Author Topic: Cb500 Norris Cam identification  (Read 1166 times)

Offline Malovski

Cb500 Norris Cam identification
« on: October 08, 2020, 12:15:39 pm »
Hey! This camshaft came up for sale earlier this week and the seller does not know anything about it except that he took it out of a cb500 engine that hes parting out. The bike also had a 605cc bore kit and cb750 carbs so I'm guessing it's a aggressive cam. Does anyone have some info on the camspecs?
Thanks!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 12:21:20 pm by Malovski »

Offline johno

• Expert
Re: Cb500 Norris Cam identification
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 04:34:04 pm »
I don't know much about Norris and looks like there is not enough info on the cam for others to identify it.
Best bet is to set it up on the head on a bench, with light weak springs on the valve, bolt a degree wheel to end of cam, then use use a dial indicator to measure the duration of valve is opened and the amount of lift. That will give you enough info to compare to other cams on the cycle x website.  Rough but you will be able to determine mild, medium or wild  ;D
GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.

Offline per

Re: Cb500 Norris Cam identification
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 09:29:00 am »
Hi
I had a Norris cam fitted once in my 592 cb 500. They had three grinds back then. One drop in mild one  , one they called a "D" grind which was presented as being of 280 deg duration, needing spring kit and one full race one called an "RR3" was was a claimed 290 degrees. That is the one I had with 592cc, cb 650 carbs, a ported head  and god only knows what pipe I had on back then. It pulled like crazy between 7500 and 11500. I saw 1100 rpm on the back straight of the track  I used to visit in Linköping where I lived at the time. That motor blew up after a year or so, cracking two piston and chewing up one big end. Made some interesting noices, I recall. I would guess yours is a RR3 grind by the looks of the markings, but Im not sure.
Cheers..........Per
"Of course they are faster than me. They are young, fit and fearless, I am old, fat and scared!"