Author Topic: Highest HP - UNDER 750cc & Stock compression  (Read 8014 times)

Offline Plzhalpimlost

Highest HP - UNDER 750cc & Stock compression
« on: August 02, 2020, 05:47:11 pm »
Yes, yes. The classic HP question. But every time it comes up we get the big bore guys coming in. And if someone says under 750, then high compression enters the chat.

I am putting out a request for anyone to prove they have the highest HP cb750, under 750cc (slight overbores make the cut) with STOCK COMPRESSION.

Now, I say PROVE. Meaning no “my uncle’s friend had a 100 hp stock motor back in the 80s”. I want dyno numbers or at the very least a quarter mile slip.

I’m here to beat the record, but I need to know what the number to beat is.

Let’s stay civil.
Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Highest HP - UNDER 750cc & Stock compression
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 06:07:53 pm »
I can tell you it's not something folks put a lot of effort into.. sooner or later they start hopping things up..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Plzhalpimlost

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 06:14:23 pm »
I can tell you it's not something folks put a lot of effort into.. sooner or later they start hopping things up..
Everyone has their own goals — this is mine. It’s why there are so many categories for land speed records. I’ve set this as a specific challenge for myself and can’t be the only one.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 06:42:39 pm »
Well then look at the records for Bonneville. . Everywhere else almost us faster but less challenging..
 horsepower to most racers is not what they dwell on too much, results at the track counts the most....
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 07:07:51 pm »
Who'd run a stock bike at the dragstrip or pay for dyno time?

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 07:19:00 pm »
I ain't got no numbers or proof...but I am gonna say, from what I have experienced, it's gonna be an F2 or a K0
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 07:27:29 pm »
The dyno charts I've seen show about 55 RWHP for a stock 750, and I recall one that was about 60 RWHP, but I suspect the head had some slight massaging? What modifications are allowed under your rules, other than displacement and compression? Quarter mile times are not a good measure of HP, as the weight of the rider can have a significant effect.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Plzhalpimlost

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 08:34:28 pm »
Who'd run a stock bike at the dragstrip or pay for dyno time?
1. I’m sure more than a few people.
2. Who said anything about a stock bike/motor? Just stock compression and cc.

My bike will meet those two qualifications while still having:
Balance crank and alternator, .5mm overbore pistons, HD rods, ported head with +2mm intake valves, kibblewhite springs and a Megacycle 125-NR cam.

You sure bet I’m taking it to the dyno and drag.

Offline Plzhalpimlost

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 08:36:08 pm »
The dyno charts I've seen show about 55 RWHP for a stock 750, and I recall one that was about 60 RWHP, but I suspect the head had some slight massaging? What modifications are allowed under your rules, other than displacement and compression? Quarter mile times are not a good measure of HP, as the weight of the rider can have a significant effect.
Great question. Only other “rule” would be N/A. No forced induction. See my reply above for what my general setup looks like.

Offline Finnigan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 08:51:23 pm »
Great topic, will be following with interest

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 09:37:46 pm »

Balance crank and alternator, .5mm overbore pistons, HD rods, ported head with +2mm intake valves, kibblewhite springs and a Megacycle 125-NR cam.

So your main distinction is a bore at or under 750cc.? I believe Matt's road-race 750 dialed about 80 RWHP on the dyno?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Plzhalpimlost

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 10:24:57 pm »

So your main distinction is a bore at or under 750cc.? I believe Matt's road-race 750 dialed about 80 RWHP on the dyno?
Yes, under 750 but I find that confirming standard compression to be just as important. Some of the guys out at Bonneville will keep it under 750 but raise compression.

But, if Matt’s is as stated above, wow! Happen to have a link?   

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 01:05:09 am »
yeah, Matt's has pistons to raise compression...that are now available from CycleX

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 01:10:03 am »
This thread could be cool to see what can be had with razor sharp tuning.  It will need people to actually do dyno runs.  And since dyno's are not very accurate comparing from one to another, the interesting part is gonna be the amount of increase, not the total number.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 01:15:45 am »
👀

Offline mark ward

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2020, 04:19:52 am »
Perhaps Dennis from Wisconsin has some info to add here.   Frank, have you ever ventured down the quarter on a stock 750, for curiosity-sake?

