Author Topic: 1975 CB550F Pod and jet sizing that works  (Read 1319 times)

Offline BudgetBiker

1975 CB550F Pod and jet sizing that works
« on: April 29, 2020, 07:14:37 am »
Hello.
Most posts look old so i fear i may never get a straight answer. After reading and reading i find very broad answers when it comes to carbs, jets and pods.

Let me start by saying that yes, OEM everything is best. However in my case, i got my 75 CB550F with pods and a bad carb.

I have cleaned the carb, replaced the intake manifold gaskets, cleaned out the cylinders and fixed a lot of other problems.

However, the original airbox and tubing was long ago replaced and or lost by the previous owner.

I purchased a professionally rebuilt carb with OEM specs. I have tuned and synced them yet i have idle and top end performance issues. I have narrowed the cause down to that it has foam pods and stock jets. So my question is.

Has anyone (succesfully) put velocity stacks or pods and if so, what main and idle jet sizes did you use? Can you reach 90mph no problem?
Thank you.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: 1975 CB550F Pod and jet sizing that works
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 10:11:16 am »
Main jet 105, needle clip moved richer 1 position. Should get you VERY close. Hopefully they're decent quality pods???
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline dkihlgren

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 08:56:10 pm »
Look here http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,182071.0.html
I translated a step by step method that works.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 03:10:58 pm »
with all the "builders" junking airboxes by the truck load, do the really smart thing, get an original one off ebay and fit it. end of guess work and will function better than those hit or miss pods/stacks.
unless you are hot-roding the engine to a high level, the stock airbox is not an impediment to performance.

Offline per

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 07:25:04 am »
Hi
Try this; main jets 115, and leave the rest as stock. Worked great on my 1975 with pods.
Cheers........Per
"Of course they are faster than me. They are young, fit and fearless, I am old, fat and scared!"