Author Topic: Vintage Keihin CR31mm Smoothbore (ticklers) Carbs  (Read 4292 times)

Offline dhidaka

Vintage Keihin CR31mm Smoothbore (ticklers) Carbs
« on: December 14, 2020, 01:14:56 pm »
I have a set of  Keihin CR31mm Smoothbore (ticklers) carbs that I need to restore. I have had these for 40 years plus, mostly getting shelf time. They were on my drag bike years past. I plan to sell them as I am getting of age when I need to lighten up on stuff. After disassembly I will soda blast them and then put them in my ultrasonic cleaner.  The problem before beginning is that I need a set of float bowl O-rings. Of course, the originals are stiff and hard and unusable. Doing research, I think Honda 500-4 will work. Maybe XL250/350 Motosport models. Anyone know what I can use for sure?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 02:36:39 pm by dhidaka »

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
Re: Vintage Keihin CR31mm Smoothbore (ticklers) Carbs
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 03:19:10 pm »
If the originals are hardened but intact..........soak them for a week or longer in wintergreen oil or a mixture of Dawn Detergent & Marvel's Mystery Oil.  I've had good results that have lasted for 5 or more years.
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 03:27:56 pm »
Not sure about o-rings but I suggest you have them vapor blasted.  I've had a couple sets of my Kawasaki [Z1 & H2] Mikunis done and they came out and still look great!

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline dhidaka

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 05:06:24 pm »
If the originals are hardened but intact..........soak them for a week or longer in wintergreen oil or a mixture of Dawn Detergent & Marvel's Mystery Oil.  I've had good results that have lasted for 5 or more years.

Good thought and thanks for the reminder. I have some wintergreen oil and will give that a try if I cannot locate some fresh O-rings. Never heard about using Dawn and MMO.

Offline dhidaka

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 05:12:32 pm »
Not sure about o-rings but I suggest you have them vapor blasted.  I've had a couple sets of my Kawasaki [Z1 & H2] Mikunis done and they came out and still look great!

Thanks, but I would have to send carbs out for vapor blasting. I already have a soda blaster and a glass bead blaster (which I won't use on carbs). I could soda blast small parts at home without fear of losing them then if I sent everything out.

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 03:48:04 am »
any thoughts on how much you'd sell them for? Might be a nice addition to my race bike.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 11:09:00 am »
any thoughts on how much you'd sell them for? Might be a nice addition to my race bike.
take no offense, but considering the market value of a tickler carbs set, it is more like your bike might be a nice addition to these carbs...

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 07:11:16 pm »
Be nice if the ticklers were that cheap  ;D
GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 07:13:07 pm »
Aren't 31s a bit big for a 550??
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 04:32:34 am »

yes, I'd split them into two sets for my 350 twin bikes. AHRMA wont allow CR Specials but they will allow with ticklers. Very competitive class, the 2T bikes are starting to gang up on the 4T guys, need to stay ahead.

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 05:15:46 am »

yes, I'd split them into two sets for my 350 twin bikes. AHRMA wont allow CR Specials but they will allow with ticklers. Very competitive class, the 2T bikes are starting to gang up on the 4T guys, need to stay ahead.

AHRMA doesn’t allow “modern” Keihin CR carbs in which class? 🤔.  They are certainly allowed in some AHRMA classes.

George

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 08:12:52 am »
lets say this is more inline with ticklers value

http://www.keihin-fcr.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=66

remember seeing them go for even more some years ago,

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 09:55:42 am »

AHRMA doesn’t allow “modern” Keihin CR carbs in which class? 🤔.  They are certainly allowed in some AHRMA classes.

George

yes, they are allowed in AHRMA for certain engines/classes, we cannot use them on a CB350 Twin, the non sense part is you can run a CB350 four or a CB400 four with CR Specials against a CB350 twin in same class but the twin cant use CR Specials.

Offline Finnigan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2021, 11:15:50 am »
Educating myself on these more but how can a set of carbs be worth that much? Is it the rarity that drives the price up or are they really enhancing performance that much?

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2021, 11:44:06 am »
rarity, unlike "regular" CR racks, ticklers are not made anymore, if you want to make a 100% correct CR750 replica, it must be those

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2021, 11:49:11 am »
Regarding value, IMHO there is a BIG difference between the earliest (late 60s through early 70s) sandcast cr ticklers with no idle circuit and the replacement diecast version with an idle circuit that looked just like them(at a glance anyway) offered in much larger volumes.

The early sandcast ones have sold in the multi thousands.  The diecast early style ones between the mid hundreds to mid 1000s other than the guys trying to get lucky from a wealthy Japanese buyer or something.

George
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 11:55:15 am by gschuld »

Offline napoleonb

• Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2021, 12:41:45 pm »
Regarding value, IMHO there is a BIG difference between the earliest (late 60s through early 70s) sandcast cr ticklers with no idle circuit and the replacement diecast version with an idle circuit that looked just like them(at a glance anyway) offered in much larger volumes.

The early sandcast ones have sold in the multi thousands.  The diecast early style ones between the mid hundreds to mid 1000s other than the guys trying to get lucky from a wealthy Japanese buyer or something.

George

I agree, those who ask over the top amount for carbs are on the internet for ages.
Just like any other real impression you have to find the amount where multiple sets sold for (1000 to 1600 for diecast ticklers)
Sandcasts are in another ballpark off course.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2021, 03:12:35 pm »
Hmm., i sold an old  single carb not for Honda... I got from an old machinist  a few decades back, it sold for 700. US..
 And apparently  likely worth more.  I found a home for it in Instagram..
 Good to see it will help out an old bike on the road someday soon.
 Play guess the bike its from.. it's from the teens.. over a hundred years old.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 04:46:02 pm by 754 »
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2021, 09:49:10 pm »

George

yes, they are allowed in AHRMA for certain engines/classes, we cannot use them on a CB350 Twin, the non sense part is you can run a CB350 four or a CB400 four with CR Specials against a CB350 twin in same class but the twin cant use CR Specials.
What carbs are allowed? What are you running now? Would a Weber DCOE be allowed? ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2021, 09:22:48 am »

[/quote]
What carbs are allowed? What are you running now? Would a Weber DCOE be allowed? ;D
[/quote]

we can run most any carburetor that is not a smooth bore or flat slide. I run the cheap Mikuni VM series.

Where do I find info on the Weber?

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2021, 09:36:18 am »
What specific AHRMA class are you running the 350 in?

George

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2021, 10:03:15 am »
been after a set of these for a couple of years now , was offered a set in december  for 40 thousand quid . i emailed him for details but he had already sold them .