Author Topic: Suzuki GS 750 - Current Project  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Hariii

Suzuki GS 750 - Current Project
« on: June 02, 2020, 10:50:48 am »
Hey guys,

an motorcycle - enthusiast i thought you may be interested in my current project, a Suzuki GS 750 which i bought in December, a few days before christmas. Beside my Cb 550 and my Thruxton 900, it's my first real project with a ton of "doing it for the very first time" stuff and yeah, it's still going.

The condition of the bike was quite a mess to be honest, althought she looked ok at the first glimpse. The previous owner didn't really use the last 10 years and so she stood there in a corner under a roof. Rusty, with old tires and not working. So i did what every reasonable young man with a limited income and limited knowledge about motorcycle (but a lot of passion) what would do. I bought her and brought her home (well yeah, had to call someone for that).

The next days i spent most of my time in the garage, stripping her completly and removing the engine on my own. The beautiful thing is god damn heavy and impossible to lift on your own. While doing all that i found a lot of "interesting" solutions in the wiring and a lot of "oh god, why" moments occured.

After that first little success, it was cleaning time. As you can imagine, the bike, engine, all cover insides etc were dirty as hell and i spent hours afters hours freeing them from the dirt of the last 10 years...maybe even longer. Next i planned the look of the bike, bought some stuff and started the rebuild. I changed almost everything by know. Gearing, brake pistons, gaskets, exhaust system, tires, painted this and that, changed my plan a few times and then put her together with an experienced guy in 3 days 90mins away from my home. Here are just some of way too many picutes that occured during that time period.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 10:44:53 pm by Hariii »

Offline Hariii

Re: Suzuki GS 750 - Current Project
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 11:10:42 am »
Unfortunately, we couldn't make her run after these 3 days and i was really disappointed about that. Lucky me, that guy helped me out a lot by phone and instructed me how to check everything again. So i had to correct the slightly mis - timed valve timing, the ignition time (dynatek s), cleaned the carbs, etc and finally got her running...poorly. Then on 3 cylinders. Cleaned the carbs again (with ERC carb cleaner) and then, finally, she was running on all 4 cylinders. That moment, oh boy, was pure joy.
https://youtu.be/sHveOApYRYY

Then, i restorated most of the old wiring, exchanged the rear rubber brake line for a steel one and tried out if everything was working.

And yeah, that's the current situation now. As you may have noticed, i chose a few things from the old CBs for my built because i just love the style. Also, i try to use mostly parts from the 70s period, cause i want to maintain the classic look. Don't need another pinterest caferacer.
I managed to do a first run with her and well, got some problems with the gear shifting. Doesn't work as smooth as it should and only with a little trick. Other than that, i only do small jobs at the moment and wait for some stuff to come. For example, I relocated the ignition lock into the lamp holder (using the lock of a CB 750), ordered a CNC Plate for the speedo and tacho cause i'm going to us again the parts a cb 500 K0 (the small ones).

They look way better than the original ones, which are also not working^^

And before i forget, i also mounted the panel for the control lights of an old cb 500 i guess.
(No pictures made yet)

So yeah, that's all for now. If some of you are interested i will keep you updated and if not, that's alright :)

Cheers guys and thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 10:48:26 pm by Hariii »

Offline Pielz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 12:22:24 pm »
Very cool!! I had the opportunity to help restore an 80 GS850GL. Was sad to see that thing sold. It was one of the most comfortable, nicest riding vintage bikes I've ever been on. Automatic turn signals, convenient everything. Most everything is in a good spot and accessable to be worked on.

Your bike is beautiful, I love the red and the cool choice of seat upholstery. Good call with the ignition upgrade as those old CDI boxes are pricey and dicey used

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 03:07:11 pm »
What a great project, nice work! I love the old Suzi's, I have a couple of small ones. 

The GS1000 was about the fasted bike on the road in the late 70's, I bet your 750 will be very quick too.

Keep us updated...
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Hariii

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 03:01:59 am »
Thanks guys, then it's settled. I will keep you updated :) It has been a fascinating process so far and there are still a lot of things i want to change/improve in the future. The leather from the seat was from the previous owner and decided to keep it. It has some history and i like that, even thought i would prefer a simple black oder a darker brown more.
The red colour of the Tank is not original and i will definitely repaint it (looks good on pictures, but not so much in real life), probably next year. Maybe in a CB combination (Jade green) or in a Suzuki GT combination...Still not decided.

Here are the latest changes/pictures:
Relocated my "new" ignition lock into the lamp holder and painted some stuff (Lamp holder and covers for the air filter box) etc..

cheers
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 05:47:07 am by Hariii »

Offline Hariii

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 02:23:07 am »
It's been some time, but here are some updates from the GS project. After some short runs with the m-handlebar, i decided to exchange it with a higher and more comfortable one...The burden on the back was just too much and i want to enjoy riding.
I also tried out some Cb 550 headlight brackets, which are unfortunately a little bit too short. Such a shame, cause they look awesome on the bike. Same with the CB 500 K0 instruments...Looked good, but didn't work as they should. So i had to replace them too. At least the taillight is now fully functioning again :)
Anyway, that's the current look:

For the future i will remove the paint from the tank and go for the bare metal brushed look. Side panels will be painted black. Then i need a second classic looking flat seat. Different headlight brackets, relocate the turn signals, find a place for the ignition etc etc.

Offline Hariii

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 09:57:49 am »
Current status quo:

As you can see, some things have changed. Got myself a new tank, changed the fork ears, the headlight, the rear fender, put the original instruments into the housing of a CB 550 one, painted some parts etc. Still a ton a work to do, but i like the way it goes.

Ah well, she is also registered now and the first few trips were a lot of fun.

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 05:15:53 am »
hiya, nice work, i used to have a 77 gs750 in the 80s, loved it and did loads of miles on it

i ended up selling it the day before the rec/reg cr@pped out but i was kind enough to help the new owner get it the hell out of this state on his planned round australia trip...never heard from him again so i guess he made it to somewhere....

got  a GS850G after that, the first of 3, which were reputed to be bulletproof, mine wasn't, i totally destroyed the gearbox drag racing an Eddie Lawson Z1100, in my defence i did win....sold that as soon as it was fixed and got a GSX1100 wich i ended up swapping for a K2 750 honda and that was me sorted for the next 10 years
i blame Terry

Offline Hariii

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 09:35:26 am »
Thank you for sharing your interesting story and liking the build so far.

It is really a great bike and makes a lot of fun to ride :)