Author Topic: Ignitech ignition...using quickshifter/TPS/IAPS ?  (Read 1577 times)

Offline CR750

• Enthusiast
Ignitech ignition...using quickshifter/TPS/IAPS ?
« on: February 27, 2020, 11:22:03 am »
Hi guys,

implementing an ignitech ignition on my endurance oriented cb750 racebike. For those of you who don't know this ignition; https://www.ignitech.cz/cz/

For those of you who know it/using it/know people who use it;

It is quite versatile and beside the basics ( being completely programmable ) it also has options for all kind of inputs ( like TPS, IAPS and quickshifter sensor ). Is anybody actually using these functions on their carbed bike ?

I'd like to know some first hand experiences if any are there.

Also I think it is possible to switch maps by a simple switch, and (just a brainfart ) I was contemplating if it is an option therefore to implement a switch to include or exclude these functions ( switch from one map to the other..one where inputs are used from both sensors one where they are ignored...) So basically sensor hardware/wiring stays in place and connected but is ignored Vs used.

Heads-up;
Just playing around with some crazy ideas, not necessarily implementing them ( probably not even allowed / have to check ) but still find it interesting to ping-pong this idea around with you :D.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:25:07 am by cr750 »
W r e n c h  ·  R i d e  ·  R e p e a t

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
Re: Ignitech ignition...using quickshifter/TPS/IAPS ?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 11:46:56 am »
none of this allowed in european classic endurance AFAIK

Offline teebee67

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 12:01:13 pm »
Quick shifters not allowed for UK classic racing but stop buttons are. I wired the Ignitech quick shift output through a handlebar stop button and used that. Worked perfectly (I set it to cut the engine for 0.02 of a second and to ignore secondary triggers for 0.5 of a second).

If you set the programmable ignition up spot on I am not sure why you would need to have switchable programs.
I'm only old on the outside.

Offline CR750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 12:09:44 pm »
Probably TG, hence my reference in the opening post.

(Although I believe most forbid quickshifters, but I don't read anything on ignition/feedback  (other then no efi and no stick coils ) in most rulebooks.)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:31:18 pm by cr750 »

Offline CR750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 12:14:42 pm »
Haha ;D nice workaround. Tebee, did you not get into trouble with that approach ?
I read some vintage Ducati on the ww ( can't remember) using a similair approach.
Feels a bit like the mercedes F1trick from the moment.... they seem to get away with it as well, according to latest from FIA.

Ps. I think you meant input ?

No experience with the TPS i assume ?

The switch thing was more of a hypothetical convenient way to swap between compliant en non-compliant ( although obviously tech would not believe you will not swap it again, even when sealed...I know ;D )

But like stated, let's probably forget 'real' quickshifters for period racing, but let's continue in the light of general interest on the possibility of this ignition system feedback for sohc bikes ( don't see it blocked by fim eec/ec series rules ... if I read them correctly ?)

Curious if any other sohc has exprience with it... I only know of Captain and his dohc with TPS implemented ?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:46:18 pm by cr750 »

Offline teebee67

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 01:54:41 am »
Back in the day lots of riders used the stop button to change gear with the throttle still wide open. Problem was iffy contact causing multiple cutting of the ignition. Using the Ignitech to cut the ignition for an excact predetermined time and ignoring any further operation for a predetermined time solves this. If I remeber correctly I used connection 8 through the kill switch to ground.
I'm only old on the outside.

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 04:05:10 am »
I used a system from a mob called Klicktronic from the UK.
Quick shifters and tps are not sanctioned for historic racing in Australia, but Motorcycling Australia gave me an exemption after my accident in 2011.
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 12:58:40 pm »
Doesn't Captain use TPS on his CB900 race bike?
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline CR750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 01:34:31 pm »
Believe so, saw him commenting very positive somewhere on 3d mapping.
He's obviously spending huge amounts (energy and dollars) to get every last little bit from his engine.
I don't believe the TPS for my current skill set and current bike tuning will make the difference anyway..but I just like to tinker with new toys ;-)
So I decided I am ordering the parts anyway ( sensors are relatively little extra ) so I can play with it and implement if I want to (and am allowed).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 02:41:56 pm by cr750 »

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 01:11:48 am »
I'm using the ignitek as well, but without TPS or any other trick as it's not allowed by regulation; but nice idea on the quickshift workaround :-)

It's not possible to change maps whit a switch, you need to connect the ignition to a PC...

Offline CR750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 07:12:38 am »
I am pretty sure it IS possible tot change between 2 maps with a manual switch, as I found it in the manual and Ignitech also confirmed to me by email in the meantime, so I am pretty sure ( latest version tcip4 96 I am talking about - don't know if older versions also support it)

Of course these two maps have to be programmed beforehand by pc..

But what I was wondering about/asking ... is if with switching the maps, the quickshifter and TPS input can be in excluded ( as in..that the two different maps can be made to in and exclude these signals )

I am still waiting for confirmation on that/or I will find out with items in hand.
It could be that things like sensor inputs etc are global parameters (and thereby fixed in on/off state), and only the ignition maps are influenced with the manual switch (if you ever programmed code you know what I mean).
We'll see. Keep you posted.

The next month I will try to find some time to start a build thread on this bike ( getting closer to being able to actually start the build, enough parts will be there to start ).
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 08:28:36 am by cr750 »