Author Topic: M unit input/output grounding question  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Blakesblakey

M unit input/output grounding question
« on: April 15, 2020, 03:21:46 pm »
I have my wiring diagram figured out and found on other posts here to use expandable sheathing and heat shrink tubing for the harness.  My question is what do you guys do for grounding of all the inputs/outputs? From what I see on other installs I don't see many grounds in the under seat tray (which I'll be using to fit the m-unit, r/r, starter solenoid, and shorai battery).  Any pointers/pictures?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 03:23:39 pm by Blakesblakey »

Offline Jnel

• Hot Shot

Offline Jnel

• Hot Shot
Re: M unit input/output grounding question
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 05:30:54 pm »

Offline Blakesblakey

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 06:17:06 pm »
This too.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=181650.msg2106060.msg#2106060

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That's a start thank you! The thing I'm struggling with is finding a decent ground block.. I saw you machined one but I don't have the tools (yet) for that.  I'm thinking of mounting a block with nut rivets to the frame by the coils in the free space between the tank.  Is that a good location or is there better? For the rear ground block I'm still not sure where to mount that,. That under seat tray will be tight with everything in it so I'm trying to limit wires.  I'm assuming if you tap into the main frame that you don't need to run a direct wire to the main ground on the motor mount?  I'm new to DC systems and coming from AC not having direct grounds is messing me up  ;D any areas I should avoid drilling/riveting into the frame structural wise?

Offline river

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 08:33:57 am »
I've seen several people do some sort of grounding strip such as jnel made. Cal was very instrumental in helping me work through my project so I ended up following his suggestion. I drilled into the backbone of the frame (in the tunnel area under the tank) on both sides. Then I installed rivnuts. I bundled all grounds together and ended them right there on both sides. It worked out beautifully. Any grounds from the back of the bike were grounded using the same technique but the location was under the seat and on the frame rail directly below the tool tray (bottom side of that tube I believe) and behind the side cover.
Squirrel 1.0 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,127186.2050.
ml

Squirrel 2.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,176846.msg2055831.html#msg2055831

Squirrel 3.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,185362.msg2146449.html#msg2146449

"You wouldn't think that out here...a man could simply run clear...out of country but oh my...oh my...nothing but the light." -Ben Nichols

Offline Blakesblakey

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 07:43:51 am »
I've seen several people do some sort of grounding strip such as jnel made. Cal was very instrumental in helping me work through my project so I ended up following his suggestion. I drilled into the backbone of the frame (in the tunnel area under the tank) on both sides. Then I installed rivnuts. I bundled all grounds together and ended them right there on both sides. It worked out beautifully. Any grounds from the back of the bike were grounded using the same technique but the location was under the seat and on the frame rail directly below the tool tray (bottom side of that tube I believe) and behind the side cover.

That’s a great idea thank you!

Offline Frosty

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 03:02:19 pm »