Author Topic: Terry's new Kawasaki Z1B build, the OCD special...........  (Read 22081 times)

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: Terry's new Kawasaki Z1B build, the OCD special...........
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2020, 05:33:40 am »
Well after several weeks of anxiety worrying that somehow my engine cases would get lost between Ohio and Mill Park (including spending the best part of two weeks in Perth, on the other side of the country, for some reason) all that diazepam I've been taking was unnecessary (but most enjoyable) as a big box arrived today.

Z1 box of joy 1 Jul 2020 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I had to control myself as I sliced thru the tape and pulled out the contents, one set of pristine 1975 Z1-B crankcases, yes, I am complete again! The seller (who I also bought a mint centre stand and electrics panel from) very generously threw in a bag of OEM case bolts, which will probably come in handy, even though due to my OCD and melted credit card have cornered the market in OEM Kawasaki Z1/KZ1000 bolts.

Z1 box of joy 1 Jul 2020 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I'll remove the cylinder studs and decide whether or not to spend even more money and buy APE heavy duty top and bottom studs, as I'll be installing another Eagle welded and balanced crank, the Moriwaki 1100cc pistons, ported head and the GPZ cams, 33mm Mikuni Smoothbore carbs, Delkevic exhaust, etc etc. The H/D studs aren't necessarily a "must have" as this engine won't be flogged mercilessly, and the OEM Kawasaki stuff is super heavy duty  compared to Honda CB750 stuff, which is probably why they've always had the "Bullet Proof" reputation. Still, if Oink gets in a cheap set of APE studs, I might buy some.

The engine number is around 3000 off the frame number, but that's OK, they're both 1975 vintage, although the guy I bought the frame from had a complete 1974 Z1 engine that I could have bought. I thought about it, but to be honest, a stock Z1-B is kinda tame compared to modern bikes, so I decided to build my own hotrod Z1. I'm not a collector/investor, I don't care what it's worth, even though Shannons insurance were quite happy to insure it for $20K, even now while it's just a pile of parts. Regardless, I'm building it for me, and what ever happens to it after I boot the bucket is no concern of mine.

Z1 box of joy 1 Jul 2020 2 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Z1 box of joy 1 Jul 2020 3 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

A purist would probably faint when I say that I'm gonna get the 45 years of corrosion bead blasted off the cases and paint them black, even though the only black engine Z1's were the 72/73 model Z1, but I always liked those black engines, and because kawasaki didn't paint the cases at all on later models, I'm told that they're a pain to keep looking nice. Once again, if a future owner want to take it back to 100% original that's fine too, I'm just doing what we did back in the day.

OK, Time to hit the hay, hopefully my other boxes of parts from the US will arrive before long and I can stick the engine together, bundle it into the frame, and bolt on all the nice shiny new and refurbished original parts. I better hurry up and finish the 1428 so I've got room on my workbench! ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2020, 12:34:45 pm »
Good,You've got those parts  :)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2020, 06:15:42 pm »
Yes mate, now I need to wait for the new crank, gearbox guts, clutch basket, alternator etc, before I can rebuild it. That's OK, it'll give me time to get the cases blasted and painted, and finish the 1428. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2020, 06:26:25 pm »
How much US to ship cases to OZ ?
 Did seller ship to you direct I'd did they send it to ebays, we will empty yer wallet,  and screw up the packing .. Department..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2020, 07:55:23 pm »
 Did seller ship to you direct I'd did they send it to ebays, we will empty yer wallet,  and screw up the packing .. Department..

$300 USD Frank, sent direct via USPS (United Slow Parcel Service) on top of the $750 I paid for the cases, centre stand and electrics panel, but considering I paid nearly $2K USD for the bare frame, I couldn't complain too much......... ;D

ken65

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2020, 08:07:19 pm »

$300 USD Frank, sent direct via USPS (United Slow Parcel Service) on top of the $750 I paid for the cases, centre stand and electrics panel, but considering I paid nearly $2K USD for the bare frame, I couldn't complain too much......... ;D
Yesterday I got quoted $60 USD to get a Pingel fuel tap delivered here yesterday . I thought maybe a mistake  , but not now.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2020, 08:46:28 pm »
Yeah Ken, but if the US sellers use EBay’s global shipping system, it’s way cheaper. Cost me 36 US bux to send me a Z1 cylinder block, which is an absolute bargain. I’m sure most US sellers prefer not to, so they can rip us off for shipping.

