Author Topic: Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials 2020  (Read 1318 times)

Offline richmagee7

• Enthusiast
Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials 2020
« on: April 28, 2020, 03:14:02 pm »
As of today, Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials 2020 has been cancelled.  Totally bummed.  I mean, really bummed.  Mike Rieck put together an amazing head for my 71 CB500.  The last few years I have only run my Stock 750.  Was looking forward to what I could put together for the modified classic class.  Well, I'll get the bike ready anyway.  Maybe I can run the Texas mile in October, then wait for 2021.

Heck, I might still go to Bonneville in August anyway, I love the place.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials 2020
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 03:50:18 pm »
Rich, every mans bucket list is to say they have run at Bonneville, forget it mate, run it on the Standing mile.
My motor was built by Mike and I would dearly have loved to see what it would do flat out instead of on the drag strip but Bonneville is not the place to do it.
Racing at Bonneville is no more than bragging rites down the pub.
Claiming you hold a land speed record is much better than have raced at Bonneville.
Good luck mate.

Sam.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 04:33:13 pm »
Yes but setting a record at Bonneville is hard to eclipse.. just ask Old Scrambler, or the local guys from here that set records on the salt.,

If they keep this up , there will be almost no events this year. .  I think it's a bit premature for an event in late August.
 I think things will look different by the end of May..
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 04:35:29 pm by 754 »
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 04:54:07 pm »
Hey Rich....hope all is well with you.  It has been a sad year, many events that I have wanted to go have been cancelled [Moto GP, IndyCar, Car shows, etc]
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 05:16:11 pm »
Bummer....... just got an email today that the Cobble Beach Concours is cancelled for 2020. I’d never been to it before, but was invited to take my K0, last year (we won). This year was “Italian Bikes” and I was hoping to take my Benelli SEI........

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 05:39:34 pm »
This sucks Rich. I know Dennis had an Alaska trip planned this year instead but he was thinking if that got cancelled he would run. I would have loved to hang out with you guys again. Next year, sigh.....

Sam is kinda right... bragging rights at the pub but Frank is more right.. bragging rights about holding world records. You can say you ran The Salt or you can say you hold 4 AMA/FIM world records at The Salt on a 750 Honda. Or 550 or other SOHC4's.

Sam, we need to get your bike out there! Frank talks about attending. I'd love to get Bill there as well as all the other racers. Those 3 or 5 miles flat out last a lot longer than a 1/4 mile. And you do NOT get eliminated by another competitor. I love both events!   
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 06:55:29 pm »
The speeds at Bonneville mean more, every other track it is easier to hit the same number. .
 If your bike can clock a accurate 204mph near sea level , it won't break 200 at Bonneville with same  state of tune.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 08:12:25 pm »
I would dearly have loved to see what it would do flat out instead of on the drag strip but Bonneville is not the place to do it.
Racing at Bonneville is no more than bragging rites down the pub.
Claiming you hold a land speed record is much better than have raced at Bonneville.
Good luck mate.

Sam, what is wrong with a land speed record at Bonneville? Is it the length of the course that bothers you? A standing mile is more a one mile drag race, after all, and it's still just bragging rights at the pub.  ;)
Any word about when or if El Mirage will happen?

« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 08:17:24 pm by scottly »
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline TjTalan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 11:19:47 pm »
Not trying to hijack the thread. Just a little lost with classing a 750. I’m building my project for a speed run. El Marage is a home track of sorts, so I started with the SCTA rulebook. The 750 does not fit well against modern machines. Are these AMA classes you guys are running in, if so are places like the Texas mile sanctioned events?

I’ll be frank, I’m lost in a lot of info, looking for direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My dream bike.

Offline richmagee7

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 05:43:38 am »
Steve,
Also the Handbuilt Motorcycle show in Austin, the Texas Fandango in Fredericksburg, and the Lone Star Roundup, all canceled in April along with MotoGP.   And the cool little show in early May at Pecan Grove Store no longer on calendar.

Sam,
I appreciate the well wishes and all your experience.  But I'm telling you, just standing out on the salt in that beautiful place and listening to those bikes run is an incredible experience.   I just WISH my number one plate from the AMA could get me a beer somewhere.  I might try the TX mile as a shakedown for the bike, see if I can destroy all Mike's hard work.

TJ,
I sent a reply to your message.  Yes, AMA recognizes classic classes for pre -1981 bikes.  You can download the rules and records from Bonnevillespeedtrials.com or just google BMST.

Maybe speed week will happen, I already feel lost about having nowhere to go in August.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 07:59:47 am »
As of today, Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials 2020 has been cancelled.  Totally bummed.  I mean, really bummed.  Mike Rieck put together an amazing head for my 71 CB500.  The last few years I have only run my Stock 750.  Was looking forward to what I could put together for the modified classic class.  Well, I'll get the bike ready anyway.  Maybe I can run the Texas mile in October, then wait for 2021.

Heck, I might still go to Bonneville in August anyway, I love the place.
I was wondering about this the other day Rich. It sucks. :(
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 08:56:36 am »
Many racing organizations seem to be in a similar boat.  To run an event, there are lots of expenses.  Often the main one is booking the venue well in advance.  It’s a MAJOR cash outlay, and must be cancelled(or not booked) well in advance or the money is gone, regardless if the race or event can happen or not.  If the event is cancelled, or severely under attended, the organization needs to absorb a huge cost with little to no return.

Most of these racing organizations are essentially or actually non profit, with volunteers running things with barely enough financial resources to break even on a good year.  Some are more financially secure than others.

Take a typical small vintage road racing organization that runs 4 or so races per year.  It costs a pile of money to book a track well in advance.  Many tens of thousands of dollars per track.  Say they book all 4 races, and all end up getting cancelled.  The grass roots racing organization is likely to be out well over $100,000.  That is a death sentence to many. 

It’s far safer to be cautious now and not risk financial suicide as an organization.  Some are taking risks and are being hopeful there might be events at the tail end of summer/fall.

George

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 10:51:24 am »
George is addressing part of the event problem during this Covid-19 outbreak..........think of putting yourself into a travel situation at an affordable hotel in a small community......or think about the volunteers that basically 'run' the event; would you be able to conduct safe and precise instructions via radio-communication while wearing a mask? I belong to a motorcycle club in Wisconsin that has hosted a hill-climb event on Father's Day for 36 years. Success depends on attracting a paid-attendance of 2000 or so and crowding them into a half-acre while selling food and beverages from a concession stand. I don't think its going to happen this year. Here in Idaho the State will open up tomorrow into the first of 4-stages to hopefully protect our health while slowly returning to a somewhat normal economy. We can leave our homes but have to wear masks. All visitors entering the state are still required to self-quarantine for 14-days. That means truck-drivers and the like stay in the cab while locals load or unload.

Personally, I am sorry the 2020-BMST event has been cancelled but my plan remains to be ready for 2021. I have acquired a new RE Himalayan and hopefully will be riding in Alaska. We 'bikers' have been practicing social-distancing for most of our lives. Enjoy the ride :) :) :) :)
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan