Author Topic: Cb550 rebuild! (And possibly stock parts to sell cheap?)  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Jaroldoe10

Cb550 rebuild! (And possibly stock parts to sell cheap?)
« on: May 27, 2020, 01:42:37 pm »
Hello gentlemen I'm looking to get some help I'm putting together a CB550 I received the engine in pieces the bottom half is still together the top-end is totally ripped apart the valve are still in the head I was told that the engine was pulled apart so that they could clean the outside in that it ran perfectly well the inside looks immaculate and what I was told that it has less than three thousand miles on it so I just bought a composite gasket it came with other gasket pieces not sure if it's all there in any case what would be my first step the gasket surfaces are cleaned I'd like to eventually put pods on this and my end result should be a chopper so I'll be in the market for a frame that fits this engine it also came with a spare engine it is a 76. Also does anybody know how to figure out if it's a f or k model? Any suggestions on the rebuild carb kit and what I should set it for with a pod setup. Let me know if you need parts as I have a basically spare complete bike that I would be willing to sell from
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 05:02:33 pm by Jaroldoe10 »

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Cb550 rebuild
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 04:47:16 pm »
 Holy crap.... punctuation is your friend.

Most gasket kits have what you need for a top end. Get a good manual to follow for reassembly.

The VIN on the frame and the engine numbers will tell you if it's an F or a K model. The engines are the same; there are visual clues on the frame as well, but I can't tell from those pics.

Read the pods sticky.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Jaroldoe10

Re: Cb550 rebuild
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 05:01:39 pm »
Scott, thanks for your reply. I must admit I laughed at your punctuation remark! And... I will be sure to include them because I see what you mean upon reading over that mangalated mess of words I call a "paragraph". What do "stickies" refer to in mentioning " pod sticky". Would you recommend doing valve lap, hone, piston rings, etc,etc... If the motor ran fine before dismantle? I honestly would like to put it together as everything looks very new. What would be the indicator for the engine serial? If I snap a pic of the side cover would you be able to know. I'm not around the bike right now but I would feel sheepish is the side cover actually has a "F" or "K" stamped on it. Thanks!

Offline Jaroldoe10

Re: Cb550 rebuild! (And possibly stock parts to sell cheap?)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 05:03:38 pm »
VIN

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 05:26:57 pm »
Pods sticky:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,182280.0.html

Model guide:

http://www.sohc4.net/cb550-model-guide

Looks like the frame is a 1976 K model. The engine number is stamped on a pad on the engine case, RH side above the clutch cover. The same guide above will tell you what year the engine is as well.
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 10:45:59 pm »
You dont need carb kits just the O rings and maybe gasket, there are numbers on the flange of one carb to tell you what they are, good luck with pods
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline Jaroldoe10

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 03:19:32 am »
Scott and Brian, again thanks for the post. Is there at least an alternative to pods that work? I can't imagine a chopper work an airbox stocking out unless I get really creative. Scott, thanks for the VIN help. I'm going to check out the engine serial now.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 03:31:57 am »
You can get pods to run just nicely all the way through the rev range, you have to decide where you want to be and tune for that
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline Jaroldoe10

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 03:45:39 am »
Ok, thanks, I'm sure I will be able to tackle that in due time. I appreciate it. I saw a 4 into 1 filter. Like the picture posted.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 05:30:24 am »
I really ought to proof read my posts, that was supposed to be you CANT get pods to run nicely all the way through, you have to pick where you want it right and live with the rest

Offline Jaroldoe10

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 06:09:29 am »
Ahh I see. No worries thought, thanks for the advice. Well I'm open to anything that doesn't look like a black plastic trash price under my seat. Maybe someone makes a custom airbox?

Offline Jaroldoe10

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 08:27:29 pm »
My head looks like it may have some Knicks in it. Is this ok? I'm going with a composite gasket. The guy who pulled it apart literally told me " I forgot how to put it together" do these look really bad? If so what do I do to fix it?

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 03:08:59 am »
 We need better pics.
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Jaroldoe10

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 05:50:56 am »
I'll see what I can do... These phones don't always do justice

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 06:40:00 am »
I'll see what I can do... These phones don't always do justice
Try using some auxiliary lighting
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Tom C

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 06:55:21 am »
Here's a little story I like to tell regarding pod filters v OEM airboxes :

A few years ago I was taking care of work friends' 93 Ducati 900 Supersport - a beautiful bike.  He had bought it just before leaving for Asia on a multiyear expat assignment.  I got her running and took her out for a ride where I discovered a giant flat spot in performance at full throttle.  I wasn't comfortable messing around with a Ducati or carbs at the time and with no Ducati dealers nearby, I went to the the local powersports dealer for help.  The girl behind the counter told me they don't work on Ducatis, but added "My dad works on old motorcycles, but I'm not sure that yours is old enough".  She gave me his name and number, I called him up and told him about the bike, he agreed to take a look. 