One US FB seller took offence when I asked him why he’d overcharged me by $75 to send me some KZ1000 parts, so I said, “no worries, I’ll just post my experience with you on all the KZ pages” and suddenly he was all apologetic and refunded my money, the turd. I’ve only bought 4 things on US FB pages and have been ripped off for 3 of them, to the tune of over $1000 USD, I hope those pricks have all got Covid-19. ;D

Offline Trevor from Warragul

• Expert
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2020, 11:26:48 pm »
Yesterday I got quoted $60 USD to get a Pingel fuel tap delivered here yesterday . I thought maybe a mistake  , but not now.

Try this place:

https://www.midatlanticcycle.com/wp//

He has the three outlet Pingel with adapter nut for $129.99 USD, and postage to Australia of $26.36.  I've bought a few things from John Lutz, he's a top bloke.
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1976 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

ken65

« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2020, 03:40:59 am »

Try this place:

He has the three outlet Pingel with adapter nut for $129.99 USD, and postage to Australia of $26.36.  I've bought a few things from John Lutz, he's a top bloke.
Thanks for the link MR morini. Had a quick look. Will have a good look tomorrow. thanks,

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2020, 08:17:56 am »

Try this place:

I've bought from Mid Atlantic too for Mikuni carb kits for my H1, but beware, the ones I got a couple years back were not genuine and caused issues. [I called him out for not being clear on this]
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2020, 11:41:59 am »
Terry,You going to have 'OCD Special' printed on your side covers ??  ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2020, 06:02:42 am »
Ha ha, maybe on the inside Bill, I paid a small fortune for the paint set, so maybe some magic marker on the inside? Today was a great day for Z1 parts, the box I've been waiting for since May (fcuking Covid-19) arrived today, full of good used Z1 parts from my Ebay mate Oink. Genuine engine covers, alternator/starter clutch, clutch hub assembly (in a seperate box, only took 2 weeks!) headlight, headlight brackets, clutch perch, a ton of Kawasaki nuts and bolts, battery box so good it doesn't even need painting (and won't be) another box with a very good Z1 cylinder block (hopefully I'll transfer the 1100cc sleeves into it) so all I'm waiting on now is another alternator/starter clutch, another  welded/balanced crank, ported head, gearbox bits, etc etc.

Hopefully by the time the 1428 is up and running (with an electric starter and an alternator now) most of the Z1 parts will have arrived. It'll be nice to have 2 Kawasaki's parked side by side until I can ride again.......... ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2020, 05:55:01 am »
Well it's time to fire this thread back up again, as the (almost) final pieces of the Z1-B puzzle have finally arrived, woohoo! When it was all still so far off I ratted the Z1 parts tubs for the 1428 build, but now that I'm sitting around waiting for piston rings for the 1428, it was timely that the big heavy bits arrived today.

I say "almost" because of course I'm building this bike from parts, starting with a bare 1975 Z1-B frame and swingarm that I bought here in Oz, and a set of bare 1975 Z1-B engine cases that I bought from the US. If anyone else here but me is stupid enough to have built a bike completely from parts, you'll know that just when you think you have everything you need, you'll go so far and have to stop dead. Hopefully if I hit a wall I can steal something from the 1428 to keep the project moving right along.

Anyhoo, today I was both surprised and happy that 4 heavy boxes arrived, only 6 days after leaving the US. Two crankshafts (yeah, I don't know why either.....) an alternator, and a ported Z1 head with big (too big for this bike, but good for the 1428) Norris cams, bigger stainless valves, underbucket shims, APE springs, etc. The cranks were beautifully packed with lots of that 1/2" thick foam sheet stacked side by side so they couldn't move, the alternator/starter clutch wan't that well packed, but it was OK. Hell, it's made out of steel, and all the bits that fell out in transit were stuck to the magnets in the rotor, so no biggie.

The head, on the other hand, was a disappointment. No, it was a travesty. This was how it looked when I opened the box.

Damaged Ebay head by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Seriously? The jerk who sold it to me just threw it in the box, with no packing materials at all. Well, I did find some of those little air filled plastic bags that were all deflated, a couple of greasy rags and 3 pieces of dirty shop towels that may have been wrapped around the cams, or maybe not. I lifted the head out, and there was more loose stuff underneath.

Damaged Ebay head 3 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

As you can see in the pics, the Manley valves were just rolling around the box, as were the camshaft hold downs, that were missing most of the dowels, all but 1 of the 16 cam bearings were missing, and it looked like the cams (complete with sprockets) had been bouncing up and down in the 6 inches or so of space above the head, that should have been filled with packing material.

Damaged Ebay head 5 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Damaged Ebay head 6 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

As much as that pisses me off, I do have another Z1 head that I can either use instead of this one, or rat for the missing cam bearings. Apart from that, the head looked pretty good, or so I thought, until I saw this. Fcuk.

Damaged Ebay head 4 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

The busted fin (that wasn't mentioned in the description) was missing before it went into the box, because I couldn't find any of it in the sealed box. I've contacted the seller and sent him the pics, and let him know what I think of his packing skills. I'm trying to think of a time when I've received a consignment in worse condition, apart from when those oafs at MyUS.com re-packed my K2 triple clamps and gauges so badly that the gauges were destroyed, but that wasn't the fault of the seller, this one was on him, it wasn't re-packed by MyUS.com. These parts cost a lot of money, and to me, it's just reprehensible that someone would take your money, then just throw the fragile items in a box with heavy steel camshafts with sprockets attached, with nothing to stop them from being damaged. what a turd. Even the cam cover had a hole in it, from over enthusiastic dremeling to clearance it for the big Norris cams.

Damaged Ebay head 7 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

No matter, nothing that can't be fixed, the show must go on. Luckily I have spares. At least I've got a complete (I think) bottom end to put together, so I won't dwell on the negatives. More tomorrow. ;D     

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2020, 06:12:41 am »
Hey Terry....sorry to see that, cant believe the seller would not pack these valuable parts properly.

I think we all been there, for me it was a cracked side cover for a K1 painted body kit, eBay stepped in and forced the seller to give me a refund.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2020, 06:27:34 am »
I hope they make him refund your money completely and you turn the sand beneath his feet to glass with your feedback on his profile. Inexcusable incompetence from an idiot.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2020, 10:08:42 am »
I hope they make him refund your money completely and you turn the sand beneath his feet to glass with your feedback on his profile. Inexcusable incompetence from an idiot.

+1
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2020, 08:23:27 pm »
Thanks guys. There's a saying, "A liar should have a good memory". This guy sent me a reply, as follows:

"That is definitely not even the box I sent that out in. I used bubble wrap and heavy cardboard packing material. I’m not sure why you waited three weeks to do this also. I do not accept returns and this is not the item I sent out. You need to file a claim with UPS. Looks like that package was mishandled and repacked because again I did not package my item in that box."

The problem with the above statement is that it's easily fact checked. The tracking details that he quoted via UPS was 1Z4420990300100771. I walked out to the sheltered workshop and took a pic of the old UPS tracking label that thankfully MyUS.com didn't remove, or obliterate, and took a pic.

