Author Topic: XDA series race at VMP this weekend.  (Read 1488 times)

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
XDA series race at VMP this weekend.
« on: August 20, 2020, 04:38:31 am »
We've pretty much been avoiding large drag racing events this season.  As such, i haven't touched my old bike since November of last year.  I decided it was time to get out in the real world of racing so we've made plans to compete at the XDA series race at Virginia Motorsports Park this weekend. 

I pulled the cover off the old Honda to get it onto the jack stands so I could begin some pre-race maintenance only to remember that the rear tire had a leak from last season. Damn. I aired it up and got the bike elevated so I could change the oil/filter and do a once over. I decided to remove the tank so I could pull the carbs  for cleaning and adjustments. Things were moving along pretty well until I hit one of the jets with a 120psi blast of air. Just my luck it pushed that jet out of my fingers and into the air. I heard it land someplace in the shop but after crawling around on my hands and knees, I decided to just wait until tomorrow so I can dig in a parts cabinet to rob the parts from a spare set of Flatslides🤨. Oh well,  this'll set me back a day but it'll come together.  I'm going to synch the carbs as well and put in a fresh set of plugs. I've got to order a new rear tire before I can consider this one race ready. Hopefully I can make some rounds this weekend. I got tbe super comp bike ready and have to work on the wife's pro ET bike and my top sportsman Kawasaki.  Its going to be a long weekend of racing ahead. I just turned 60 so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can keep up.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: XDA series race at VMP this weekend.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 08:10:07 am »
Good luck Frank.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 08:26:30 am »
Frank......yours is not the first 'flying jet' experience ;D  Go git em :) :) :)
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 08:51:23 am »
Frank......yours is not the first 'flying jet' experience ;D  Go git em :) :) :)
Better a jet than a piston. :o ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 11:49:24 am »
Better a jet than a piston. :o ;D

Lol. Thats a fact. Especially if it cracks.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 09:30:27 pm »
We made it safely to the dragstrip after a 6 hour drive. We registered and got all of the bikes teched in. Pro ET is first out of the box at 8am sharp. The wife will be racing this time so I need to get her at the front of the pack and I'll settle into the rear of the line. I'm hoping to qualify my car tire Kaw in the quickest 32 bike in the pro ET class so I can be entered into the top sportsman class.  After pro ET and come back to the pit area and jump on the Honda for street ET time run #1. We will get 2 in pro, and street ET and then eliminations begin.  I'll also be qualifying my other Kaw in thec5.60 class.

Its going to be a tiring weekend.

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 03:09:50 am »
Lets hope it stops raining

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 12:30:36 pm »
Get em Frank.  ;D
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 08:09:19 pm »
Qualified #11 out 143 bikes in top sportsman with a 7.97 @154mph.  In 5.60 index, i went below the index with a 5.53. In first round for street ET,  I spun off the line really bad on the Honda. Ran a 10.98. I had just put a new tire on and we didn't lower the air pressure. Had about 5lb over so we dropped it to 13lbs before the next time run.  On my 2nd pass,, the Bike left okay but I slipped the clutch a bit too long. It ran a 6.58 in the 1/8th mile and a 10.62 in the 1/4 @118mph. Unfortunately due to early morning rain delay, the promoter decided to combine the 2 day sportsman classes eliminations into one day with double purses so we won't begin tbe actual race until on Sunday. 

I'll try to post more results in the morning.

