Author Topic: Terry's new new redneck K0 "Special"..........  (Read 47247 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: Terry's new new redneck K0 "Special"..........
« Reply #375 on: January 17, 2021, 06:42:31 pm »
Terry..... jealous of the miles you’re piling on! Ice and snow here. Enjoy and stay safe!! John D.

Thanks John, it's been a really mild summer here, only been a few days hovering close to 100 degrees, but that's good for me, the mid 70's are perfect for bike riding as far as I'm concerned, and I won't be riding the K0 as much once winter arrives, as I don't want to risk dropping it on a wet road and damaging any of the "Unobtainium" parts.

It was a really pleasant ride though, and a lot comfier than the VFR750, while the VFR doesn't have the real "Racers Crouch" that the RC51 (which I haven't ridden in years) has, my back was killing me by the time I got to Heathcote, whereas yesterday the upright sitting position on the K0 was way more "old fart friendly". The only problem with the K0's "sit up and beg" riding position is that over 80 MPH you become a human windsock, so I kept it between 70 and 80 for most of the ride. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #376 on: January 17, 2021, 11:57:54 pm »
80mph almost 130kmh is a very pleasant speed. My most common crusing speeds are within 70-120kmh on smaller good country roads. + Occasional on each ride up to 160 ... Faster just to verify that everything is working properly.

But I have no problem with higher speeds on both my bikes. Which is relative;)  These old bike's barely enter speeds after 200kmh ;D

I have the lower bars, around 5cm higher than dragbars.

My old helmet, a Shoei race replica from 1989-1990 was not made for upward position. Helmet lifted upwards at 130-140 (then with dragbars) like my cheap Nolan did 1977 on my Zundapp KS125.

My helmet before Shoei, Jebs Clay Regazzoni just sat harder down faster I rode.

My current helmets, Schubert C3 Pro have better shape and sit nice in upward positions. Max tested just over 210kmh on speedo.

If the wind is an issue. Install a small clear windshield some have showed on the forum.  But that might remove the nice old Honda stock look.

It will protect gauges and stuff around from kamikaze insects that are boring to remove when dried stucked on everything.

I would consider one if easy to install and remove just to avoid all dead insects.
CB750 K6-76 1005cc JMR Billet block.
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #377 on: January 18, 2021, 02:01:12 am »
Yeah mate, my Shoei open face Harley helmet is sh1t, my glasses want to come off at 60 MPH, but my new Nolan is fantastic, I didn't use the snap in chin guard, but it's stable at 250 KPH on my FJR1300 with the fairing screen down. No fairings or any of that sh1t on the K0, I'll eat the bugs first. I got hit in the larynx by a bug the size of a golf ball on the VFR750 at around 180 KPH, I thought I'd been shot! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #378 on: January 18, 2021, 07:25:40 am »
Terry, Australia, land of things to kill ya...even the bugs can get ya. Cannot imagine getting hit at that speed!
I took a ride on interstate I10 from Tucson down to Benson, AZ and then on to Sierra Vista and time at 75-85 on the VStrom without the windshield in place and it was a lot colder (40-45F much of the ride) and I was getting a lit of buffeting around Semis and it was fortunately not a gusty windy day. It is a great touring bike but I won't be riding it a lot without the windscreen and I intend to buy one of the windscreen extensions to direct air up and past the helmet. My torso heught if my kegs wrre proportional I would be maybe 6'8" or 6'7" easily... Shrunk from 6'4.25" in my youth to 6'3". Spinal deterioration and getting old sucks. I cannot do the forward lean riding positions, causes my carpal tunnel to flare up and kills my neck. One of the reasons I bought the VStrom was the riding position. My helmet is pretty neutral not wanting to lift nor pushing my head down. Arai Signet-X fits very well and I am very glad I bought it. My first Arai helmet.
I cannot believe the number of people who will wear helmets that are too large or that do not fit. They are ignorant of the proper protection needed by the helmet and fact a helmet that is too big can hurt you in an accident. Getting hurt in a MC accident is high enough risk anyway without adding to that not having gear that is going to help you.
Great you are enjoying the bike and it looks fantastic!
You gonna take some lipstick shots with the tank you shot with the side covers before you have to soak the bugs off the bike or are we gonna have to beg you to do it? LOL! ;)
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #379 on: January 18, 2021, 08:07:40 am »
Get a fat bumblebee in the face in around 170kmh is also painful, or a sudden hail storm, only max 10mm size.
I had an open helmet sometimes in early 80's.

I got a middle sized bird, like a small crow or raven on my shoulder/neck  finally hit my helmet with a louf bang. I rode in 80-90 kmh so it was OK. Very thick lesther jacket that saved me to get colored skin.

Some birds sits in the ditches beside the road waiting to fly up over the road hitting something.

First time one hit me. Before that only small stupids birds hitting the helmet in 170-180kmh making their last fart ever. I have been worried to get one thru the visor, though.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:25:25 am by PeWe »
CB750 K6-76 1005cc JMR Billet block.
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #380 on: January 19, 2021, 04:41:28 am »
Thanks guys, believe it or not, I'm still waiting for the OEM fuel cap and petcock I ordered when I started to paint the K0 tank almost 3 months ago? Last I checked, they're in Australia, somewhere.

I'm really struggling now that I'm back to "working from home". For the last 4 weeks after Christmas, if it was a nice day, I'd go for a ride. Today I had a sh1t day that got so frustrating I just wanted to jump on the old red beast and go get a pie at the Heathcote Bakery.
What was a sh1t day turned into a great day though, when I made an enquiry on a FB ad for a very tired old Yamaha DT250. It's been left outside for a long time, but Frank, the seller is a great guy, and it turned out that he has some Z1 parts I need, so we've come up with a deal that will score me 2 tired DT250's (with enough bits to make one bike, and spares for the 360) and the parts I need to install stock wheels on my 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B, so I can put the Lesters on my K1 project.

I've asked Spotty to assist with collection/hiding the bikes from my wife, so it'll be good to meet a great like-minded guy, pick up some more bikes and parts, and do a road trip with Spotty. Some days can start out sh1t, and just by chance, turn into strawberry jam. ;D

Online jaytee-nz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #381 on: January 19, 2021, 12:28:37 pm »
It truly is an addiction !

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #382 on: January 19, 2021, 03:43:00 pm »
And the ute? ::)
The older I get the faster I was.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #383 on: January 19, 2021, 04:23:12 pm »
Thanks men. the ute is still happening Brian, my cuz (the world's best motorcycle mechanic, IMHO) has the two Puch "Twingles" waiting for me to collect, and on the weekend he texted me a pic of a couple of old VeloSolex scooters (really just heavy duty bicycles with engines mounted on the front wheel) that he's decided to give me, along with the ute.

The ute (old Isuzu something or other) has a blown head gasket, so he's installing a new one, then taking it in for a Roadworthy Certificate inspection, then loading all the bikes in the back so I can drive it back to Melbourne, park all the bikes in Spotty's garage, and get the ute registered. (I can drive it home on an "Unregistered vehicle permit)

He hasn't done the head gasket yet because he's in the process of selling his beautiful old haunted house in Bairnsdale and moving his life collection of vintage cars and bikes out to a 5 acre property about 15 miles out of town. It was an old farm, so as a house and some old sheds, but he's put up a huge shed for all of his cars, bikes and machinery (lathe/mill etc) and decided that I needed the Puch's and Solex's more than he does. I've told him there's no rush, it's not like I'm short of projects right now?

My wife would probably argue that I don't need any more bikes so I might find a cheap temporary rental shop with a showroom, and open "Honest Uncle Terry's Classic Motorcycle Emporium" and sell as many bikes and parts as I can, and just keep the ones I love. Hell, if I get an ABN, I can run it at a loss and get free money from the government! ;D     

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #384 on: January 19, 2021, 04:35:02 pm »
That sounds like a plan uncle Terry  :D
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #385 on: January 19, 2021, 04:50:02 pm »
That sounds like a plan uncle Terry  :D

Thanks Bill, and remember, "The prices of Honest Uncle Terry's bikes are Sofa-King low"! ;D

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #386 on: January 19, 2021, 06:02:51 pm »
There's an excuse for a vapor blasting setup in there somewhere too.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #387 on: January 19, 2021, 07:26:46 pm »
Now that’s an idea Alan, I’ll rename it to capture both sides of the business to “Honest Uncle Terry’s Blasts from the Past”! ;D

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #388 on: January 19, 2021, 07:48:11 pm »
And you can set up your day-job office there and work "from home"

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #389 on: January 19, 2021, 07:52:11 pm »
And you can set up your day-job office there and work "from home"

Now that’s gold Alan, you’re an ideas man! ;D

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #390 on: January 19, 2021, 08:30:50 pm »
Thanks! I hope you can build on it.

Unfortunately for me I keep sidetracking myself from my projects with "new ideas."

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=j6skb1gbdqbe9ocissgq66nu10&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #391 on: January 20, 2021, 08:37:36 am »
those velo"s is just a bicycle(as the name says).

.there is somthing magig abaut them..just like sailing on a vind driven ship..they just move..as they aer pushed by a angel,,(as adolf gallan said abaut the Messerschmidt 626)...

denmark had a licens build of them..and exported to the Nordic contryes..but dont think they sold very well..as mauntens and hills..killed the 0,8 hp engine..but the pandcake land denmark..they vorked fine

the engine had a fuel pump..and is close related/inspired from aeroplane engines from 1920

you can get a new one...made in china...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 08:57:20 am by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #392 on: January 20, 2021, 01:48:18 pm »
Thanks Lars, I haven’t ridden the ones I’m inheriting from my cuz, but rode one in Amsterdam in 1974, and loved it.