Damaged Ebay head UPS label by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Obviously the seller is no brain surgeon, and he's painted himself into a corner by stating that it wasn't the box he sent it in, which was easily disproved. I'm not expecting him to voluntarily refund the $480 USD I paid for the head, I would have been happy with a partial refund as I can still use pretty much everything once I fix it all, but if he tells me to fcuk off, then I'll let Ebay deal with it. I still don't understand how someone could do this, but there you go, other peoples kids............ ;D   

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2020, 09:29:53 pm »
All he had to do was put the cams in head and covers on, that woukd have made a huge difference  right there.
 Ask for a pic before he closed the box, or half packed.l usually do that. .
 And I usually make a wooden box for cases, a transmission, cylinders or a head,  it 's  just way to easy to damage stuff and THEN... nobody is happy..
 So on the eBay pics he did not show both sides of the head ?
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2020, 10:19:38 pm »
The guy's either scamming you or just an idiot. Boxes get rough handling and dropped. Most shipping carriers recommend double boxing items and suspending the internal box inside peanuts or similar depending upon weight. MRiech knows how to properly pack a head or motor parts he has worked on, it is amazing to see how well cared for they are. But lots of sellers simply don't care and this guy shows contempt and disrespect in his reaction to your complaint. YouIYou havehhave toeto usewuse a lotrlot ofaof bubble wrap to insulate a heavy item from damage and most won't wrap an item in 2-3 inches of bubble wrap and then box it so it won't be able to bounce around in the box and bust the bubble wrap.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 10:28:11 pm by RAF122S »
David- back in the desert SW!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2020, 01:20:06 am »
Thanks guys, I'm glad it hasn't gotten personal, when he started waffling today about it not being the box he packed it in, even though I sent him pics of the consignment tracking sticker on the box matching his tracking details, I just said that I'll let Ebay sort it out. Life's too short for petty bullsh1t like that.

Frank, as the ad is going to disappear soon I've copied all the pics that were posted, there were only 2 pics of the head, the rest were the bits that came with it, here they are. You can't see the broken fin from any angle, and there's nothing in the description. Fancy that........

Ebay Damaged head auction pic  1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Ebay Damaged head auction pic by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Anyway, I'm not too fussed, I can make one good head out of the bits I have now, so the build will continue in earnest. (no idea who earnest is though) It's frustrating, but at the end of the day the bike will be a rocket, and great fun to ride. I'll let Ebay sort this out, and go on with the build. I'm looking forward to assembling the engine so I can shove it in the frame and start adding all the pretty bits. ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2020, 06:27:48 am »
Today I spent a couple of hours over at the self storage place moving my bikes from the old shipping container into the new unit. Three of the 4 are runners, so it was easy enough to roll them down the ramp and ride a few hundred yards uphill to the new unit, but the poor old K100RS hasn't fired a shot in anger for 5 years, the fuel pump has gone to sleep and jumping it off a fresh battery didn't do squat.

So there I was, pushing it uphill with half flat tyres, brakes dragging, on loose gravel in the old section. I got halfway up the hill and had to stop to catch my breath, when a nice man from Ghana ran up and helped push it all the way to the new unit. Thank fcuk for good folks from Ghana!

Storage unit move 1 Aug 2020 4 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

When I got home I took a look at the Z1 cases and decided that needed a cleanup before I start filling them with mechanical guts.

Z1 box of joy 1 Jul 2020 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I spent a couple of hours with a stainless steel brush and steel wool soaked in phosphoric acid, and scrubbed all of the corrosion away. To make sure they aren't going to corrode again I shoved them in the industrial oven for a couple of hours @ 200 deg F, and when they were good and hot I sprayed them down with WD40 so I can remove the cylinder studs to clean up the gasket surfaces. They're not perfect, but they'll do. ;D

Z1 case clean 1 Aug 2020 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr 

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2020, 04:06:38 am »
Another beautiful day today, still winter, but really felt like Spring, sunny and not too cold. As much as I would have loved to start bolting the Z1 engine together, I needed to remove all the old gasket material, so after giving up on removing the cylinder studs for fear of damaging them, I spent 3 hours with a razor blade, a can of acetone and a selection of wire brushes scraping every gasket surface back to 1975. Anyway, it had to be done, and by the time I gave the cases a wash using some stanky old fuel that I pulled out of the bikes at the self storage place, they were ready for some parts.

