Author Topic: Half LED turn signals  (Read 1022 times)

Offline MacaveliMC

Half LED turn signals
« on: May 22, 2020, 01:30:54 pm »
Hey guys, I think I know the answer to this question, but thought I'd throw it out there just in case I'm not thinking about something....

I'm re-using the original turn signals on the front of my bike, but on the rear I'd like to use an all-in-one unit for brake & turn signals, and they are LED.  I'm assuming that since my front turn signals are filament they should be plenty to activate the flasher properly, and thus I won't have to add any resistors for the 12v LED's in the rear.

Does this sound right? as of right this moment only the front signals are hooked up and they work just fine.

Offline theDQG

Re: Half LED turn signals
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 05:35:58 pm »
Not to nitpick, but I think it's a great idea to either stay completely OEM or go completely modern. Most of the electric gremlins I've seen is when you have a hybrid of both, or when you try to patch something modern into an OEM system.

For your all in one tail, you'll need a LED flasher, and indicator lamp wiring mod (if your cb is early model).

You need the LED flasher as the old style flasher sees the lower resistance of the flasher as being a dead bulb and they will just stay on and not flash.

If you want to  go LED, why not turn everything LED?
'83 xv920
'76 xs650
cb750 k4 (2)
'81 R100RS

DQG = The Dumb Question Guy. I ask dumb questions all the time. Bike over ego.

Offline tykenfitz

• Fitz
    • Litter-Robot
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 08:02:44 am »
theDQG's probably right, but for what it's worth...

My '82 CB650SC came to me with Ebay-special el cheapo replacement rear turn signals with one burned out bulb. I replaced both rear turn signal bulbs with LED bulbs and kept the stock bulbs and assemblies up front since they're in good condition, and I didn't change the flasher relay.

I think the flashing is perhaps a little faster than stock (but I have nothing to compare it to) but is definitely a reasonable flashing speed, plus the tiny bullet turn signals in the back are actually visible now that they have the LEDs putting out a lot of light.

I'd say give it a shot with the LED bulbs. If it doesn't work, then all you gotta do is replace the relay or add resistors.
-1982 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
-2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Offline MacaveliMC

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 08:18:53 am »
Thanks for the response. That's definitely what I'm gonna try first.

Offline gtmdriver

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 11:35:44 pm »
If you use a high power electronic flasher unit it will work with LED's, filament bulbs or a mixture of both.

It will also flash at a constant rate regardless of engine speed (alternator output).