Author Topic: Am I doing this right?  (Read 603 times)

Offline Pielz

• Hot Shot
Am I doing this right?
« on: March 03, 2020, 08:05:24 pm »
K7 750

Just got these highway bars, just wanted to ask a few of you guys if this is the proper way they mount

As you can see, on the left side, it covers the one mounting bolt so it can't be reinserted. Will that be an issue?

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: Am I doing this right?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 08:44:29 pm »
Dont ride it without all engine mount bolts!  Remove the bars, why do you want those ugly things?!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Pielz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 08:49:05 pm »
Dont ride it without all engine mount bolts!  Remove the bars, why do you want those ugly things?!
Lol, it's my first bike and I've spent so much time and energy resurrecting it (not to mention $$) that if I drop it I'd like it to be a little protected. I'm also very attached to this bike. Maybe I'll remove them when I become a more confident rider.

I wasn't sure if maybe someone who has bars like this could chime in and tell me what to do. Or if they're even on properly haha

I guess if it's really serious I could maybe drill a hole for that bolt to go back through
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:51:50 pm by Pielz »

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 08:57:45 pm »
Pielz...... Looks right, but drill it and put a bolt in......

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 08:58:37 pm »
Can you re-position the bar mount to one of the forward bolts? Is the top of the bar mounted using U-bolts? If so, be Very careful when tightening them, as they can crush the frame tubes. 
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Pielz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 09:31:39 pm »
Pielz...... Looks right, but drill it and put a bolt in......
Gotcha I'll do that!

Offline Pielz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 09:34:15 pm »
Can you re-position the bar mount to one of the forward bolts? Is the top of the bar mounted using U-bolts? If so, be Very careful when tightening them, as they can crush the frame tubes.
Unfortunately I can't. It has to be there as the whole setup is very rigid and doesn't allow for much flexing. I guess I'll just drill it!

Also, they do use U bolts. I'll be sure to make sure I don't over tighten them. Thank you for the heads up. Not sure if I would have considered that a possibility without you mentioning it.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 09:35:27 pm »
Dont have to drill anything...just use a spacer slightly thicker than the boltheads holding the mount to the frame, on the engine case bolt. If it's not long enough get a longer bolt.
 It's simple really.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 09:36:50 pm »
The u bolts crush the frame easily and often. See if there is room for a shim up there to help so read the load.
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Pielz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 09:38:04 pm »
Dont have to drill anything...just use a spacer slightly thicker than the boltheads holding the mount to the frame, on the engine case bolt. If it's not long enough get a longer bolt.
 It's simple really.
So it has these metal arms that stick out that are very rigid, about 1/4 inch steel, and just as wide as necessary. There's not really a whole lot of play. Plus the way the u-bolts mount at the top it basically has to be centered unless I went with pipe strapping or something which has some maneuverability.

Offline Pielz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 09:39:12 pm »
The u bolts crush the frame easily and often. See if there is room for a shim up there to help so read the load.
You think a piece of hard/thick rubber would do the trick? Or something a little beefier?

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 09:46:43 pm »
Those arms going up to the front engine mounts, will bend out a 1/4  easy, try a pry bar against motor mount. If crash  bat is off hit it with a soft hammer or 2x4.
 Use metal under the u bolts if it fits , aluminium is easy to cut, and gend, and won't rust.
 I always take the crash bars off. Sometimes if they have mounts for pegs they can be handy on a long ride.
dodogas99@gmail.com