Author Topic: Push to cancel indicator switch  (Read 900 times)

Offline 71 V12

Push to cancel indicator switch
« on: October 17, 2020, 02:58:38 am »
I find the direction indicator switch a fiddle to cancel, sometimes I push the indicator switch past the centre position to cancel and start indicating again - dangerous!

Does anyone know of left switch with a push to cancel indicator switch to fit my CB750K4?

The switch would need to have clutch lever and mirror mounting ideally. I am not concerned if it looks a little out of character for the 70’s Honda, more concerned about finding a safe, reliable solution.

Many thanks,

Kevin

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Re: Push to cancel indicator switch
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 03:02:35 am »
I think only Yamaha had that option
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Online newday777

• Old Timer
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 05:28:14 am »
I find the direction indicator switch a fiddle to cancel, sometimes I push the indicator switch past the centre position to cancel and start indicating again - dangerous!

Does anyone know of left switch with a push to cancel indicator switch to fit my CB750K4?

The switch would need to have clutch lever and mirror mounting ideally. I am not concerned if it looks a little out of character for the 70’s Honda, more concerned about finding a safe, reliable solution.

Many thanks,

Kevin

Put your left switch assembly in a 2 gal Ziploc baggie to pull apart without loosing spring and ball bearing. Clean out the old grease that has gummed up and put in new grease so the spring pushes the ball bearing to put proper tension on the lever to help not go past center like you are getting. The old grease has become sticky.
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

Offline 71 V12

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 09:28:43 am »
I think only Yamaha had that option

The last bike I had with push to cancel indicators was a 1991 Kawasaki Zephyr, but the clutch lever and mirror mounts were separate parts.

Any others?

Offline 71 V12

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 09:31:10 am »

Many thanks,

Kevin

Put your left switch assembly in a 2 gal Ziploc baggie to pull apart without loosing spring and ball bearing. Clean out the old grease that has gummed up and put in new grease so the spring pushes the ball bearing to put proper tension on the lever to help not go past center like you are getting. The old grease has become sticky.

Tried that already. I really would prefer push to cancel.

Offline Nurse Julie

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 12:53:57 am »
Our Honda CD250u's have push to cancel as standard Kevin.
Trust me I'm a Nurse, I promise it won't hurt....much

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 06:21:31 am »
My 2008 Kawasaki KLR650 has a “push to cancel” and it really works well. It has the clutch safety switch and high/low beam, horn controls  too. Might be an option?

Offline 71 V12

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 09:47:55 am »
Thank you Julie and Benelli for your suggestion which are both good options if I can’t find a left switch with a push to cancel direction indicator switch with integrated clutch and mirror mounts as per the CB750k left switch.

The left switch spec I seek is push to cancel indicators with clutch/ mirror mounts in the casting.

This spec must have been made by one of the manufacturers, just need to find it 🤔

Offline robvangulik

• Honda Fourever
  • Expert
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 12:25:34 pm »
Honda made loads of bikes with those switches, starting in the eighties, the trick is to find the ones with all the other features you want.
Start reading tests from that era.....