Z1 gearbox guts 2 Aug 2020 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Z1 gearbox guts 2 Aug 2020 2 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Well, not quite. I'd whipped out my magnificent crank in anticipation, but when I looked a bit closer, I spotted two busted 6mm bolts. Fcuk. OK, they were slightly proud of the gasket surface, so I got the dremel tool out and cut a slot in them.

Z1 gearbox guts 2 Aug 2020 3 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

One came out ok, the other one was a bust. I ended up drilling/dremeling it out, and re-tapping the hole. A slightly longer bolt will do the job, but it looks ugly, thank God no-one will see it once it's assembled. I cleaned up all the metal shavings and grabbed my crank again. Ooh, a nice welded and balanced crank is a thing of beauty....

Z1 gearbox guts 2 Aug 2020 4 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr   

Anyway the crank dropped in fine after I lubed all the roller bearings, so I pulled out the gearbox guts I bought on Ebay recently. It all looked good, but one gear on a bronze bush was a bit wonky, so I stole a clip and a thrust washer off it, and used another set that I'd assembled from spares that came with the drag bike. The only sound I want coming out of this engine is ""Varoom, Varoom" not "Rattley clank clank clank........" Once again, I lubed everything so I won't be running any dry bearings while it's waiting for the oil to pump around the engine on first startup.

Z1 gearbox guts 2 Aug 2020 6 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I have to rat thru my tubs of parts to find the rest of the clutch parts so I didn't bolt the clutch hub on, I'll do that tomorrow. I'd put the Z1 cylinder block I bought that I'm hoping to clean up and fix a couple of chipped fins in my industrial oven and heated it up to 300 deg F for a couple of hours, and was happy that the 900 sleeves just fell out, hopefully the 1100 sleeves will go in just as easily.

Z1 gearbox guts 2 Aug 2020 9 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

By this stage I'd been working on it for 6 hours and I decided to take a break until tomorrow. My oldest son conned me into helping him do an oil and filter change on his Ford Exploder but we couldn't get the filter off, so he ended up doing an oil change and we'll take it to a shop to get serviced once we've got it back on the road again. I was filthy, I had dead grass clippings stuck to my clothes and beanie, I stunk, so I packed up, and jumped in the rainbox. More tomorrow.

Z1 gearbox guts 2 Aug 2020 8 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2020, 04:47:44 am »
Okay, so moving along, today I righted that Ebay dildo's wrong, and filled the hole in the Z1 cam cover with JB Weld.

Z1 gearbox guts 3 Aug 2020 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

My mate Oink forgot to pack the half ring bearing retainers with the clutch hub he sent me, so I had a scrounge around my garage and found a piston ring the same(ish) OD and thickness, and took to it with my grinder. It did the job.

Z1 gearbox guts 3 Aug 2020 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I remembered that I needed to install the new EK cam chain, so I ratted thru the tubs of new parts, then found the clutch assembly, clutch pushrod, ball bearing and pusher. I oiled all the clutch plates and assembled it, and thought, not for the first time, how simple the assembly of a big K is compared to a CB750. Tomorrow I'll transfer the shifter assembly across and bolt the case halves together, install the alternator rotor and starter motor, and start thinking about the top end.

I did discover, to my relief, that Honda CB750 valve guide seals go straight on Kawasaki Z1 valve guides, which pulled me out o the sh1t, as it was one item I forgot. That saved me a few bucks, but more importantly, it saved me a couple of weeks of waiting by my mailbox for another care package. Sweet! ;D

Z1 gearbox guts 3 Aug 2020 2 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2020, 07:38:05 am »
Hey Terry...sure woulda been nice to vapor blast that case first, anyone do that in your area?  Seem to now recall you will be painting it black?

Oink is not not bad eBay seller, right? I've bought from him too, it's amazing the amount of good Kaw parts he has.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2020, 11:49:47 am »
That fellow "Oink" is he a pig farmer who has a vintage Kawasaki business also ?