Author Topic: Removing small brass screws inside handlebar switch housings  (Read 902 times)

Offline HoosierHonda

• My ‘74 CB750 Restoration
Good morning!

This is my first post :) I have been enjoying and learning from this site for years though.

I’m restoring my 74 CB750. I want to use my original handle bar “silver” switch covers. I plan to polish them like my tree top in the pic.

The problem I’m having is removing the little brass screws that are inside the switches. I plan to put new wiring in my old housings and don’t want wiring in the housings while I polish.

I have tried heat and managed to get one screw loose. I’m being careful, trying not to strip them but being brass makes it difficult. Being dissimilar metals and brass makes this a pain in the brass for sure.

Any help with getting them out is much appreciated..

Ride on..
Claud
Ride on..

Offline jlh3rd

• Expert
Re: Removing small brass screws inside handlebar switch housings
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 05:15:00 am »
are you using JIS screwdrivers? That's the first step.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 05:28:41 am »
 Those can be difficult. The metal is not brass but is soft and low quality. A good fitting screwdriver and lots of downward pressure is essential but unfortunately yours are stripped out now. May have to do micro-surgery and drill off the heads if you can't find any other way but risky as there may not be much of a stub left to grab on and could ruin them. Try as hard as you can to change the head to fit a different driver.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 05:36:59 am by ekpent »

Offline HoosierHonda

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 05:40:32 am »
Thank you. I may buy some housings if I can find them already empty or drill or dremal the heads off.

I need some JIS bits.
Ride on..

Offline jlh3rd

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 06:09:03 am »
like ekpent said, if you drill  those head off, id bet there is no stub left to grab....I have had luck with mini vise grip pliers grabbing the sides of the head....small space, i got it...but worth a try..
Dremel tool with the thin ( not the thick, heavy duty one)  metal cutting disk and cutting a new slot for a flat head driver also......
hope this helps....

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 09:21:12 am »
+1
JIS screwdrivers
regular phillips will strip the heads
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline pjlogue

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 10:25:35 am »
I would soak the screws in PB blaster and let them sit for a few days.  If you have a drift, square up on the head and give it a good pop.  It may help loosen the corrosion and allow the PB blaster to penetrate better.  If you can't get them out with a JIS screwdriver and a lot of pressure you might try slotting the head with a dremel and again use a lot of pressure and a blade that just fits the slot. 

If you finally get it out, keep the wires in the same bend.  (Keep them bent as they were as they came out)  Getting it all back together can be a real pain as there isn't a lot of room to work. 

-P.

Offline HoosierHonda

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 05:23:13 am »
Thanks for the 411 guys. I’ve had my CB for over 30 years and have done all kinds of maintenance and repairs over the years. The very small #1 JIS Phillips heads screws inside the switch covers are the first screws I’ve had problems with.

I ordered 3 dif JIS bits and was able to take out two of the five tough screws. Then the dremel tool with a cutting blade came in handy. I cut a slot in the 3 that were stripped and was able to get them out with a flathead driver. Thanks for the dremel tip!

Be very patient as to not let the cutting tip try to move around on the screw head when you first start as it will make it all much tougher.

I put one of the newly slotted screws back in the cover picture below.

Thanks again!

Claud
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 08:13:01 am by HoosierHonda »
Ride on..

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 05:44:19 am »
 Good save!  Glad you got them out and followed up on your thread with a good solution.

Offline HoosierHonda

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 07:40:28 pm »
Finishing polishing all my aluminum “frame” parts for my bike.

My motivation for taking the wiring out of my control switches was so I could polish and Cerakote them.

I’ll post another pic after I add the red glow in the dark paint in the lettering and Cerakote.

Ride on..