Author Topic: killing engine with m unit  (Read 3511 times)

Offline guamjake

killing engine with m unit
« on: September 19, 2020, 03:44:18 pm »
In the manual, it says a double press of the start button will kill the engine. This is not working. Any ideas why it isn't ?

Offline guamjake

Re: killing engine with m unit
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 05:13:27 pm »
no kill switch. using m unit blue

Offline carnivorous chicken

• Master
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 05:18:32 pm »
no kill switch. using m unit blue

Ah, missed that... mevermind.

Offline stocky

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 07:17:14 pm »
In the manual, it says a double press of the start button will kill the engine. This is not working. Any ideas why it isn't ?

Not sure how the m unit works with the stock kill switch if you're still using it, maybe cal737 can chip in on the wiring.

Been using the m unit with aftermarket switches and double tap of the starter button kills the engine.

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 04:44:46 am »
Look up octane classics? On youtube,he has a real good video installing an m unit blue on a 550,he even uses the stock kill switch

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 04:45:37 am »
My bad,its classic octane

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline guamjake

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 08:15:59 am »
Just to clarify- I am using M unit Blue with Mesner moto momentary switches. switch is wired to the "start" input on M unit.

Offline stocky

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 10:29:19 am »
Just to clarify- I am using M unit Blue with Mesner moto momentary switches. switch is wired to the "start" input on M unit.

So you're able to start the engine with the momentary start switch? If so, it should be able to cut off as well as it basically just kills the ignition to the spark.

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 02:51:46 pm »

Not sure how the m unit works with the stock kill switch if you're still using it, maybe cal737 can chip in on the wiring.

Been using the m unit with aftermarket switches and double tap of the starter button kills the engine.
You can use a conventionalish killswitch assuming on is open circuit and off is grounded. I’m sure some can be made to function like this, or use it in reverse lol
I used a negative triggered relay to retain my switches. M unit supplies the relay with power from my M-units ignition output. Then I use the kill switch to trigger ground to the relay. (I couldn’t use power through the kill switch because the starter button and kill share a ground and would result in a short. (I have like gsxr Suzuki switches but the same concept can be adopted elsewhere)

To OP I believe you need to turn that feature on in your settings. Hook your phone up and take a look.
80' CB650
Build Thread

Offline stocky

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2020, 05:12:18 pm »

You can use a conventionalish killswitch assuming on is open circuit and off is grounded. I’m sure some can be made to function like this, or use it in reverse lol
I used a negative triggered relay to retain my switches. M unit supplies the relay with power from my M-units ignition output. Then I use the kill switch to trigger ground to the relay. (I couldn’t use power through the kill switch because the starter button and kill share a ground and would result in a short. (I have like gsxr Suzuki switches but the same concept can be adopted elsewhere)

To OP I believe you need to turn that feature on in your settings. Hook your phone up and take a look.

Nice explanation, I just remembered m unit operates in reverse to oem.

Didn't even think to look into the settings, I've had two m units and both came default with the double tap start button to kill the ignition, so I just assumed it should work as is.

Offline guamjake

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 04:05:07 pm »
So Just an update- I have checked my wiring and have not found any issues. every time I hit start it starts without fault. Even when I hit the start button to cut the engine off the light on the m unit blinks as it has received the signal but then it continues to run. I have nothing wired to the kill circuit, is that necessary? I have checked settings in the m unit app and have not gotten anywhere.. there are no settings for the start/kill function. kinda stumped.. any help?

Another issue I've been having is no neutral light or oil pressure light is coming on. I have my neutral and oil pressure lights ran from the factory connection at the engine to the light and then the light has its own ground. Any ideas on this?

Thanks!

Offline kanak_atk

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 08:54:32 pm »
I ran into a similar issue when I scrapped the oem gauges and the new acewell came with only a neutral which I attached without issue. As for the oil pressure light, I bought a simple red LED and hooked up the negative(black) to the oem cable coming from the engine and ran the positive(red) into aux 2 on the m unit.

In the mo.ride app > click the cog in the upper right corner and go to settings > scroll down to aux 2 > select "active with ignition."

hope this helps in some way
82 CB650 "The Maytag"

Offline stocky

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 09:05:45 pm »
If the m unit is showing that it's working then it most likely wiring or something else. Nothing needs to be wired into the kill input. Maybe you can use a volt meter and test if it's actually killing the ignition when you double tap the start button, I'm stumped too? Perhaps a drawn out wiring diagram it'd be easier to help figure out. Also in the app there is a help section where you can chat with support, that might help.

Oil and neutral light has all been covered before and a search will yield a lot of good threads. Again, assuming the indicator lights are good, it is almost always wiring like a common worn out ground wire for the neutral light. Sounds like it's time to get out the volt meter and start ruling things out.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 04:57:29 am »
The only configuration you need to perform to have tap/double tap operate the RUN/KILL function is to setup the Controls menu, selecting 5 button option.

Pressing START once will fire the engine. A quick double-tap will KILL the motor. If it doesn't, you either have a button ground issue, or your mUnit is wonky.

If you want to verify the mUnit, create a small jumper for the START input. mUnit ON, ground the START wire. Motor should fire. Break the ground and double-tap the input. Does the motor die? If so, check your button wiring.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 05:08:07 am »
Another issue I've been having is no neutral light or oil pressure light is coming on. I have my neutral and oil pressure lights ran from the factory connection at the engine to the light and then the light has its own ground. Any ideas on this?
The factory OIL and NEU wires are grounds, not power. Reverse them at the gauge and tie the factory wires to the ground side only.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline guamjake

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 04:42:52 pm »
Okay so attempted the jumper cable method as sugested by cal and there was no difference in operation. fired up straight away then when going to cut off it didnt cut the engine off. I did notice though I can hear my starter solenoid clicking when I am trying to kill the engine. May this be the root ? how should I test it ? maybe contact revival cycles about the solenoid ? from everything I gather it is working off a 5 button setup also.

I will attempt wiring the neutral and oil pressure lights that way, im pretty sure thats how I had them wired and they kept killing my small 1 amp fuse though. IF I had them wired correctly i/e grounding with oem harness wires and power coming from AUX 2 and they were killing my fuse, how would that happen ?

Offline Nicklopic

• Hot Shot
  • New York
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 08:00:04 pm »
The neutral light and oil pressure light are switched grounds. Power should run to the gauge and starter solenoid not the switch itself.
Power goes to the gauge, which is constantly trying to power the lights but there is an incomplete circuit until (let’s use the oil pressure light as the example) the switch does not see oil pressure, closing  the circuit so current can flow through the light, grounding through the switch.

As for you’re start/stop issue, it doesn’t sound like you’ve integrated the M-unit properly into your starter solenoid wiring. The m-units start output should be what is triggering the solenoid not the switch itself. The start input should be grounded through your starter switch. (This is my assumption based on what you described without seeing your harness or diagram of what you actually did)
80' CB650
Build Thread