 2020, 10:17:12 am »
In the process of regasketing/rebuilding the top end on my 77 750F. After removing the cylinder, I found that the upper plastic guide wheel on the cam chain tensioner had been chewed up. Obviously from 43 years of service it had gotten brittle and some pieces must have fell off into the bottom of the crankcase. Also, I made a rookie mistake when chasing the cylinder stud threads in preparation for APE studs. Not realizing the front two stud holes are not blind, i pushed some shavings down into the crankcase. I used solvent and compressed air to push any that I could see out of the case through the drain plug. I know that these are a dry sump motor but what are the chances that any possible leftover debris could cause issues? Is splitting the case to make sure they are spotless inevitable here?

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: Small Debris in bottom of Crankcase- Need to Split Case?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 01:02:13 pm »
Eh. Doubt its necessary. You could fill the lower case with diesel fuel, then open the oil drain plug. Then remove the oil pan for certainty. Probably plenty of prevention. Or just let it go as you've done.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
Re: Small Debris in bottom of Crankcase- Need to Split Case?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 01:50:24 pm »
I’d run 100 miles then drop the pan and check the screen on the pump. Oil and filter change. You should be fine.