Author Topic: New hookup on m-unit blue, getting emergency flashers instead of turn signals  (Read 840 times)

Offline ralt12

• Enthusiast
Wiring up the m-unit blue for the first time, using Messner Moto’s switches. When I connect the unit to power, indicators (front and rear) come on (like I believe they are supposed to). Headlight comes on with a press of the button, and another press toggles high beam. Horn works. My hang up here is turn signals. Regardless of whether I press left or right, I get emergency flashers. Disconnected the right signal input, still the same. Reconnected the right input, disconnected the left, still emergency flashers.
Both indicator lights are on in the instrument, but I don’t know if that’s because they’re on as daytime running lights.
Any ideas as to whether I’ve fouled this up or is it a bad m-unit ?

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Some of what you are describing may be related to programming with m.ride app. Have you done this?

From the manual:
Direction indicators
Automatic shut-off can be activated in the setup menu. If this feature is activated, a count- down will start once the signal is flashing. When the set countdown has ended, the direction indicators stop flashing. Activating the brake stops the countdown. Releasing the brake restarts the countdown in its full time length. If pushbuttons are used for the direction indicator control and a timeout has been selected in the setup, a brief pressing of the pushbutton activates the lane change function. Pressing and holding down the pushbutton for longer than one second deactivates the countdown.
Hazard light
To activate the hazard light, press and hold down the pushbuttons for left and right direction indicators for 2 seconds. If a direction indicator switch is used, the hazard light function can only be activated if a additional hazard light switch is activating both turn light inputs at the same time. The hazard light mode will stay active even if the main (ignition) switch is deactivated.

And which configuration do you have programmed for the button menu? A, C, or E?
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline ralt12

• Enthusiast
Thanks for pointing me in what seems to be the right direction; the m-unit app was having a hard time recognizing that my account was my account, and changing my password on the phone wasn't working. I was successful on the iPad. So now I have updated firmware and when I bleed the brakes I can start the setup process.
Programmed for the A button.
Thanks so much.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 11:29:53 am by ralt12 »

Offline ralt12

• Enthusiast
First fix--had neglected the diodes for the turn signal indicators, which caused feedback though the turn signal system.