Europe was full of mopeds back then, and I helped a girl around my age who lived next door to the little hotel I was staying at then get hers going one day, and she invited me to take it for a ride, and I still have fond memories of riding the cobbled streets along the canals there.

My uncle rode one all over Europe in the 50’s, not sure if it was a Solex, but had an engine mounted on the front wheel like a Solex. I have no idea what I’ll do with them, they might just make nice garage art. ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #393 on: January 20, 2021, 05:20:51 pm »
That Velo brings back memories of my first ride with power. My Mom took my sister and I to Italy, in 1966, to meet her parents and sisters. I was 13. My youngest Aunt was a teacher that used her Velo to go to her teaching college in the mornings. I would sit on the back carrier for the trip, then take it back for the other sister to use during the day. Late in the afternoon, back to school for “last Bell”. The only rule was to shut it down, pull the roller up and pedal, if I spotted the local policeman..... Best summer ever!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #394 on: January 22, 2021, 01:13:19 am »
Do you know what I hate? I hate it when I write several paragraphs, and then for some reason best known to a pencil necked computer wizz, it all disappears in front of you, with no way of retrieving it! Grrrrrr!

Anyhoo, yep, as much as I love mega horsepower bikes, I also love anything with 2 wheels and an engine, or more. Here's a pic of my twin engined bicycle I built one Christmas many years ago:

photo 2 (28) by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Back then I was 330 pounds, and one day I was happily passing cars on a main road near my place limited to 40 MPH. I saw a cop car in a side street to my left, so shut off the engines and pretended to pedal the bike as I went past them at close to 50 MPH. The sight of a huge fat sweaty man pedalling a heavy bike faster than Lance Armstrong at his best was obviously too much for them, instead of pulling me over, they were both pissing themselves laughing, and just drove past me, smiling and waving. I haven't fired it up in ages, I must take it for a lap for old times sake.

Yesterday was a hot one, so rather than work outside on one of the bikes, I decided to set up those NOS K0 switches I bought from John, on the OEM bars.   

K0 Thursday 21 Jan 2021 2 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

When I cut the holes in the repro bars I made the holes for the wires I made them nice and big to feed the wires thru easily, but the OEM bars were a bit tighter. No problem though, the new cable harnesses went thru with no issues. I also fitted a new NOS handgrip.

K0 Thursday 21 Jan 2021 3 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

So it was all done, I just need to remove the old bars and disconnect the harnesses, but tomorrow's gonna be a nice day, so I'll do a pie run and install the bars on Sunday when it's gonna be close to 100 deg F, and too hot for riding:

K0 Thursday 21 Jan 2021 4 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I carefully packed the assembly back in the plastic bag to protect it until I install it, which is great.

K0 Thursday 21 Jan 2021 5 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

More pics to come after I install the new bars and switches. ;D

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #395 on: January 22, 2021, 08:15:59 am »
How about a few pictures and information on the bicycle over on the "other bikes" page? Looks interesting.
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #396 on: January 22, 2021, 12:15:16 pm »
Terry...... NICE! what vendor did you order the bars from?

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #397 on: January 22, 2021, 12:34:57 pm »
How about a few pictures and information on the bicycle over on the "other bikes" page? Looks interesting.

That's one high performance motorbike there Terry  :D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #398 on: January 22, 2021, 04:24:19 pm »
Thanks Guys, the poor old twin engined bicycle is looking a bit tatty now, I did install expansion chambers a couple of years ago and attempted to install a jackshaft assembly so that I could use the bicycle's gears, but the quality of the kit I bought was so bad I threw it away. I may just install a smaller rear sprocket to gear it up a bit for more top speed, it was all getting a little too complicated anyway.

John, I bought the bars from a seller in France, when they arrived there was a CMSNL catalogue in the box, so not sure if it was from an agent in France? Anyway, they were expensive, but shipping was cheap, and super fast (4 days from France to my front door in Oz) so overall, worth it.

As much as I want to keep it as original as possible, I'm less than impressed with the front brakes, so in the interest of safety I'm getting Hugh Robinson to make me a drilled cast iron rotor and mount it on a spare K0 carrier, and I've ordered braided lines. I know some of the rivet counters will probably cry "Heretic!" but once again, it's a rider, not a show bike, so no biggie.

Speaking of riders, I'm taking it for a pie run to Heathcote again today, which will be another 130-140 miler, and a nice distance for both of us old crocs...... ;D   

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #399 on: January 22, 2021, 05:47:15 pm »
How does the power of it feel to you with those better OEM Honda 'high dome' pistons Terry ?