Author Topic: Solenoid Wiring - how to?  (Read 448 times)

Offline JWB

• Enthusiast
Solenoid Wiring - how to?
« on: April 30, 2020, 02:50:28 pm »
Working on my first project, 1974 CB550.  The bike came with the wiring in a big mess so I am starting from scratch.  I have a new main harness, wiring diagram and other missing parts and now beginning the process of assembling.  Figured I would start at the battery and work from there.  The starter solenoid existed but not connected to anything except the Y/R and Gr/R wires.  Those two wires look like they were patched in, so not even sure that is where they go. 
Questions
1. Does this look like a proper solenoid?
2. Which side is +/-  Y/R or Gr/R wires?
3. Assuming the solenoid is the correct one, how do I test it?

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Re: Solenoid Wiring - how to?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 04:33:02 pm »
Solenoid looks ok. Disconnect from loom and connect one small wire to each pole of battery and it should give a heafty click, if so chances are it is good.
The wires are not +ve or =ve depends on year of your bike and wiring system like
1 is headlamp on all time except when starter pushed
2 has it got the starter safety interlock circuit
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline JWB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 04:45:51 pm »
The headlight is not connected at this point.  I connected the new main harness to all the wires that I could match.  I have a new battery and ready to start figuring out what works and what doesn't. It looks like the rest of the components are there.

Offline JWB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 04:59:45 pm »
Using a pair of jumper cables and the solenoid disconnect I hooked each poll directory to each solenoid pole and nothing, no click.  Guess my next step is to order a new solenoid.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 01:21:37 am »
NO i said connect the SMALL wires to the battery NOT the big poles.
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline JWB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 05:08:24 am »
Well that makes a difference, I guess I should read replies more closely.  Thanks, it works fine.