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 03:11:25 pm »
Frank,sorry I didn't get out there this weekend.life got in the way.hope you and gladys did well.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 04:45:39 pm »
My race weekend ended in first round losses in 3 classes.  First blow came when I made a rookie mistake in top sportsman. I qualified #11 in the field of 32 bikes with a 7.97 ET. I decided to dial in at a 7.99. My slower opponent dialed  a 8.21. When the light came down I was passing my competitor in the 60' and lead him down the track.  I typically look back around the 1000' mark if I'm ahead to qauge my opponents track position but look back around the 900 mark instead and he was no where close. Forsomestupid reason,  I rolled off the throttle thinking I was going way to quick and didn't want to breakout.  I looked back again at thec100' cone and my opponent had quickly closed the gap. Dang. I immediately locked throttle again but I had lost to much momentum and he got past me to cross the stripe first for the win. My wife came to the end of the track and tow me back to the pit area. She told me the announcer said i was going to hate myself when I saw the time slip. Sure enough I started to kick myself when she handed the slip to me. The reason I was so far out in front of the guy was not because I was going to quick, it was because I had managed a perfect reaction time on the pass. I threw that perfect light away by cutting gas at the wrong time.  That kind of light doesn't happen often and almost always insures a win. Oh well.  On to street ET eliminations.  I dialed the 750F in at a conservative 10.65. Me and the bike simply were not gelling  this weekend so I built a buffer into the estimated time.  Just luck My opponent ended up being a team member. He was also on a Honda.  A newer CBR 600 which he dialed in at a 10.75 if I recall correctly.  This means I was spotting him by a tenth of a second. Ive been racing against him for well over 20 years now and he is a tough competitor.  Lately he's been on fire with multiple wins and runner ups so knew I had my hands full. We both did our burn outs and pulled into the staging beams. When the tree came down,  I threw the clutch away and locked the throttle.  I immediately saw the red light on my side but also realized my front-end was starting to uncharacteristically climb in the air. DANG it. I slowly let the bike settle down to the ground and finished up the pass. Crap. Now I'm out  2 of 3 classes I've enter. I knew I had to make the next one count. This class is run on the 1/8th mile on a 5.60 second index. The bike i race in this class is a small tire wheelie bar Kawasaki.  It's actually my wife's old bracket bike with a different engine. I built a car tire bike for her a few years ago. In this class you run off a 4 tenths pro tree. Both bikes leave the starting line at the same time and its first to the finish line without breaking out for the winner. I drew a street bike as my opponent.  We rolled up to the beams and lit all bulbs. When the tree came down I knew I had a better reaction time and basically left him behind. My bike is actually quicker than the 5.60 index so I short shift it to get close to the number. If I'm way out front,  I scrub off momentum by hitting the air shifter button a few times which kills the ignition momentarily.  Twice is usually enough.  On this run i was in front all the way to the mph cone so I bumped the button a few more times to keep from breaking out. We crossed the line side by side.  Unfortunately his win light came on instead of mine. My time slip showed exactly how close the race was at rhe finish line. He crossed .006 in front of me. A knats butt basically.  Boy oh boy. Well,  my day was over in the saddle.

My secondary job that weekend was being co-crew chief with the wife for a friend who was in the 4.60 index class. I ended up wearing the hat of mechanic as well because he had electrical issues that affected his runs. Once we got it solved, he qualified number 10 out of 45 bikes. We went on to make 3 rounds until a slower reaction time by our rider led to his loss.  I would have liked to see him go on to win this event but we both were pleased at having gotten the bike to perform well. Next race, I feel the team can take this bike further into the rounds.

All in all,  I had a good time at this event.  It was our first major race since the pandemic began so I was happy to be in competition again. Next event is the Man Cup race at Rockingham,  followed by the XDA finals in Maryland.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 05:03:47 pm »
I hare sandbagging, always rather run full out..all the way..
 It may have its place, but Usually just dialer a number I thought I could not break and ran full out..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 05:52:54 pm »
I hare sandbagging, always rather run full out..all the way..
 It may have its place, but Usually just dialer a number I thought I could not break and ran full out..

I'm not one to sandbag in general.  In my case with the Honda, I only had one decent run from the day before so buffering my ET was the wisest thing to do at that time. I've done this long enough to play the stripe in case of a good pass. It helps me to determine my next round  ET better if I can survive the current round.  I try to focus on the big picture when racing at this level.

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 09:40:14 am »
............back in the saddle again........You had fun and will be ready for the next meet ;)
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 01:52:32 pm »
May not of been that successful a weekend on the strip, but bring able to take all the bikes home with nothing broken is still a win. ;)
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2020, 03:55:05 pm »
I've been trying to post a few pictures but it seems the file size is too large. I may make another attempt to resize.

It felt good to get back out racing again and seeing the race family via social distancing for the most part. This is the first large event we've participated in this season due to the pandemic. We have done a little private, limited occupancy testing but its not the same as an actual race.

Our next major event is the Man Cup race at Rockingham Dragway in September,  followed by the XDA finals in Maryland right after. We'll close the season out at the Man Cup finals in November at SGMP. I feel confident that Man Cup will likely fold at the end of 2020. XDA series will be our primary race venue for 2021. Its a very well run organization.  I would encourage you all to attend at least one of these events if you can. You won't get to see top fuel bikes but you truly won't miss it.