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 04:30:21 am »
Plzhalpimlost, can I ask which drag racing class you will be running in that requires these specifications (low compression and under 750cc) ?

Sam.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2020, 05:40:38 am »
What your talking about was the classic hot up in the 70's , at least in Australia as Ozzies were big on head jobs and cams rather than the US big bore scene which stressed the rods and could get expensive. So Im curious, what is the standard compression ration your nominating as standard as there a 3 different head chambers, different piston combos etc so nominate the numbers.
cheers Johno
GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2020, 09:04:36 am »
Perhaps Dennis from Wisconsin has some info to add here.   Frank, have you ever ventured down the quarter on a stock 750, for curiosity-sake?

Mark,

I did some test passes on my stock K8 about 25 years ago. By stock I mean engine wise.  It did have a sidewinder for lowering purposes, a set of straight drag bars and a cut seat to keep me from sliding. As I recall my best 1/4 mile pass was a 13.22. The bike had a stock swingarm and I foot shifted it.  It was re-geared also.

I've been curious for several years now as to how quick i could get a bone stock engine to go on a perfectly set up, no bar extended chassis.  I may freshen up a stock engine with no internal modifications one day and swap it onto my mono shock chassis to see what numbers I can achieve.  I'm a total advocate for concentrating on proper chassis set up versus expensive engine modifications for drag racing. Its the best bang for the buck in order to get decent times from  out dated technology.

Offline Plzhalpimlost

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2020, 10:46:44 am »
This thread could be cool to see what can be had with razor sharp tuning.  It will need people to actually do dyno runs.  And since dyno's are not very accurate comparing from one to another, the interesting part is gonna be the amount of increase, not the total number.
Glad you like the topic! But I may have to disagree on one point. While not all Dynos are created equal, I think it’s our best bet. Before the rebuild began, my CB ran like garbage and probably only had 30 some HP (oil starvation, terrible carb setup). No bragging rights for putting back the 20 hp. Yes, certain years were faster than others, but I think it’s a moot point after any performance rebuild.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2020, 10:51:59 am »
What drag racing class are you going to be racing in ?
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Plzhalpimlost

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2020, 10:52:11 am »
Plzhalpimlost, can I ask which drag racing class you will be running in that requires these specifications (low compression and under 750cc) ?

Sam.
I’ve never hear of one, and I’m not assuming one exists. But I think you’d agree.

My main goal is HP. I brought up the quarter mile time as a supplement to a dyno run if we had to. Meaning, if someone didn’t have a dyno slip, but still had a claimed HP number, that with a total weight and quarter mile time that we could face check a little.

Offline Plzhalpimlost

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2020, 10:56:47 am »
What drag racing class are you going to be racing in ?
See above. But I’d love some advice if you know of a category I should be aiming for.

Offline Plzhalpimlost

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2020, 11:01:31 am »
What your talking about was the classic hot up in the 70's , at least in Australia as Ozzies were big on head jobs and cams rather than the US big bore scene which stressed the rods and could get expensive. So Im curious, what is the standard compression ration your nominating as standard as there a 3 different head chambers, different piston combos etc so nominate the numbers.
cheers Johno
Well I was figuring 9.0:1, but if you have a more accurate way of describing the stock ratio(s) then I’m willing to adjust my parameters for this competition. I will say though that there is some slight wiggle room. No one should be cut out just because they needed to deck the head and thus changed the ration by a decimal.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2020, 11:28:52 am »
Well I was figuring 9.0:1, but if you have a more accurate way of describing the stock ratio(s) then I’m willing to adjust my parameters for this competition. I will say though that there is some slight wiggle room. No one should be cut out just because they needed to deck the head and thus changed the ration by a decimal.

[/quote]

F0/F1 = 9.2:1. The 77/78 K has the same basic engine but I doubt the 9.2:1 as the pistons are not a full dome like the F0/F1 and have a relief around the circumference.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)