Author Topic: Source for CB550 exhaust valves  (Read 3733 times)

Offline daytonajoker

Source for CB550 exhaust valves
« on: March 14, 2011, 05:56:15 pm »
I bought 4 new OEM intake valves off e-bay for $85 incl shipping....Exhaust Valves are $80/valve from my local Honda Dealer....anyone know of a less expensive source (in the US)....I've got 3 slightly bent exhaust valves

Online bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Re: Source for CB550 exhaust valves
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 11:30:38 pm »
I think Dave Silver charges £10 per valve
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline kdmi

• It sure came apart easy
  • Is reassembly as easy as disassembly?
    • Web Developer who loves his CB550
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 07:11:29 am »
I just ordered from shop.readyhondapowerhouse.com and picked up 4 intake and 4 exhaust valves for $135 CAD, including shipping and taxes (purolator ground shipping was $35 and tax was $13) I don't know what shipping to the US would ad but this is way cheaper than anything else I've found with many others wanting up to $50 per exhaust valve

I resorted to Google searches of the OEM part number rather than CB550 valves etc that I had been searching
I'm a web developer not a mechanic, I spent ten years building some of the best electric bass guitars in the world so I know my way around tools - but again I'm not a Mechanic so bear with me and my questions, and Thanks in advance!

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:44:36 am »
Check if Kibblewhite still lists them
Pretty sure they listed a 'Black Diamond' exhaust valve for 550
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 08:58:03 am »
They do have them and they are a relatively new addition to their catalog. They also make 1mm OS intakes as well as the stock size.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline kdmi

• It sure came apart easy
  • Is reassembly as easy as disassembly?
    • Web Developer who loves his CB550
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 11:34:54 am »
They do have them and they are a relatively new addition to their catalog. They also make 1mm OS intakes as well as the stock size.

Any thoughts on where to find them, the page on the Kibblewhite site of valvetrain parts for the cb550 doesn't list any valves, they have spring kits, guides etc. but no valves listed

Also just got an email from the supplier I ordered from saying my valves were back-ordered with no ETA, so now I'm looking for a source and not sharing one (I knew the price was to good to be true)

UPDATE: decided to order a single exhaust valve (was going to replace all ex and in but only really "needed" this one) the company I had ordered was able to provide a Honda single exhaust valve for $39.74 + tax - I still can't believe how tough these are to find
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 01:41:48 pm by kdmi »
I'm a web developer not a mechanic, I spent ten years building some of the best electric bass guitars in the world so I know my way around tools - but again I'm not a Mechanic so bear with me and my questions, and Thanks in advance!

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 06:28:02 am »
They are not hard to find,just hard to find at price your prepared to pay  ;)
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 08:45:05 am »
Either way they are not cheap. Neither are the guides. I bought a used set from a member here for $50 and thought that was reasonable at the time.

FWIW the valve cover was not installed properly, hence the bent valves. When installing use the rubber band trick when reinstalling the cover.
"Just because you flush a boatload of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Stepfather the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 VG "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS
Another 1976 CB550K Cafe?

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 09:46:27 am »
I sell OEM 550 exhaust valves for 51.99 + shipping. List from Honda is 66.93
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline CoachDoc

• Hot Shot
  • 1974 CB550, 2005 GL1800, 1997 Valkyrie Standard
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 10:32:33 am »
Either way they are not cheap. Neither are the guides. I bought a used set from a member here for $50 and thought that was reasonable at the time.

FWIW the valve cover was not installed properly, hence the bent valves. When installing use the rubber band trick when reinstalling the cover.

I have filed this away and will definitley use your rubber band trick when the time comes, which will likely be sooner rather than later. Thanks for reposting it.

Offline Maraakate

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 08:46:27 am »

This is a huge necrobump but I would like some more info on the rubber band trick.
1977 CB550K
1979 CM400A

Offline robvangulik

• Honda Fourever
  • Expert
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 12:29:58 pm »
When you type " rubber band trick." in the search bar on top of the sohc4 bikes page, you get 3 pages with 78 results.