I rode the bike over to Joel's house and waited for him to arrive, which he soon did riding an old Vespa.  We chated for a bit outside, he agreed to work on the bike, then he opened his garage door, revealing the largest collection I have ever seen of vintage motorcycles: all makes, models and sizes.  It turns out that Joel is the retired founder and owner of the powersports dealer I had visted, which happens to be the largest in Delaware, and Joel is an avid collector or motorcycles.  He has a side business (http://www.retrotours.com) in which he organizes tours which you ride on his vintage bikes.   

Anyway, Joel keeps the bike for a week or so and when I get back in touch with him, he explains that a previous owner had removed the stock airbox, replacing it with K&N pods.  The PO had not rejetted the carbs afterwards, as a result the bike ran lean at full throttle, which explained the lack of power I had felt.

Joel said that he certainly could rejet the carbs to restore the power at full throttle, but he suggested another course of action.  Pods are great if you are expert rider racing on a track and you need the last bit of horsepower at high rpms.  But if you want a bike that runs well throughout the rpm range, find and reinstall an OEM airbox, which on the Ducati 900 SS, in addition to being expertly designed to maximize overall performance, is a work of art. 

I was able to find a used airbox from a guy who specializes in building high performance Ducatis for racing.  Joel installed it, after which the bike was an absolute dream to ride!   I wish she was still in my garage but my buddy's brother came up from Atlanta a few months later and rode her away.....

Long story short, while the OEM airbox/filter assembly on the CB550 is perhaps not as aesthetically pleasing as you might want, you will lose something in terms of rideabily and performance throughout the rpm range of the bike if you decide to go with pods.   

Good luck with the rebuild!  I'm in the midst of my own CB550 rebuild. 

74 CB550K0

Offline Jaroldoe10

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 07:03:18 am »
Thank you sir, I am thinking hard into how I can button up the airbox to make it look nice. Maybe paint or a custom covering....

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 08:02:25 am »
Here's a little story I like to tell regarding pod filters v OEM airboxes :

A few years ago I was taking care of work friends' 93 Ducati 900 Supersport - a beautiful bike.  He had bought it just before leaving for Asia on a multiyear expat assignment.  I got her running and took her out for a ride where I discovered a giant flat spot in performance at full throttle.  I wasn't comfortable messing around with a Ducati or carbs at the time and with no Ducati dealers nearby, I went to the the local powersports dealer for help.  The girl behind the counter told me they don't work on Ducatis, but added "My dad works on old motorcycles, but I'm not sure that yours is old enough".  She gave me his name and number, I called him up and told him about the bike, he agreed to take a look. 

I rode the bike over to Joel's house and waited for him to arrive, which he soon did riding an old Vespa.  We chated for a bit outside, he agreed to work on the bike, then he opened his garage door, revealing the largest collection I have ever seen of vintage motorcycles: all makes, models and sizes.  It turns out that Joel is the retired founder and owner of the powersports dealer I had visted, which happens to be the largest in Delaware, and Joel is an avid collector or motorcycles.  He has a side business (http://www.retrotours.com) in which he organizes tours which you ride on his vintage bikes.   

Anyway, Joel keeps the bike for a week or so and when I get back in touch with him, he explains that a previous owner had removed the stock airbox, replacing it with K&N pods.  The PO had not rejetted the carbs afterwards, as a result the bike ran lean at full throttle, which explained the lack of power I had felt.

Joel said that he certainly could rejet the carbs to restore the power at full throttle, but he suggested another course of action.  Pods are great if you are expert rider racing on a track and you need the last bit of horsepower at high rpms.  But if you want a bike that runs well throughout the rpm range, find and reinstall an OEM airbox, which on the Ducati 900 SS, in addition to being expertly designed to maximize overall performance, is a work of art. 

I was able to find a used airbox from a guy who specializes in building high performance Ducatis for racing.  Joel installed it, after which the bike was an absolute dream to ride!   I wish she was still in my garage but my buddy's brother came up from Atlanta a few months later and rode her away.....

Long story short, while the OEM airbox/filter assembly on the CB550 is perhaps not as aesthetically pleasing as you might want, you will lose something in terms of rideabily and performance throughout the rpm range of the bike if you decide to go with pods.   

Good luck with the rebuild!  I'm in the midst of my own CB550 rebuild.

Please add this to the pods sticky at the top of the page. I could copy/paste it, but I prefer for the original author to post it when possible.
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Tom C

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2020, 04:09:57 am »
Scott, I added my pods v airbox story to the sticky. 
Thanks for asking!
74 CB550K0

Offline Jaroldoe10

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2020, 01:26:52 pm »
I do not have my engine pictures yet but just wondering if anyone had any thoughts to my original post about needing the engine rebuilt. How far should I go. The title said 2,500 miles and I believe every bit of it as the internals look almost like they were from the factory with little wear and tear. Guy who sold it said "I forgot how to put it back together" I was shocked that someone would pull apart a motor on a whim. Anyways, as he was scratching the gasket it marked in spots. I really don't want to mill it if I don't have to. The head looks really good over all. I hope that I can just price it back together and it be fine. Seriously sucks that it is even marked since the engine is in such pristine condition everywhere else.