Author Topic: New owner questions  (Read 1098 times)

Offline awolfe

New owner questions
« on: March 11, 2020, 08:05:07 am »
I've previously owned two K3's.  Kinda know my way around the early 750's.  Bought a 1978 750A for my son cause it was available for a reasonable price and everything else around here is inflated right now.  There's a few things that have me thrown for a loop. 

1.  went to change air filter and the bottom does not come off the same way as the early 750's.
2.  Why the hell is the battery so big?
3.  What the hell is up with the kickstart pedal?  I thought the previous owner had simply removed it, but I've noticed a) it's moved to the left side of bike as compared to the k's  b) it's position is in conflict with the footpeg  c) did Honda intend for the rider to simply carry the pedal and use it when the electric start failed?  If so, where are you supposed to stow it? 
4.  I'm missing rear signals.  With the A's only being made for 3 years, it's hard to find original signals.  Anyone know if Honda used the same signal on the 78 k models or perhaps a Goldwing of that year?   

Offline sammon287

Re: New owner questions
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 07:53:36 pm »
  I bought mine in 2003 and it's been off the road for years, but it's down to the home stretch after a drawn out engine rebuild. I can only knowledgeably answer #3. The foot peg folds up to clear the kick start lever. The lever is intended to be used as a backup only and is stored under the seat. The splined hole slides onto a frame peg and a rubber strap retains it. There is a rubber cover for the kick start shaft that I imagine is missing from many surviving bikes. I have one and it's in good shape, but I'm a little concerned it will fall off while riding and is probably hard to replace. Mine is a '76 and some of the parts are one year only, as the '77-'78 differ in some ways. You will have a little easier time with a '78.
  I think the battery is bigger because it has to get more moving parts spinning at start-up then a regular bike with the clutch disengaged.
1976 CB750A

Offline raymond10078

• Expert
  • Just learnin' as I go . . . .
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 12:11:18 pm »
I suggest you download an Owner's Manual from this site.

Air Filter maintenance is on page 57.

Kickstart pedal storage on page 20.

Kickstart use on page 21.

The battery delivers more current as more moving parts must be spun-up; namely the torque converter, the gears/clutch packs, and the extra oil pump.

1978 CB750A (upgrading very, very slowly)

Past bikes - Honda: SL350, CX650C, CB900C, CB1000C, CM450A; Kawasaki: several 1972 750 H2's; Suzuki: TC90J.

Bikes I want: CX650ED, a mid-sized japanese V-twin with ABS.

Offline jukku

• Enthusiast
  • Happy with my Hondamatic
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 12:49:55 pm »
I suggest you download an Owner's Manual and Service Manual from this site http://manuals.sohc4.net/cb750a/