Offline Maraakate

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 12:34:22 pm »
Yes, but I am referring to when do you let the rubber bands back down, was this always common knowledge back in the 70s?  The service manual mentions nothing about being careful with the valves during reassembly.  No warnings or even a passing remark about it.  I believe it to be true, since so many people have mentioned this trick here, but just want to know more detailed information about it.
1977 CB550K
1979 CM400A

Offline robvangulik

• Honda Fourever
  • Expert
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 12:47:36 pm »
Yes, but I am referring to when do you let the rubber bands back down, was this always common knowledge back in the 70s?  The service manual mentions nothing about being careful with the valves during reassembly.  No warnings or even a passing remark about it.  I believe it to be true, since so many people have mentioned this trick here, but just want to know more detailed information about it.
That manual also doesn't mention anything about not dropping the engine on your toes, but you wouldn't do that, would you? Ofcourse you must be careful not to bend any valves, or your bike won't run. For me that falls in the category of "do not dry your cat in the microwave".
I've never used the RB trick, but its very simple, with the valve cover removed, hook a rubber band under the rocker through the opening, stretch to the opposite valve and do the same there, repeat with all valves, and they will be kept out of harms way while you screw the cover in place.

Offline Maraakate

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 03:00:32 pm »
That manual also doesn't mention anything about not dropping the engine on your toes, but you wouldn't do that, would you? Ofcourse you must be careful not to bend any valves, or your bike won't run. For me that falls in the category of "do not dry your cat in the microwave".
I've never used the RB trick, but its very simple, with the valve cover removed, hook a rubber band under the rocker through the opening, stretch to the opposite valve and do the same there, repeat with all valves, and they will be kept out of harms way while you screw the cover in place.

Couldn't you simply remove the adjuster stud and nut instead and then put them in once you have everything else tightened down or no?
1977 CB550K
1979 CM400A

Offline robvangulik

• Honda Fourever
  • Expert
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2020, 03:32:49 pm »
You probably can, it is meant to keep rockers and valves out of each others way while screwing the cover on. Some people just take the cover and screw it in place, and then find they bent a couple of valve stems because they didn't really knew what to look out for.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2020, 04:26:00 pm »
PartsNmore.com, here:
https://www.partsnmore.com/parts/honda/cb550k/?filters[category]=engine&filters[fitting]=custom
Their part number 73-0982, $17 each.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Maraakate

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2020, 06:17:07 pm »
PartsNmore.com, here:
https://www.partsnmore.com/parts/honda/cb550k/?filters[category]=engine&filters[fitting]=custom
Their part number 73-0982, $17 each.

Hey HondaMan, I bumped an old thread, but that is a great link.  I see the valves are a good price on there.  They even have the kibblewhite valves, however CycleX appears to have those cheaper at ~$37 a valve.

Another thing I noticed is the valve guides say for intake and exhaust, but there's two different part numbers on the microfiche.  Does it not really matter?  Even CycleX sells it as a complete set and they appear to be the same.
1977 CB550K
1979 CM400A

Online bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2020, 11:13:48 pm »
Fitting guides is not that easy a job as after carefull fitting they need reaming to an exact size that car reconditioners dont understand then the seats need re grinding to size and shape
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline Maraakate

• Hot Shot
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2020, 04:42:00 am »
Fitting guides is not that easy a job as after carefull fitting they need reaming to an exact size that car reconditioners dont understand then the seats need re grinding to size and shape

Yeah, I figured as much.  If the time ever comes where this becomes necessary for me I'd ask on here for suggestions of trusted places to send it out to.

Interestingly enough, the service manual makes it sound like it's pretty easy to swap the guides out.  The special removal tool is still available from Honda.  The reamer is not but I see that there are parts number close to it and they are 5.5mm.  So I would guess as long as the reamer length is the same or longer it should work as long as it is 5.5mm for the CB550?  Either way, I would send it out.  Not worth trying to do it myself with such tight tolerances.
1977 CB550K
1979 CM400A