Author Topic: Charging system. Stator resistance ok but 0 volts output  (Read 1538 times)

Offline albev

Charging system. Stator resistance ok but 0 volts output
« on: June 08, 2020, 01:50:39 pm »
Hi there

I'm new on board.
My Cb650 rc03 doesn't want to charge the battery, I replaced rotor and stator but no volts out from them. Can anyone suggest me some infos?

Really thanks and congratulations for the forum

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: Charging system. Stator resistance ok but 0 volts output
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 02:34:40 pm »
Guess that wasn’t your actual problem, huh?
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline albev

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 02:41:09 pm »
Guess that wasn’t your actual problem, huh?

I could not find an answer except to do the tests on the electric system. According to the manual, each test seems right

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 03:58:59 pm »
Did you perform those tests before you spent money on the new parts? Or, only after spending money did not produce the desired outcome?

Year of bike? Exact model? No electrical system test can be performed without 100% certainty that the battery is known, good.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline albev

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 11:38:51 pm »
Did you perform those tests before you spent money on the new parts? Or, only after spending money did not produce the desired outcome?

Year of bike? Exact model? No electrical system test can be performed without 100% certainty that the battery is known, good.

CB650 Z (Rc03) 1979, battery is new
The tests I made:
No Ω through rotor tracks, no the same Ω value through three stator phases. According with workshop manual I decided to replace them.
Now I have right Ω values both on the rotor and on the stator, but no volts out.
I'v no experience with electrical but I guess the AC is produced by those two components

Thanks

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 11:48:00 pm »
The rotor has slip-rings and brushes that with power applied produce the magnetic field. Have you measured the ohms of the rotor through the connections of the brushes? If that tests good, measure the voltage from one brush wire to the other, with the key switch on and report back.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline albev

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 01:02:10 am »
I tested continuity on brushes only, statically. You suggest to test them engine running?

Thanks

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 11:23:28 am »
Static is OK for now. Do you measure voltage across the brushes with the key on, engine not running?
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline albev

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 04:21:56 am »
With your suggestion I discovered that a cable was broken. I didn't have volts from brushes, and supposed that was the stator or rotor. I tested it with key on and all come ok.

Thanks man

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 04:59:07 pm »
You're welcome. ;D
PS If the rotor was zero ohms, the brush holders and springs may have overheated, so if you have problems again, that is the first place to look.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 07:21:03 pm by scottly »