Author Topic: CB550 Rebuild Charging Issue  (Read 843 times)

Offline PatrickZ

CB550 Rebuild Charging Issue
« on: May 25, 2020, 02:38:44 pm »
Hey there good people of SOHC!

I wanted to pick your collective brain power on corrective actions for my new CB550 Rebuild into a sweet (yet unfortunately not yet well functioning) cafe racer. Bike was a 1975 CB550E, and I'm aware of their marginal charging system.

The Bike mods:
  • Replaced reg/rec with Rick's combined solid state unit 14_100 for lithium batteries
  • New lithium battery AGM, 29WH (2.4 Ah) capacity
  • Lights replaced with LEDs
  • Installed motogadget mblue unit, mostly new harnesses
  • Existing alternator
  • Dyna 3ohm coils

Symptoms:
Bike dies after 20-30 min of city riding (stop / go), 30-40 min of highway riding (at higher rpms). I wired in a voltmeter LED while riding, and even while rev'ing above3-4K RPM, I observe the following: I can maintain 12-13v in the first 10 min, then 11.9-12.8v in next 10 min, and then 10.5 - 12.2v even at high RPM, then the bike dies.

Testing:
I ran a modified version of TwoTired's test (accounting for my mods). My rested battery measured 12.5v (2 hours uncharged). With LED lights off, I ran RPM & voltage test:
Bike on 12.5
Idle 12.3
2500 13v
3000 13.1v
4000 13.3v
5000 13.4v

I should be seeing voltages >14v at 4000+ RPM but I'm not.

Reg / Rec
Could not do diode test. White/Green resistance confirmed at 4.9 ohms.

Alternator
Visual inspection seems OK. White/Green resistance at 5.0 ohms. 3 yellow wires resistance at 0.9-1ohm. This is higher than 0.35 specified by manual, but I'm also doing it with an extra foot of harness in there because I'm measuring it up by the reg/rec.

Hypothesis:
The demand on the electrical system is higher than the supply can accommodate, even at higher RPMs. The primary cause is likely the 3 ohm coils, which I should probably replace with 5 ohm coils. Alternatively, or as a contributor, the R/R could be set at too low a limit and clipping the voltage at <13.5V. Finally, I could have some wear in the alternator or its connections that are contributing by reducing its function.

My questions to the group are:
  • Could the alternator be contributing given its higher resistance? Or is that resistance increase too minor? 
  • Is the rectifier limiting the charging at too low a voltage and causing this issue? Why am I not getting 14V at 4000 RPM? 
  • Or is it truly the coils primarily that are the issue?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Patrick

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: CB550 Rebuild Charging Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 02:53:20 pm »
Disconnect the white field wire from the regulator and measure the resistance from the wire to the battery negative terminal.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline PatrickZ

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 04:21:20 pm »
I'm getting 0L / open circuit between the field coil side of the white wire and battery negative terminal.

Getting 107 kohms from RR side of the white wire to battery negative terminal.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 04:34:56 pm by PatrickZ »

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 04:45:23 pm »
I'm getting 0L / open circuit between the field coil side of the white wire and battery negative terminal.

This is a common mistake with custom wiring. On the stock wiring harness, all solid green wires are connected to ground (batttery negative). Rick's has a diagram that shows the green reg wire tied to the field green wire, not to ground. You should read the same 5 ohms as across the white and green field wires.
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline PatrickZ

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 05:24:41 pm »
Thanks Scott.

I wired in a new GND wire in the connector to get both the field coil and RR greens to ground. Now reading 5 ohms from field coil white to battery gnd.

Ran the bike up to 5000 rpm and still only seeing 13.3V at the battery though.

Thoughts?

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 05:34:48 pm »
With the engine not running, key on, measure the voltage between the reg black wire and battery plus. This should be very low.

Offline PatrickZ

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 09:17:44 pm »
Hey Scott,

Unfortunately I can't unplug that wire from either end, I'd have to cut into it. I'd prefer to avoid and minimize resplicing, unless I have to take the RR out. What's your thinking, it's the RR and not the extra draw from the coils?

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 10:30:41 pm »
Is the black reg wire spliced to the harness? My thinking is there is a voltage drop through the M-unit feeding the reg. Just for grins, jump the white field coil wire directly to battery plus, and check the charging voltage with the engine running. Note that this test bypasses the regulator, so watch the voltage closely and shut it off if it goes over 14V, and disconnect the jumper.

Online bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 11:07:41 pm »
I wrote a comprehensive charging circuit test its in the faq section on the UK site, see if that helps.
Personaly i dont like lithium batteries, seems to me that a lot of people post problems
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline PatrickZ

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 06:22:00 pm »
Is the black reg wire spliced to the harness? My thinking is there is a voltage drop through the M-unit feeding the reg. Just for grins, jump the white field coil wire directly to battery plus, and check the charging voltage with the engine running. Note that this test bypasses the regulator, so watch the voltage closely and shut it off if it goes over 14V, and disconnect the jumper.

Scott,
Jumped the wire to battery positive. Voltage still reading 12.5-12.8v even at 4000 rpm. So I think we can eliminate the RR and Motogadget as the source of the voltage drop.

Offline nicks2319

• Enthusiast
  • Youngstown, OH
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 07:41:13 pm »

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 07:52:27 pm »
So it's lower with the reg bypassed?? If the battery is run down, it will take time to recharge to full voltage, so testing should be done with a fully charged battery. You mentioned LED lights in the first post; does this include the head-light? Do you have a Dyna ignition, or just the Dyna 3 ohm coils with points?

Offline PatrickZ

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 09:25:21 pm »
You beat me to it Scott.

While diagnosing the supply side, I've also been measuring the demand side as well. I built a power budget in Excel and went through the bike verifying that I'm seeing the expected demand.

The field coil, Dyna ignition & coils and LEDs all check out as expected. And then I got to the headlight. It still had the 90w halogen (which came with the new headlight)  that I'd forgotten to swap out with the 15w LED bulb.

With the extra 90w load from the light being on, I can't imagine the charging system had a chance.

I still can't get the voltage above 13.5V at higher RPM. But I'm going to try riding it tomorrow around the neighborhood and see if I still see the rapid battery depletion going on.

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 09:38:59 pm »
Something wasn't quite adding up. ;)

Offline PatrickZ

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 08:24:41 pm »
Finally got a 15w LED in the mail. Swapped it out today and went for a ride. Consistently seeing charging at 14.5v at 4k rpm, so everything looking like it's working beautifully!