Author Topic: Steering Lock removal  (Read 889 times)

Offline Register

• Enthusiast
Steering Lock removal
« on: March 08, 2020, 11:34:27 pm »
I need some advice on the best way to remove the steering lock please.

Its off the bike but I do not have the key.

Thanks

Online bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Re: Steering Lock removal
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 01:22:24 am »
If you dont have the key you will have to drill it out
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline pjlogue

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 02:00:07 am »
What bike?  Year and model?  If the fork is unlocked and it is an early bike (lock under steering head) taking the cover off, the lock should drop out.

-P. 

Online bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 05:12:28 am »
Not without the key to turn it it wont
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline pjlogue

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 06:05:41 am »
Not without the key to turn it it wont

On the early bikes where the steering lock is under the neck, the lock core has to come out one way or the other and it most certainly won't come out if it's in the lock position.  The roll pin in the side of the cylinder is what keeps the cylinder from coming out when the head is locked.  When unlocked, the roll pin is in line with the wafer stack and should just slide out of the head once the cap is removed. 

-P.

Online bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 06:19:29 am »
You put the key in then turn it before you can push it in, turn it back and remove key.
The pin stops the lock moving in or out when it is fully in(steering locked) or fully out (steering free)

Offline pjlogue

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 07:05:00 am »
You put the key in then turn it before you can push it in, turn it back and remove key.
The pin stops the lock moving in or out when it is fully in(steering locked) or fully out (steering free)

Thanks for the correction and explanation.  I don't think I have locked the steering on my bike since I restored it and obviously forgot how it worked.  LOL.

-P.

Online bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 07:55:43 am »
Made no difference on my 500, the local scroats still stole it!